Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applemais

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2015
UPDATE. I finally cut my Philippines SMART micro sim to nano sim. Inserted it into my Verizon iphone 6+ with the "US GSM/VZW N61/N56" notation, and it works fine - no "invalid sim" messge. Put it in a Tmobile locked 6+ and the SMART sim comes up invalid sim as expected.

So, that iphone 6+ that has the limited Verizon N61/N56 policy seems to be OK with an international sim - it just says "no service." Carrier in Setting/About is noted as SMART.

Will update in two weeks when I am back in the Philippines to see if all is well. If not, I will three iphone 6+ ipods for sale....

does the model number of your phone begin with "SVC" ???? for example here is the one I have that is locked.... Model: SVC,IPHONE 6 PLUS,MM,16GB,GOLD,CI/AR

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
does the model number of your phone begin with "SVC" ???? for example here is the one I have that is locked.... Model: SVC,IPHONE 6 PLUS,MM,16GB,GOLD,CI/AR

Where is this model information? Something on the phone (like in Settings)?

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Purchased full price from Verizon (6+)

IMEI: 354XXXXXXX
S/N: F2LNXXXXXXXXX
Model: IPHONE 6 PLUS SPACE GRAY 64GB VERZN-USA
ICCID: 891480000XXXXXXXX
Activated: Yes
iOS: iOS.X
First Activation Date: 2014-09-19
Last Activation Date: 2014-12-10
Warranty Ends on: 2015-09-18
Purchase Date: 2014-09-19
Bluetooth Mac Address: A88E2XXXXXXX
WiFi Mac Address: A88E24XXXXXX
Find my iPhone: ON
ZIP/SSN Required: N/A
Initial Activation Policy Description: 2023 - US Verizon Activation Policy
Next Tether Policy Details: 2023 - US Verizon Activation Policy
Lock Status: Unlocked

applemais

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2015

I believe this phone will be gsm unlocked with overseas sim and not a problem. all the phones I know that are overseas locked the "model" begins with "SVC"....

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Which online database is everyone using?--I have no issue paying for the report, but some don't seem to include full info.

The replacement Apple gave me for my full price unlocked TMo iPhone 6 isn't showing as unlocked in places like Swappa--the original did. So now I'm curious to see if it somehow has this Verizon activation policy on it, since Apple pulls all replacements from one pool of refurbs. Works fine on Tmo, accepts a dead AT&T SIM without squawking about needing activation (unlike the only locked phone in the house, an AT&T iPhone 5 that you can't use at all without a AT&T SIM). So it's unlocked domestically. But I have no foreign SIM on hand to test, and the fact that the sites show it as locked or unknown makes me uneasy from a resale perspective.

applemais

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2015
Which online database is everyone using?--I have no issue paying for the report, but some don't seem to include full info.

The replacement Apple gave me for my full price unlocked TMo iPhone 6 isn't showing as unlocked in places like Swappa--the original did. So now I'm curious to see if it somehow has this Verizon activation policy on it, since Apple pulls all replacements from one pool of refurbs. Works fine on Tmo, accepts a dead AT&T SIM without squawking about needing activation (unlike the only locked phone in the house, an AT&T iPhone 5 that you can't use at all without a AT&T SIM). So it's unlocked domestically. But I have no foreign SIM on hand to test, and the fact that the sites show it as locked or unknown makes me uneasy from a resale perspective.

I used the site swiftunlocks.com to retrieve the info. I have three verizon phones that are all locked and will not accept overseas sim. I noticed that these phones are all reported as locked and the "model" states "SVC" which I am thinking may indicate these are "service replacement phone" but I am not positive of this. I am positive though that the old truth that all Verizon phones are gsm unlocked for domestic and overseas use is no longer true.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Sigh. So it has the "bad" policy, and it's an SVC model, which supports the theory that at least some replacements are tagged with SVC. But what does "multi mode unlock" mean--haven't noticed that on anyone else's report? Seems like it might correctly be fully unlocked still. (And it's been connected to iTunes a number of times, so I had to laugh at the last line.)

Model: SVC,IPHONE 6,MM,64GB,SLVR,CI/AR
IMEI: 3544xxxxxxxxxxx
Serial Number: F7xxxxxxxxxx
Version: 8.1
Warranty Status: Apple Limited Warranty
Warranty Days Remaining: 568
Estimated Purchase Date: 11/10/14
Registration Date: 11/13/14
Bluetooth Mac Address: xxxxxxxxxx
Unbrick: True
First Unbrick Date: 12/16/14
Last Unbrick Date: 12/16/14
Activation Policy ID: 2320
Activation Policy Details: US GSM/VZW N61/N56 Service Policy
Next Tether Policy ID: 2303
Next Tether Policy Details: Multi-Mode Unlock
Purchase Country: United States
Sold To Name: APPLE
Carrier: Multi-Mode Unlock
Lock Status: Unlocked connect to iTunes

Last edited:

applemais

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2015
Sigh. So it has the "bad" policy, and it's an SVC model, which supports the theory that at least some replacements are tagged with SVC. But what does "multi mode unlock" mean--haven't noticed that on anyone else's report? Seems like it might correctly be fully unlocked still. (And it's been connected to iTunes a number of times, so I had to laugh at the last line.)

to tell you the truth i'm just feeling my way through this problem...... I sell hundereds of phones overseas and this is a new problem that I had never encountered before.... there isnt much for help anywhere and as far as I can tell no one has come with a solution..... I paid two different services to unlock and that did not resolve so I dont know if there is a fix..... Apple wasnt a solution and Verizon isnt going to do anything unless you are a customer......

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
to tell you the truth i'm just feeling my way through this problem...... I sell hundereds of phones overseas and this is a new problem that I had never encountered before.... there isnt much for help anywhere and as far as I can tell no one has come with a solution..... I paid two different services to unlock and that did not resolve so I dont know if there is a fix..... Apple wasnt a solution and Verizon isnt going to do anything unless you are a customer......

If third party unlocking didn't resolve things for your phones, unfortunately it sounds like continuing to politely badger Apple (and get moved up the customer support tree as another user here did) is about your only option then. It does seem like it's an issue on Apple's side rather than Verizon's.

My bet is that the "wrong" policy that shows on chicken67's phone and mine is why sites aren't showing it as unlocked, even though it really is. But without buying a foreign SIM, I can't test mine to be certain that it's actually internationally unlocked. I suppose that's the next step for me.

mangywarez

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2013

Hi "wxman2003" are you presently using this iPhone 6+ with a Verizon service ?

Allthings-I

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014

That device appears to be purchased directly from Apple store, it possible that Apple sold it as Unlocked device which changed the policy to Multi-Mode Unlock = Factory Unlock.

Its not the activation policy that determines the end result, its the NEXT TETHER Policy = What is the current SIM Slot status (Locked vs Unlocked)

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
That device appears to be purchased directly from Apple store, it possible that Apple sold it as Unlocked device which changed the policy to Multi-Mode Unlock = Factory Unlock.

Its not the activation policy that determines the end result, its the NEXT TETHER Policy = What is the current SIM Slot status (Locked vs Unlocked)

Got it, the next tether policy being the more important one makes perfect sense. The "multi mode" terminology threw me, because most reports I've seen only list Locked or Unlocked.

kai19

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2015
Friends, if any of you guys are in US, can you try buying a Verizon 4G activation kit (approx. cost $49.99 with 1 month of unlimited calling and 1GB 4G LTE) and see if the policy on the iPhone 6 changes. I happened to speak to Verizon and they claimed that this would work, after activation, the iPhone 6 has to stay hooked on to Verizon 4G LTE network between 24 to 48 hrs. and the policy change would automatically take place from (Domestic Unlocked - International Locked) to (Domestic Unlocked - International Unlocked).

Have anyone tried this way?

mangywarez

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2013
Have anyone tried this way?

Hey kai19..... I have sent my troubled iPhone 6 to USA with one of my friend who was traveling there for business. With the iPhone, i had also given him two SIM cards from carriers in India (without international roaming, hence they will not have service there). Before he left for USA, the iPhone was showing "SIM NOT VALID" error when i tried inserting both the SIM's in India.

On the first opportunity, he went straight to a Verizon store in Chicago and bought a 4G LTE Prepaid SIM for $49.99. He activated the iPhone 6 on Verizon's 4G LTE network properly and later tried inserting the two India carrier SIM's, to his surprise, both of them showed "Searching" near the network logo and finally showed "No Service". He later tried inserting and reinserting the Verizon 4G LTE SIM and the Indian carrier SIM's randomly and not a single time did it get stuck on the "Activation Required" screen. Having said that, i got an IMEI check done at IMEI.org, but was disappointed to know that it still showed the same tether policy (Domestic unlock & International Lock). Desperately hoping that the issue has been resolved and i will be able to use all international SIM's on that iPhone 6.

He is returning to India on 4th May'15 and i am eagerly waiting to lay my hands on my iPhone 6 to test it with an operational Indian carrier SIM. I will keep everyone posted on the result.

mangywarez

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2013
................................................................................................>

He is returning to India on 4th May'15 and i am eagerly waiting to lay my hands on my iPhone 6 to test it with an operational Indian carrier SIM. I will keep everyone posted on the result.

Guys, very disappointed to inform you that the above attempted solution has failed. The iPhone 6 is not accepting any international SIM and I am back to square one.

Allthings-I

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
Guys, very disappointed to inform you that the above attempted solution has failed. The iPhone 6 is not accepting any international SIM and I am back to square one.

Send it back to US and have them sell it on Craigslist in US and just get your money back that you can, there is nothing anyone can do at this point it seems.

I'm just glad I brought this information to people's attention because the issue despite only affecting <0.000001% of the phones, is there and for some people it ruins the experience they expect after spending their hard earned money.

DrNoellyG

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2011
OP is right at least in my case. I bought a Verizon iPhone 6 plus full price, worked great with Telcel SIM in Mexico City for a trip on two separate occasions. I broke it after a while by being stupid, my fault, so I went back to my old phone. Fast forward to last week and I get my girlfriend an iPhone 6 as her bday present, on a 2 year contract. We are currently in Mexico for Mother's day, I bought a Telcel SIM card yesterday and it's a no go, does not work, I get the same message OP talked about.

So my guess is, full price is completely unlocked and subsidized is not internationally locked. Sounds right? Just my experience guys.

Sheon

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2015
Popped in a AU KDDI sim in my Verizon 6 plus while roaming in Hawaii and it caught service just fine.

Said "roaming" at the top was able to make and receive calls

martez

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2015
Hi guys,

I currently have this issue as well. I bought my from eBay factory unlocked but when i tried a SIM from a GSM carrier in the Caribbean i get SIM NOT VALID. I have tried unlock services, have contacted Verizon (they said it's an Apple issue), so i contact Apple and they said it's a Verizon issue. From what i've read here it's the policy assigned thing.

What can i do to get it unlocked? :(

Thank you for your time.

Here's some info on the model

Verizon iPhone 6 Gold
IMEI: xxxxxx060907562
Original Serial: FDNP409BG5MF
Model Number: A1549
Order Number: MG4Q2
Network: GSM/CDMA(Global)
Contract Status: Unknown
AppleCare Protection: No
Telephone Technical Support: Expired
Repairs & Service Coverage: February 9, 2016
Purchase Country: UNITED STATES
Purchase Date: February 10, 2015
Carrier: Us Verizon N94/n92a Multi-mode Commercial Service, Umts Vf Nl Locked
Factory Simlock: Locked
Find My iPhone: OFF
SIM Lock: Unknown

mebronson

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2015
I have the same problem with my apple issued verizon iPhone6.
My phone was replaced by The Applen Store when my screen cracked the first week using it in the US.

Just arrived in the UK and bought a sim card for O2 network, my 6 doesn't work with the sim card, but my old 5 does. Spent an hour on the phone with Verizon and they said it was an apple issue. I'll try to get to an Apple Store when I can (none in Oxford where I am now). Thankfully I took my 5 with me, but if anyone has figured this out, please let me know, and I will do the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.