Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

romeo.xk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
I do not recommend this case to anyone, the case leaked and ruined my I6+! It did ok empty, but with the phone in it, big FAIL, and yes, I checked everything before testing it with the phone, this is not my first waterproof case.

Stay away!

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
I do not recommend this case to anyone, the case leaked and ruined my I6+! It did ok empty, but with the phone in it, big FAIL, and yes, I checked everything before testing it with the phone, this is not my first waterproof case.

Stay away!

Where do you think it leaked from, the bottom, one of the sides?

romeo.xk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
Where do you think it leaked from, the bottom, one of the sides?

One of the sides, the edge on the sleep button side is wider than the volume side, even when the case is empty. Waiting to see what this people are gonna tell me now.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
Do any of these case makers offer a phone replacement warranty if they fail? Life proof when they first started claimed to, but people with the Nuud have gotten their phones toasted and now it doesn't sound like they stand by their product.

wackoip

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2011
I received it just before Easter and it failed the water test, leaking from bottom right and front left. Contact them and they want some high resolution photos or videos but their web site has only got like 100M limit or something ridiculously small size you can attach. Anyway I got around that by sending them a link to a video showing them how it leaked. Then they want me to squeeze so that they can determine where the leak is from! I got fed up and said that's your problem I'm not prepared to do another damn video. Then they asked me to send them back the case and said they will send me a new one if it's a manufacturing fault.

I'll see how that goes. It's a pain. But at least I'm in Hong Kong (where they ship from) and their customer service usually reply to your email within a couple of days.

Leggee

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2014
Japan
I've had my catalyst for the iPhone 6 for a few months now and couldn't be more satisfied. Been in rivers, baths and showers and no leaking. No rainbow effects like Lifeproof and the mute dial is perfect. Maybe the 6plus is different but I'd hate to think people would steer clear of it due the 6plus issues. The 6 has been great for me.

doxzilla

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2014
I've had mine for the 6 Plus since Tuesday and haven't had any issues with it all. Of the three waterproof cases that I've used (Redpepper, Obex, and Catalyst) this is my preferred case.

pmb0404

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2014
Oakwood, GA
I've had my catalyst for the iPhone 6 for a few months now and couldn't be more satisfied. Been in rivers, baths and showers and no leaking. No rainbow effects like Lifeproof and the mute dial is perfect. Maybe the 6plus is different but I'd hate to think people would steer clear of it due the 6plus issues. The 6 has been great for me.

Have you noticed any decrease in voice quality on calls? I don't always use a bluetooth and have heard that this can be a problem with waterproof cases. Is there a place to attach a lanyard on the Catalyst? Thanks!

Leggee

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2014
Japan
There is a place to attach a lanyard. I've had no issues with sound on voice calls or speaker calls.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
So is this a good buy for the 6 Plus? I'm in need of a good waterproof case.

I've done lots of research on water proof cases. For me I can't find one that I'm confident in. The best one I researched is the Lifeproof Nuud. I like that it doesn't come with the typical built in screen protectors that cause rainbow and hinder the quality of the iPhone screen. I had the Lifeproof Fre and returned it and the built in screen protector sucks. I'm assuming the Catalyst is the same or similar.

A coworker has the Nuud for his 6 and he dropped it in a puddle of water about a couple inches deep on concrete. His iPhone wasn't damaged at all and I was pretty impressed.

Leggee

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2014
Japan
I've done lots of research on water proof cases. For me I can't find one that I'm confident in. The best one I researched is the Lifeproof Nuud. I like that it doesn't come with the typical built in screen protectors that cause rainbow and hinder the quality of the iPhone screen. I had the Lifeproof Fre and returned it and the built in screen protector sucks. I'm assuming the Catalyst is the same or similar.

A coworker has the Nuud for his 6 and he dropped it in a puddle of water about a couple inches deep on concrete. His iPhone wasn't damaged at all and I was pretty impressed.
I've had four lifeproofs, iphone 4, two for the iphone5 and the recent frè for iphone 6. All worked perfectly in and out of water. I switched to the catalyst a couple of months ago and love it. None of the rainbow effect with the screen protector and the port cover is a lot easier to deal with compared to the lifeproof. It also feels a lot slicker than the lifeproof as in that there's no ear phone port covers jutting out. It just feels a lot more smoother. I still like the lifeproof but prefer the catalyst. Both definitely do the job in terms of water protection.

-ultimac-

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2014

Stay away!

Thanks for letting every one know

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.