Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
Nope. The new keyboard is a total disaster. Hopefully it gets scrapped entirely and never comes back, never mind spreads further.

Well, no. The new keyboard is great, and it's just a matter of time before Apple pushes it across their entire product line.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2015
I think the rMB keyboard is nice, but for now I prefer the MBA and rMBP keyboards... maybe it familiarity. The short time I had the rMB here with me I felt I enjoyed tying on the older keyboards more, the key travel and feedback felt more comfortable. but everyone has their preferences, apple has done a good job with both keyboards.

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2010
Imagine when Apple release an all new 8K iMac with an all new wireless keyboard similar to the one in the new Macbook...along with USB-C and all SSD as standard.

the current 5k iMac we have will be useless lol

BRING ON THE NEW KEYBOARD!!!! ;)

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Well, I think they keyboard is better sized, better looking, has a better back light and a better mechanism underneath it. If it were to come to the MBP is would be the same but with better travel. So....I think you'd actually like it if it came to the MBP. Travel is literally it's only drawback, and then it's up to you if you mind or not.

Good point. This probably will be the new keyboard across all macs, but for the pro it will have more travel, so the adjustment will not be as hard for people.

Johnny Alien

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2012
The new keyboard is fine on a device as thin as the new MacBook as most people are just going to use it occasionally/for travel, but if I am going to be typing for any length of time then I need the keys to have more travel.

+1. I seriously hope you guys are all wrong or if they do bring the keyboard over they modify it for longer travel on key press. They had serious limitations due to the thinness and they had to make compromises. I do not want a keyboard that was designed with compromises to be used in situations where those compromises don't need to be made. It is amazing what Apple was able to do with the size restrictions but the standard keyboard is still WAY better if you actually do a lot of typing.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I agree, old keyboard looks and feels old school. Terrible is a hunch, but the rMB is markedly improved.

I'm a belieber in the butterfly effect.

jobs_kutch.jpg

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
+1. I seriously hope you guys are all wrong or if they do bring the keyboard over they modify it for longer travel on key press. They had serious limitations due to the thinness and they had to make compromises. I do not want a keyboard that was designed with compromises to be used in situations where those compromises don't need to be made. It is amazing what Apple was able to do with the size restrictions but the standard keyboard is still WAY better if you actually do a lot of typing.

One would assume they could modify this butterfly mechanism based on the thickness of the device. I doubt the MacBook Pro will ever be as thin as the MacBook.

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
I love the new keyboard. LOVE it. I think they might bring it to the other machines, because no matter what, it allows them to cram in more battery.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Well, I think they keyboard is better sized, better looking, has a better back light and a better mechanism underneath it. If it were to come to the MBP is would be the same but with better travel. So....I think you'd actually like it if it came to the MBP. Travel is literally it's only drawback, and then it's up to you if you mind or not.

It's not.

It's sized much worse, and the feedback is uncomfortable and hurts my fingers.

It was the worst typing experience I'd ever had by a significant margin. The layout is vastly inferior to the existing 11 inch Macbook Air (which already suffered from a lack of travel).

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
By definition of the word disaster the new keyboard is clearly not one.

- It seems to fit:

New Oxford American Dictionary said:
• informal a person, act, or thing that is a failure: my perm is a total disaster.

Oxford Dictionary of English said:
• an event or fact that has unfortunate consequences: a string of personal disasters | [ mass noun ] : reduced legal aid could spell financial disaster.
• informal a person or thing that is a complete failure: lunch had turned out to be a total disaster.

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Went to best buy the other day and looked back at the MBPs and I feel like the keyboard looks really ugly. Even kind of round and wobbly (even if I never though they were wobbly before the rMB)

Even using my iMac keyboard.... I REALLY REALLY hope they put out a new iMac keyboard the same style as this one....I'd buy it so fast.

Anyone else feel the same way?

i don't think it's ugly, in fact, i wouldn't mind keep the old keyboard. I constantly find myself pressing wrong key (especially arrow keys and return keys)

what i HATE about the old keyboard is the light.. it literally bleed light so much, to the point I don't even have them on at night.

This rMB actually make me have the feature on

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.