Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you planning on buying AppleCare / Squaretrade?

• Applecare only

Votes: 41 39.8%
  • Squaretrade 2 year

Votes: 10 9.7%
  • Squaretrade 3 year

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Squaretrade + Applecare

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Nothing, I'll take my chances

Votes: 47 45.6%

• Total voters

falcora

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2011
My bet is that Apple will offer Applecare+ for the iPad 3, so you should be able to get accidental coverage straight from Apple.

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2010
They make so much money off of you dopes who buy extended warranties. Statistically, you'll come out better by not purchasing them.

AppleCare helps resale, it's transferable. I take good care of my stuff, and if for some reason it dies - new owner can have that extra peace of mind. Additionally, I have to have name and address of the new owner in order to transfer it, so less likely to get caught up in a scam.

Also the new owner thankfully for me these last two years is my mom and dad. I am happy they can depend upon Apple.

Jason S.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
Pennsylvania
I'm thinking about the Square Trade warranty, only for the fact they cover accidental damage.

I'm not rough with my stuff at all, and I've never dropped my phone or iPad 2 on a hard surface. But I've just been lucky, and if I let a friend or family member get a hold of my iPad, well...

I had a the Best Buy accidental plan on my iPad 2, because I got an employee discount on it. Never had to use it.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet, but Square Trade gives you 90 days from the date of purchase of the iPad to decide.

Delighted

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Extended warranty for ipads at the moment doesnt seem necessary to me. Most iDevices works just fine, I believe this is because of the minimal of the components that are in the iPad.

VS a macbook pro, the iPad has very little components inside. But I am confident that as the iPad becomes more advance the likelihood of components failing will increase.

So no, I would not get any extended warranty. Any possible chance of it failing would probably happen within that year.

esanker

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2012
I'll be using my AMEX card to purchase the iPad so I can avail the card's 90-day accidental warranty and 1 additional year of manufacturer's warranty. After the 90-day period is up, I will buy the Worth Ave 1 year iPad insurance.

kobyh15

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Bheleu said:
They make so much money off of you dopes who buy extended warranties. Statistically, you'll come out better by not purchasing them.

AppleCare helps resale, it's transferable. I take good care of my stuff, and if for some reason it dies - new owner can have that extra peace of mind. Additionally, I have to have name and address of the new owner in order to transfer it, so less likely to get caught up in a scam.

Also the new owner thankfully for me these last two years is my mom and dad. I am happy they can depend upon Apple.

Unless you're getting that 80 bucks back when you sell it it's not worth it.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
If apple care + is available I'll get that. If not, I'll wait till my warrantee is almost up and decide if I'm going to get the new one or keep it.

Hello...

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
I have a unopened AppleCare I bought at Walmart for 30 bucks on Clerance .

Lamarak

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
I get applecare because it makes reselling it so much easier and stand out over the ones selling without warranties. And if decide to keep then i have it anyway. In grand scheme of things, ive blown extra 80 bucks on worse things that dont nearly have the return on an apple product.

Any one with a used car or owns a house knows what i speak of. Or bought a 60 game just to sit on a shelf.

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
I'll be using my AMEX card to purchase the iPad so I can avail the card's 90-day accidental warranty and 1 additional year of manufacturer's warranty. After the 90-day period is up, I will buy the Worth Ave 1 year iPad insurance.
Read the Worth Ave "fine print."

"We will not cover loss or damage caused by mechanical breakdown or system failure if not caused by accidental damage."

I read that as if the unit dies for reasons other that accidental damage or it is stolen they don't cover it. So if you take a 2yr policy the 2nd year there will be no "failure" coverage (your home button stops working, the screen dies, the WiFi dies etc).

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
My home owners policy is only $50 bucks per year for the iPad and Thefts/drops/spills are included. But I will have to pay a $250 deductible, so no applecare for me.

esanker

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2012
Read the Worth Ave "fine print."

"We will not cover loss or damage caused by mechanical breakdown or system failure if not caused by accidental damage."

I read that as if the unit dies for reasons other that accidental damage or it is stolen they don't cover it. So if you take a 2yr policy the 2nd year there will be no "failure" coverage (your home button stops working, the screen dies, the WiFi dies etc).

Worth Ave is primarily for accidental damage. It doesn't cover mechanical breakdown, you have to use the manufacturer's warranty for that. Also if your iPad gets stolen it is also covered but there are some limitations to what they consider as stolen. Like for example if you forgot your iPad at a coffee shop and then when you return it's gone. You cannot claim it as stolen.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
I've wasted more money on applecare than I care to recount, so no, never again. The time I did have an issue it was within the year and the MW took care of it.

Apple care will only give you a small edge over the others at resale. Price, condition and any added software, apps, JB, unlock etc trumps applecare everytime when it comes to resale.

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
Worth Ave is primarily for accidental damage. It doesn't cover mechanical breakdown, you have to use the manufacturer's warranty for that. Also if your iPad gets stolen it is also covered but there are some limitations to what they consider as stolen. Like for example if you forgot your iPad at a coffee shop and then when you return it's gone. You cannot claim it as stolen.
Then you might as well get Squaretrade. About the same price, better coverage does cover "failures" and has no $50 deductible and there is always a 30% off coupon available.

Personally I wouldn't get either one but S.T. looks like the better value if one wants to waste their money on a warranty.

esanker

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2012
Then you might as well get Squaretrade. About the same price, better coverage does cover "failures" and has no $50 deductible and there is always a 30% off coupon available.

Personally I wouldn't get either one but S.T. looks like the better value if one wants to waste their money on a warranty.

For an iPad 2 16GB Wifi, Worth Ave's 1 year coverage costs $37 + $50 deductible = $87. While Squaretrade costs $69.99 for 1 year coverage. So Worth Ave cost more.

You can also look at it this way, if you buy Worth Ave insurance and end up not filing a claim, you're out $37 whereas with Squaretrade you lose $70.

Also from what I understand, Squaretrade only offers one-time replacement for the life of the policy whereas Worth Ave offers unlimited replacement. I think it's because of the fact that Squaretrade is a "warranty" whereas Worth Ave is an "insurance."

Also with Squaretrade you have to buy the warranty within 30 days of purchase while Worth Ave you can buy their insurance anytime.

Last edited:

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
For an iPad 2 16GB Wifi, Worth Ave's 1 year coverage costs $37 + $50 deductible = $87. While Squaretrade costs $69.99 for 1 year coverage. So Worth Ave cost more.

You can also look at it this way, if you buy Worth Ave insurance and end up not filing a claim, you're out $37 whereas with Squaretrade you lose $70.

Also from what I understand, Squaretrade only offers one-time replacement for the life of the policy whereas Worth Ave offers unlimited replacement. I think it's because of the fact that Squaretrade is a "warranty" whereas Worth Ave is an "insurance."

Also with Squaretrade you have to buy the warranty within 30 days of purchase while Worth Ave you can buy their insurance anytime.

Well, there are always 15,20 or 30% off coupons for ST. You are almost right on the "1 time replacement." They will pay UP TO the "purchase value" of the device. So you can have 1 $499 loss or 2 $250 losses or 1 $300 loss plus another $300 loss but they will only pay $200. So if you need a swap for a broken screen you would do it at Apple for $299 and they would send you $299 and you would still have $200 left towards future claims.

Reading Worth Ave's actual policy I'm not sure if they offer "unlimited replacement." Their wording is not clear but they may.

Insurable Interest: We do not cover more than your insurable interest in any property. Therefore, the limit of insurance must represent the replacement cost value of the property you are insuring.

I also believe ST charges the same for a 16GB wi-fi or a 64GB 3G so if you have something other than the 16GB Wi-Fi the price differential disappears.

Falc

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2008
Apple can kiss my ass. After all the hype and stories, they take my laptop in under AppleCare warranty, saying it will be 3-5 days to get it back. Instead I get a bill for $800 to replace all the guts on this 2012 MacBook Pro that isn't worth $800. They claim the found water damage and therefore void the warranty (even though the machine still runs just fine) so they won't replace 2of 4 rubber feet -- one missing altogether, the other badly worn -- which is probably how moisture got into it in the first place -- or the noisy grinding DVD drive. The complaint was about the battery indicator. So dont replace that, fix the rest? No, because your warranty is void and your machine may fail so we wouldn't want THAT, so we won't do anything. All these excuses to have taken good money and give nothing back for it. Talk about bad faith!

For the price of a new MacBook Pro, one can buy 2 PCs. They blew it. Fanboy no more, Apple. Hope it was worth it. ‪

Meanwhile, SquareTrade has always come through and the ONLY time it was a hassle was on a cell phone, which is through an affiliate of theirs. Besides, ST covers all that AppleCare does AND accidents, spills, etc, for less money. Go with ST. No question.

ckuttner

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2015
Portland, OR
ST or nothing

We've had a couple of iPad 2s for many years, and did not get an extended warranty on them. We all know that statistically, you do better not to buy an extended warranty. But a machine dying at age 18 months or getting stolen at 2 years can mess up one's budget badly.

As we're about to buy a couple of iPad Air 2s, the question of an extended warranty comes up. Applecare+ would run only for a total of two years from time of purchase. For just a bit more, $105 to Squaretrade, or less if they're running a coupon special, will get me three years of protection against system failure, dropping the iPad on the sidewalk, or whatever.

That means a gamble of $105 against the risk of something bad happening to my $584 machine in a three year period, or 18% of the price of the gadget.

I might decide to go with Squaretrade, but probably will self-insure. That $105 in the bank can go toward my next iPad or iPhone or whatever, and if the iPad dies in two years, I can probably buy a used one on eBay for not much money.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I took care of my iPad Air for a year and half now nothing happened (knock on wood) and I don't have an AppleCare but still have Assure insurance anyway. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.