Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

entraik

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
My iPhone 6 was great up until last when the screen started clicking out of nowhere. I went to the store, and they replaced the screen. Great, but now I had weird light leak issues (top right was dark).. went in a 2nd time, and they completely replaced the phone. This time the bottom half of my screen is yellowish, while the top half looks normal. Can I just deal with Apple customer service instead of making trips to the store? It's quite far and I haven't got the time.

Dennison

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2015
United States
My iPhone 6 was great up until last when the screen started clicking out of nowhere. I went to the store, and they replaced the screen. Great, but now I had weird light leak issues (top right was dark).. went in a 2nd time, and they completely replaced the phone. This time the bottom half of my screen is yellowish, while the top half looks normal. Can I just deal with Apple customer service instead of making trips to the store? It's quite far and I haven't got the time.

Sounds like the customer service you've gotten from Apple so far is beyond exemplary, despite your terrible luck with hardware issues. How far is your trip (do you drive there)?

entraik

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Sounds like the customer service you've gotten from Apple so far is beyond exemplary, despite your terrible luck with hardware issues. How far is your trip (do you drive there)?

Not really. It's their job.. They are really judgey and make me feel crazy for bringing in my phone for replacement because of small issues like this.. (well small to them) I dislike the vibe I get. It's a 25 minute drive there. However, I feel ridiculous walking into the store showing Apple employees color discoloration which they don't end up seeing. I'd much rather just deal with Apple over the phone. Is there an option for that?

Nickpocalypse

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2011
Vancouver, BC, CA
Not really. It's their job.. They are really judgey and make me feel crazy for bringing in my phone for replacement because of small issues like this.. (well small to them) I dislike the vibe I get. It's a 25 minute drive there. However, I feel ridiculous walking into the store showing Apple employees color discoloration which they don't end up seeing. I'd much rather just deal with Apple over the phone. Is there an option for that?

I feel as though talking to customer service over the phone would be far more inconvenient when trying to get issues dealt with. I'm sure they'll just tell you to make a Genius Bar appointment anyways.

I'm sorry you've had so many issues with your hardware, though... that of course is very unfortunate for an expensive piece of tech.

entraik

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
I feel as though talking to customer service over the phone would be far more inconvenient when trying to get issues dealt with. I'm sure they'll just tell you to make a Genius Bar appointment anyways.

I'm sorry you've had so many issues with your hardware, though... that of course is very unfortunate for an expensive piece of tech.

Can I request an express replacement for an issue like this? (Where they send you a replacement phone and you send yours in when you receive the new one)

Dennison

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2015
United States

I'm sorry if this offends you, but I have to be honest. From your description and language used here, it feels like you don't want to have to deal with going out and meeting with the people in the store. And there's nothing wrong with that, but it's just worth noting for perspective. Every single employee I've ever met inside of any Apple Store location I've been to is staggeringly nice, approachable, and accepting of any problems I may have. I often times end up having conversations (sometimes even for too long) with them about the products or other related things. If someone is really making you feel guilty for coming into the store with a problem, that's on that individual alone and you should talk to their manager. Also, a 25 minute drive is honestly pretty nice, my closest Apple Stores are 45 and 90+ minute drives, respectably.

If you'd rather not have to drive there or deal with Apple Store employees, you can send in your hardware into Apple for inspection and/or replacement. This process is way way more inconvenient in my opinion though. I consider you pretty lucky for having an Apple Store so close to home. I only wish!

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010

See this wrong.

It's so true that over the years the customer service experience has slipped. Even my friend who worked in their retail store said so.

This is rude and against the rules of customer service. These guys should never act like these exchanges are coming out of their paycheck.

If you are not a satisfied customer within reason it's their responsibility to help you with a positive non judgement all attitude.

You are dealing with the Apple corporation, not that individual. Apple would not want them to act that way if they represent the Apple family.

I would complain to the manager both calling the store and then talking to a manager in phone customer service and telling them how turned off you are.

And that you want them to send you a new replacement that is gonna work for sure.

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013

Why didn't you mention how judgmental they were in your initial post? What if Apple CS via phone can't reproduce your issue, will they be judgmental as well?

I just completed my first ship to Apple warranty repair. I was e-mailing two Apple employees back and forth. They couldn't have been more pleasant, listened to my concerns and resolved my issue.

I understand your frustration, but be thankful you have a store that close. Just keep going back until they fix it and they will.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Wow 25 minute ride! That would be awesome. Before we got a new store in Manchester, NH (an hour away), out closest store was in Salem at an hour and a half away.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
See this wrong.

It's so true that over the years the customer service experience has slipped. Even my friend who worked in their retail store said so.

This is rude and against the rules of customer service. These guys should never act like these exchanges are coming out of their paycheck.

If you are not a satisfied customer within reason it's their responsibility to help you with a positive non judgement all attitude.

You are dealing with the Apple corporation, not that individual. Apple would not want them to act that way if they represent the Apple family.

I would complain to the manager both calling the store and then talking to a manager in phone customer service and telling them how turned off you are.

And that you want them to send you a new replacement that is gonna work for sure.

The customer service is still there, it's just buried deep sometimes. I don't blame them tbh, as they've grown and the stores have gotten busier, they have to deal with a lot of BS on a day-to-day basis.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
Can I request an express replacement for an issue like this? (Where they send you a replacement phone and you send yours in when you receive the new one)

Yes they will do this until you are happy. I live about 160 miles from an Apple Store so and I've gone though the repair/replace through the mail process about 5 times. 1st iphone 6 had dark smudges/blotches in the middle of the screen so I sent it back. Second one had the FaceTime camera issue and a dark corner. Third one had super yellow bottom left and the whole screen color temperature shifted from a stained yellow color to a white. Fourth one had camera problem again and dark corner!! So finally they send me a brand new one in a retail box the last 3 were replacements. And drumroll... The screen is the best one I've seen but still has a fingerprint sized smudge in the middle right AND the camera has shifted again!! I gave up and I'm rocking this phone till the end of warranty and hoping the final phone I get is ok. Sick of sending back and I don't want to get a worse one. The quality control of the iphone 6 is the worst I've ever seen. My 4 and 5 were fine on the first go. Apples customer service has been almost creepily good though. They have never gotten weird or snippy at me they always just wanted me to be happy. My 2 cents. :)

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
The customer service is still there, it's just buried deep sometimes. I don't blame them tbh, as they've grown and the stores have gotten busier, they have to deal with a lot of BS on a day-to-day basis.

Well I understand they deal with a lot of random requests or attempts at fraud but that is exactly the challenge.

Don't let patterns of other "cheap" people reflect at all on my customer service experience. They should be consistent and neutral with every individual situation with the goal of customer satisfaction across the board.

I don't want my experience being tarnished by a pattern of someone elses behavior. They should stay neutral. I have spent tens of thousands of dollars there.

I don't want to treated with judgment or assumption as a left over of someones day to day annoyances.

If you are annoyed by customers or what they do or try to do you shouldn't be working in retail like that.

Alan Mac Farlan

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2015
Puppy kisses have great medicinal value ... sorry for the Computer God doing you wrong.

If you come from a broken home and you break things often in your history .. like broken jobs, broken marriages, broken futures ... etc ... then go fix up your broken heart.

Then all the other stuff gets sorted out as well as wall as your future being free of broken stuff.

As I said .. puppy kisses have great medicinal value.

snoopy3.gif

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

If they do send you another phone, it will not be new. It will be a refurb and was returned by someone who was unhappy with it for one reason or another. I am willing to bet that you would fine something wrong with it too.

Not wanting to be mean but Apple can not make everyone happy all the time.

entraik

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
I went to my local Garden State Plaza's Apple store. After waiting for an hour and half plus the drive through traffic which ended up being an hour as well..they refused to replace my screen or phone after all that because they couldn't see an issue in the store (where it is bright). The stupid manager said there was nothing he could do because no one else saw it in the back. What a bunch of idiots. Here is a picture of what my screen looks like in the dark and it is more visible in dim light (the yellowish tone on the bottom left). I ended up using their store laptop to contact apple customer service and they agreed to do a express replacement without charging me the 29 dollar fee. Some retail stores out there are a joke. I paid a premium price for a premium phone, so it should be FLAWLESS. Instead, I get this **** from them when trying to get my phone replaced. Apple should be ashamed...

u1nGIog.jpg

----------

If they do send you another phone, it will not be new. It will be a refurb and was returned by someone who was unhappy with it for one reason or another. I am willing to bet that you would fine something wrong with it too.

Well if they tout themselves to be a leader in the industry, they better damn well live up to it. They use cheap LG screens hence the yellowing.

----------

Puppy kisses have great medicinal value ... sorry for the Computer God doing you wrong.

If you come from a broken home and you break things often in your history .. like broken jobs, broken marriages, broken futures ... etc ... then go fix up your broken heart.

Then all the other stuff gets sorted out as well as wall as your future being free of broken stuff.

As I said .. puppy kisses have great medicinal value.

You aren't making any sense to me. Maybe you have money to throw at things and can deal with flaws. I expect a device that has a good looking display as advertised..NOT some half piss yellow colored garbage.

----------

Actually, the refurbished devices are remanufactured. New Screen, outer shell, buttons, and battery.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Sorry but only had the best from Apple and its people.

Telling us all about your hardship and wait in traffic suggest you would not be a good customer to wait on. Sometimes what goes around . . . . .

You screen looks well within acceptable parameters and like I said before, Apple can not make everyone happy. The vast majority is.

entraik

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Didn't realize that making an observation on the picture that you posted as a sample was considered trolling.

the screen clearly has yellow on the bottom left and around the sides.. the center has more white to it.

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
sorry but only had the best from apple and its people.

Telling us all about your hardship and wait in traffic suggest you would not be a good customer to wait on. Sometimes what goes around . . . . .

You screen looks well within acceptable parameters and like i said before, apple can not make everyone happy. The vast majority is.

+1

i don't see anything wrong with that screen either. It looks normal to me.

+2

entraik

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009

Either multiple people have bad vision on this forum, or this is one big troll.. Apple needs to get their act together. Using their low quality LG screens isn't deserving of my hard earned money, so I demand a perfect phone. And I shall get one. It's their duty and responsibility. It's not as if they are doing my a favor lol. Some people on this forum are ridiculous.

check this link out (just one of hundreds you'll find via a google search)... it's a common issue.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1835480/

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
the screen clearly has yellow on the bottom left and around the sides.. the center has more white to it.

Nope, not "clearly yellow" - I see a light gray screen, with minor shading close to the bottom edge. Not much to see, IMHO.
Maybe you can see yellowing on your own computer - I don't.
Looks fairly normal.

It's part of the challenge of trying to reproduce an image. You don't have control over how it looks, once it leaves your control.

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
Either multiple people have bad vision on this forum, or this is one big troll.. Apple needs to get their act together. Using their low quality LG screens isn't deserving of my hard earned money, so I demand a perfect phone. And I shall get one. It's their duty and responsibility. It's not as if they are doing my a favor lol. Some people on this forum are ridiculous.

Ridiculous trolls, because others have a different point of view?

That's five people in this thread and the entire Apple Store that doesn't agree with you. No wonder they couldn't see the bad screen.

What if you don't get your perfect screen shipped to you, will the warranty center be "a bunch of idiots" too?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.