Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Elise

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
London
Just had a look at the Brent Cross store. They hadn't even set them up yet, the customers had to ask to see them. Waited for about 10 minutes and they brought them out to a few of us waiting.

Glad I ordered the gold, it is stunning and that screen, god it's gorgeous. I had no problem with lag, certainly browser windows took just as much time to open when I tried the pro. I ran a few YouTube videos and loads of other pages, all perfect.

Not all great though, the keyboard will take some getting used to but I think it should be okay.

The agonising wait continues *sigh*

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Well I managed to get into the Trafford Centre to have a play with the rMB.

First thing I noticed was how amazing the gold looks and how not so amazing the Space Grey looks. Personal preference of course.

I was so so tempted by SG when I pre-ordered but went with gold and I'm so glad I did. In my opinion the SG is worst of the bunch though it does still look lovely, I just didn't think it suited the MB style.

Screen, as everyone else has said is just gorgeous. The track pad is great and I really enjoyed playing around with that.

The keyboard. Hmm. Well this was the only thing I didn't immediately love, however I can see me loving it eventually. The keys are just that much bigger it was really difficult for me to type on accurately at first.
It also was a strange one as there is definitely more of a 'click' when you individually press a button, but when I typed a sentence it felt as though I wasn't actually pressing them which slowed me down as I was checking the press had registered all the time. But it was, just felt weird.

All in all I came out longing to have one. Didn't ask if they had stock as I have just resigned myself to the fact that mine will eventually arrive, even though my estimated delivery is between 15-29 of May :roll eyes: which seems soooo long away!

There was a lot of attention from people on this thing, so it seems really poor that people cannot pick one up after playing with one, which is kind of the fun of shopping. But I guess Angela prefers this method so who are we to argue.

Now I intend to stay away from any Apple store until it arrives as I can't bear seeing and not having! ;)

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
All in all I came out longing to have one. Didn't ask if they had stock as I have just resigned myself to the fact that mine will eventually arrive, even though my estimated delivery is between 15-29 of May :roll eyes: which seems soooo long away!

That makes no sense :p

Could have just gotten one from them if they had stock and cancelled the online order as you were paying in store.

illitrate23

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
uk
Could have just gotten one from them if they had stock and cancelled the online order as you were paying in store.
If the flagship stores (arguably not just of London but also of the UK as a whole) do not have stock yet, then is it even worth asking anywhere else?

johngwheeler

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2010
I come from a land down-under...
If US, Australia and others have stock, then yes.

If the flagship stores (arguably not just of London but also of the UK as a whole) do not have stock yet, then is it even worth asking anywhere else?

Absolutely. In the US and Australia, to name but two first-wave markets, non Apple stores have had stock while to the best of my knowledge, no Apple stores have. There are many posts here from people who have been to Best Buy, JB Hi-Fi and similar and walked out with a new rMB, whilst the Apple store staff have remained sheepishly clueless about stock availability...not their fault; they're just not told.

The situation may be different in the UK - I don't know who the major non-Apple retailers are, but it would be worth asking them....

sfrost007

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2015
The situation may be different in the UK - I don't know who the major non-Apple retailers are, but it would be worth asking them....

I've been checking John Lewis as they're likely in my mind to get them, but nothing as of yet. I'll keep an eye out and cancel my Apple order if they come in though - buying from JL gets you a bonus year of warranty which would probably mean I don't buy Applecare.

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2010
BHS direct list the following online

Gold and Space grey " Delivery from Wed 6th May"

Silver "Delivery from Tues 19th May"

Not sure if they reliable but someone might check..

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011

Nope. I've financed it, so there is apparently a 14 day cancellation period (charge) if you cancel the finance after that period. As that was day 15 of taking it out, wouldn't have worked.
Plus the likelihood of them having them is slim to none.

troubleonline

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
I've been checking John Lewis as they're likely in my mind to get them, but nothing as of yet. I'll keep an eye out and cancel my Apple order if they come in though - buying from JL gets you a bonus year of warranty which would probably mean I don't buy Applecare.

From what I have noticed in the past JL aren't usually that fast to stock new versions of the macbooks and iMacs and they are certainly unlikely to 'stock' until they actually have stock to sell if that makes sense (as opposed to Apple Stores which are displaying for order). If I am correct I think you will be looking at around June / July before JL get stock.

I would cancel my order too except I get educational discount plus I ordered the 1.3 and dont think JL will stock that one.

Optimus Rhyme

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2006
London, UK
Has anyone see if Regent St, Covent Garden or Stratford have the USB C to USB cables in stock?

Thanks

I went to Covent Garden today. They had 18 MacBooks on display, all appeared to be 1.1 models, though I only checked a few so I could be wrong.

I didn't see any cables or adapters for the MacBook at all. I'm having my brother send me the cable from the U.S. as it would arrive after my MacBook if I ordered from Apple.

Everyone was interested in the MacBooks, it was hard to get on one. Really like the feeling of it and was pleasantly surprised with the speed.

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
Has anyone see if Regent St, Covent Garden or Stratford have the USB C to USB cables in stock?

Thanks

I know it's not the right store, but my local Apple Store (Metrocentre) had the £15 USB-C to USB adapters but none of the Hdmi or VGA ones.

Note that none were on display, a staff member went and got me one. So unless people have proactively asked for one they may assume there are none.

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom.

Thanks

Why not save yourself a few quid and buy the Google USB C to USB A adapter which is available now. I've just ordered one. It's supposed to be £10.99 but I was only charged £8.99 inclusive of shipping.

https://store.google.com/product/usb_type_c_to_usb_standard_a_adapter

moxxey

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
So...the rMBP is finally on display in the Bath Apple Store, in all the colours (not for sale though).

Superb. Was well impressed. The size, weight, screen and even the keyboard impressed, although the keyboard will take some getting used to.

truesepho

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2014
I went to the Apple Store in Regent Street this morning, and played with the gold one. It's absolutely gorgeous, the display is great, the keyboard (which was my major concern) not bad at all. I could type fast and easy.
That said, I'm 100% satisfied with my rMBP 2015, but I think I'll go for this MacBook in about 3 years time, when USB-C devices will be more popular, FaceTime camera will be HD and general performance improved ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.