Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bear9999

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2014
Hey guys, I bought a black bezel screen protector from a Chinese supplier in taobao.com, which has Macbook Air printing on it, the quality is quite good though there's a little gap in top right corner for you to remove the protector, not a very big deal to me though.

Attachments

• 20140628_170806.jpg
    20140628_170806.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 895

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Hey guys, I bought a black bezel screen protector from a Chinese supplier in taobao.com, which has Macbook Air printing on it, the quality is quite good though there's a little gap in top right corner for you to remove the protector, not a very big deal to me though.
That one looks great too. How much was it with shipping and everything?

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America

Nice...how much and where to get it?

bear9999

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2014
That one looks great too. How much was it with shipping and everything?

Around $15 with shipping, but as I'm living in Hong Kong I think it will cost more to ship overseas.

I bought it from this Chinese supplier but the site is in Chinese... you may need some help from your Chinese friends to understand it.

Last edited:

cairene2011

Dec 17, 2013
It's so funny that I stumbled across this thread, because I googled for a solution to keep the silver MBA bezel on the rMBP.

Main thing that holds me back from the upgrade MBA --> rMBP isn't the higher price or the slightly decreased portability, but nothing more irrational than my dislike for the black bezel. I think it looks quite sleek in highly polished product photos, but when I see the black bezels in real life they usually are smudged, dusty and reflective.
In my eyes the black makes the computer also look bold and heavy, whereas the sliver keeps it light and airy and functions as an unobtrusive extension for the documents I'm scrolling through.

tl;dr: Nothing helpful to contribute, but find it funny how different the aesthetic perceptions of people, who enjoy the same design (minimalist Apple), can still be. :D

Teckdeck7

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2015

hey can you upload more pics of the macbook air black bezel skin? I am ordering from the same seller!! just want to see how it holds up and some close up pics!! thanks :)

Teckdeck7

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2015
http://m.intl.taobao.com/detail/detail.html?id=17961665220

You can't buy it directly unless if your in Hong Kong, you have to buy it through an taobao agent. I am about to buy mine tomorrow

Y So Jelly

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2013
I have the bezel from the OP. The reflections aren't that noticeable unless there's a light source directly shining on it. I do wish it was matte. And plastic is cheapy for a unibody aluminum machine.

Still use it since the silver bezel drives me batsh*t crazy..

dmitrivich

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2014
It's so funny that I stumbled across this thread, because I googled for a solution to keep the silver MBA bezel on the rMBP.

Main thing that holds me back from the upgrade MBA --> rMBP isn't the higher price or the slightly decreased portability, but nothing more irrational than my dislike for the black bezel. I think it looks quite sleek in highly polished product photos, but when I see the black bezels in real life they usually are smudged, dusty and reflective.
In my eyes the black makes the computer also look bold and heavy, whereas the sliver keeps it light and airy and functions as an unobtrusive extension for the documents I'm scrolling through.

tl;dr: Nothing helpful to contribute, but find it funny how different the aesthetic perceptions of people, who enjoy the same design (minimalist Apple), can still be. :D

That's how I feel too. I like the border effect. I dislike really thin bezels and black bezels because they don't create an appropriate border. Disappointed they went with that on the new macbook.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
That's how I feel too. I like the border effect. I dislike really thin bezels and black bezels because they don't create an appropriate border. Disappointed they went with that on the new macbook.

Not to forget it really shows how poor black levels are when you watch a full screen movie. The black bars are pitch and the screen is not.

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
Looks good, might get one myself from Taobao.

This is however not just the bezel, but also a screen protector, i.e. a foil in front of the screen itself. Not saying this is a bad thing necessarily but wanted to make sure people who order this understand it.

SmOgER

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2014
Looks good, might get one myself from Taobao.

This is however not just the bezel, but also a screen protector, i.e. a foil in front of the screen itself. Not saying this is a bad thing necessarily but wanted to make sure people who order this understand it.
I think you are wrong. Bezel and screen aren't flush, so unless it comes with 2 seperate pieces, it's only for bezel.

SmOgER

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2014
oh well that's not good then if these pieces come glued together. Plus why would anyone ever need a screen protector for a laptop without TS? It's a unnecessary mess with all those air bubbles and stuff.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
oh well that's not good then if these pieces come glued together. Plus why would anyone ever need a screen protector for a laptop without TS? It's a unnecessary mess with all those air bubbles and stuff.
I agree. If that was available in the US and inexpensive enough, I'd get one and carefully trim off the screen protector part. :)

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2013
Seriously, get MBP instead of wasting money on those plastic stickers that make MBA more ugly :rolleyes:
Alu bezel is so nice, i second someone having same opinion as mine on the first page of thread
Black bezel seems to bring contrast with the of alu unibody frame
That one of my own reasons to still stick with the MBA instead of switching on better machine (MBP)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.