Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
Now I want to do this too. To be honest, I don't want to know about anything most of the time unless it's an "emergency", and having my phone vibrate at the slightest Facebook Like is just so wrong.
You can change the settings of this in all kinds of way. You can say what kinds of notifications you want from Facebook in the Facebook app and you can set the kind of notification and sound in iOS for each app. So this is something you can actually control pretty well.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
"Need" is a very subjective word, especially on this forum.

Unless you have a job that specifically requires you to use an Apple iPad, I daresay no one "needs" an iPad. It's cool and nice to have, but it's also somewhat of a luxury.

Mine has been in my laptop bag for 3 months and i haven't taken it out once. I didn't even realize that until I thought the other day "hey, where the heck is my iPad that I just HAD to have 3 months ago?"

I think you're missing my point.

----------

If the Apple Watch is anything like the Samsung watch I owned. Notifications can get annoying, Lag time looking at time, apps not syncing quickly, battery usage horrible, frustration with having to be linked to phone.

When Apple products become like Samsung products I'll stop buying them.

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
I got 24/36 hours with a Moto 360 with display always on/not. Then I got _49_ hours on an LG Watch R with the display always on bright.

That seems incredible to me. The Moto 360 review at The Verge mentioned that at best it barely got through the day, and that was with the display off most of the time like the Apple Watch. They've improved that much since then? What's the difference between the LG Watch R and the Apple Watch that allows for 49 hours of always on use?

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
That seems incredible to me. The Moto 360 review at The Verge mentioned that at best it barely got through the day, and that was with the display off most of the time like the Apple Watch. They've improved that much since then? What's the difference between the LG Watch R and the Apple Watch that allows for 49 hours of always on use?

There were a few software updates post theVerge article that apparently greatly extended the Moto360's battery life. Most users reporting 24-48 between charges now. Some longer depending on use.

The Verge doesn't often go back and update reviews when patches are out.
In All likelihood if the Apple watch gets software updates that fix some of it's issues, they'll probably not update that review either.

kdarling

macrumors P6
That seems incredible to me. The Moto 360 review at The Verge mentioned that at best it barely got through the day, and that was with the display off most of the time like the Apple Watch. They've improved that much since then?

Yep, there were several Android Wear updates which really made a big difference in power usage. I suspect they included better use of BTLE, and a dimmer always-on mode for most of them, which then goes bright when you twist your wrist/ click the button. (The LG Watch R is a beautiful exception to that. It's always bright.)

Now, you'd think that because web reviews are electronic, that they could be easily updated to reflect stuff like this, but few of today's "reporters" ever do updates or corrections.

So most of the Moto 360 reviews I've seen, still give battery life from the way it was back in September.

What's the difference between the LG Watch R and the Apple Watch that allows for 49 hours of always on use?

Forty-nine hours was my result. It didn't include any music playing. So subtract that out.

As for hardware, I only know the difference between the LGWR and the Moto 360, which explains why the LGWR does so much better than the M360:

• M360 - 320 mAh battery, LCD display, and older TI OMAP CPU
  • LGWR - 410 mAh battery, P-OLED display, and Snapdragon CPU

Also, remember that the Apple Watch will go a total of 72 hours if you shut most stuff down.

Last edited:

moderately

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
Speak for YOURSELF. I like knowing when my security cameras at my house detect motion INSTANTLY. I like knowing when a delivery is left on my front porch instantly.
I like knowing when my garage door is opened. I like knowing when my front door is opened. I like knowing when my real estate agent has a offer on one of my properties INSTANTLY via email.

Heck....although I don't gamble (I have a few friends that do),try betting 2500.00 on a baseball game. Those MLB at bat updates will seem like the most important thing in your life for 9 innings if you're unable to watch it live.

I like knowing when my nieces babysitter texts me.I like knowing when there's the slightest activity on my credit report. Same with my credit card too. I could go on and on.....

My point is,although notifications are not important to YOU don't assume they aren't to others. If it's not for you,then don't bother..... But for some,they may be important to them.

Yipes.
While I haven't worn a watch for decades I do find the Apple Watch attractive.
But, Yipes!

richardb33

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2015
Early Reviews Not the Best Predictors

If Apple's success were to be measured by early reviewers and early detractors, the company would be long gone. From pioneering a graphical user interface to launching the iPod and iTunes, from its original all-in-one body Macintosh to the creation of Apple stores, there exists a mammoth library of negative reviews and dire predictions, pretty much all of which were wrong. How many fervent Microsoft Windows users have you known who, after years of struggling with and cursing unremittingly buggy software, eventually came around to a better way? Maybe it's best to temper early pronouncements on the Apple Watch with lessons from the past?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.