Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
Bought my very first Apple laptop last week from BB as my 6 yr old Dell XPS died. And I was hitting my head on why I switched to OS X just now lol. Anyways, I saved about $225 (BB discount of $75, 10% Movers coupon, $10 BB Rewards).

I could not put this beast down....the screen is to die for. I'm still contemplating on whether to get an AppleCare or not. I'm pretty careful with my toys but you'll never know what will fail. So convince me to get an Apple Care.

Take the time to learn the machine! I bought an MBA almost four yrs ago and after a bit of learning find OSX simple, conservative of system resources. Plus unless a new OS X is released you will never be bombarded with constant Windows updates.

Kroner

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
Norway
My 2014 15" rMBP arrived today. I ordered it with standard delivery and was expecting it by Friday, although it seems Apple sent it by express instead. Suffice to say I am quite happy to receive a laptop that I can use to do something besides browsing the web and writing documents. :)

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Bought my very first Apple laptop last week from BB as my 6 yr old Dell XPS died. And I was hitting my head on why I switched to OS X just now lol. Anyways, I saved about $225 (BB discount of $75, 10% Movers coupon, $10 BB Rewards).

I could not put this beast down....the screen is to die for. I'm still contemplating on whether to get an AppleCare or not. I'm pretty careful with my toys but you'll never know what will fail. So convince me to get an Apple Care.

There is something wrong with the specs of the 2015 MacBook Pro in your signature. There is no 2.7Ghz 512GB SSD option. Either you have a 2.9Ghz CPU or a 128GB or 256GB SSD.

----------

Just to add I ordered a 2015 13" Retina MacBook Pro with the 2.9Ghz CPU, 8GB RAM and a 512GB SSD on Saturday. It's with UPS now and due for delivery tomorrow. I can't wait to replace my old long in the tooth first generation 11" MacBook Air with this new MacBook Pro. The difference is going to be huge. :)

reeveah

Suspended
Oct 23, 2008
Just ordered the 2015 13" rMBP with 512GB SSD and 16GB 1866MHz ram.

Cant wait! :D

Is there any chance we can install Win 8.1 Pro 64bit without superdrive? Via the .ISO or with a USB?

chinchillas

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2015
New 13" rMBP

I received my new Retina Macbook Pro 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5 with 16 GB of RAM and 256 GB SSD, bought directly from Apple.com.

Awesome:
- Start up takes, seriously, like 2 seconds
- SSD is totally silent
- The battery lasts forever. I was browsing video last night for something like 7-8 hours, and the thing was on 80% when I turned it off.

Not so awesome:
- Not very fond of gestures, especially the drag and drop function, which keeps failing even with a mouse.
- I have to buy adaptors from FireWire400 to FireWire 800 to Thunderbolt. More squeezing of the credit card.
- Retina display is beautiful but perhaps too sophisticated for 70% of the web, which still looks low def.
- Deleting files takes around 2 seconds. I can't figure out why.

This computer replaces my trusty old Macbook 2,1 late 2006.

Here's a pic:
17014359007_1b946f905e_z.jpg

And the rest of the unpacking/setup: https://www.flickr.com/photos/odyshape/sets/72157652096470592/

I'm in *such* debt :(:):confused:

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2009
- Deleting files takes around 2 seconds. I can't figure out why.
[..]
This computer replaces my trusty old Macbook 2,1 late 2006.

Maybe you have activated "Empty Trash securely" in Finder Preferences?

Can you post a photos of your new MBP on top of your old MB? I had the MB myself for a couple of years. Never got quite used to it. Was a little too big. I brought the Macbook Air 11", which is a bit too small for me. Hopefully the MBP, which is scheduled to arrive on Monday, will have the proper size. :)

chinchillas

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2015
No, it's not activated.

I'll take pics tomorrow ;) The MBP is perfect in size, but believe it or not, I find it a bit too heavy for a machine without an HDD. But I didn't want an Air.

Can you post a photos of your new MBP on top of your old MB? I had the MB myself for a couple of years. Never got quite used to it. Was a little too big. I brought the Macbook Air 11", which is a bit too small for me. Hopefully the MBP, which is scheduled to arrive on Monday, will have the proper size. :)

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
After a lot of debate today, I decided to go to Best Buy and look at the MB Airs and MB Pros. I decided to get a 13" MBPro - 2.7/8/256. The taptic mouse pad is pretty cool

chinchillas

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2015
Not too much of a difference between the 13'' MBP and the 13.3'' MB:
IMG_0387.jpg

TLmac

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2015
What is a refurb battery like? Do they replace that too? Or will a refurb computer come with battery charges already done?

nws0291

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
After a lot of debate today, I decided to go to Best Buy and look at the MB Airs and MB Pros. I decided to get a 13" MBPro - 2.7/8/256. The taptic mouse pad is pretty cool

I don't know how anyone could go MB air with that screen. It looks terrible. With the size of the 13" rMBP the air only has a slight weight advantage and a little extra battery life.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
I don't know how anyone could go MB air with that screen. It looks terrible. With the size of the 13" rMBP the air only has a slight weight advantage and a little extra battery life.

Well my primary concern was battery life and I'd mostly be working with text (watching some videos sure but lots of text). But yes the difference was pretty drastic in person and the weight difference was minimal.

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA
Picked up my Base rMBP from BB last night for $989 after $200 off plus 10% movers coupon. Added a Samsung 250GB Evo SSD and USB 3.0 inclosure for music and photos. Grand total $1,099!

TLmac

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2015
ORDER FINALLY PLACED!!!

There are a bunch of new 13' rMBP that got added to the Refurb list if anyone is looking.... (And I've been OCD about looking...they added quite a few).

I can't wait!! Lol....So long HP/Windows 8!! (I'll still have to deal with it somewhat b/c this HP computer is going to my son until it dies). He likes it enough! We will still have to maintain this one!!

rpearlberg

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2010
ORDER FINALLY PLACED!!!

There are a bunch of new 13' rMBP that got added to the Refurb list if anyone is looking.... (And I've been OCD about looking...they added quite a few).

I can't wait!! Lol....So long HP/Windows 8!! (I'll still have to deal with it somewhat b/c this HP computer is going to my son until it dies). He likes it enough! We will still have to maintain this one!!

Wow, they did add a lot!! I checked this morning and there was only two!

scanda

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2015
Picked up a 2015 rMBP 13" 2.7/8/256 from Best Buy using the movers coupon to replace my pos Lenova today.

teejaysyke

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2012
I'm saving up money slowly but surely, and I'm going to order myself the 13" MBP 3.1/256/16GB configuration. Then just use my 1TB external for a backup/music/movies/photos.

B&H has it for $1,879.

robertsawicki

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2015
Hickory Hills
Just picked up a 2015 rMBP 13" 2.9/8GB/512 with the student discount. Going to test this for 12 days and decide if I want to return it and get the same configuration with 16GB. So far so good. Really enjoying the Retina.

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
Just picked up a 2015 rMBP 13" 2.9/8GB/512 with the student discount. Going to test this for 12 days and decide if I want to return it and get the same configuration with 16GB. So far so good. Really enjoying the Retina.

I went with the 16GB, it's nice to have but I honestly think I probably didn't need it. Looking at what I do, even with Windows as a VM running Revit 2015 I hit CPU limits before I hit RAM. Dropping down from the Quad core 15 2013 retina, it is amazing how strong those processors were/are.

robertsawicki

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2015
Hickory Hills
I went with the 16GB, it's nice to have but I honestly think I probably didn't need it. Looking at what I do, even with Windows as a VM running Revit 2015 I hit CPU limits before I hit RAM. Dropping down from the Quad core 15 2013 retina, it is amazing how strong those processors were/are.

I have been going crazy deciding to upgrade to 16GB but ultimately I will not. I do not see that upgrade being worth $200. We will see how Inventor will run on Windows VM, but I think it should do just fine. My school computers have 6GB RAM and I haven't had any issues.

dashpuppy

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2014
I have been going crazy deciding to upgrade to 16GB but ultimately I will not. I do not see that upgrade being worth $200. We will see how Inventor will run on Windows VM, but I think it should do just fine. My school computers have 6GB RAM and I haven't had any issues.

Just remember, if it's the newer version of the MBP, it's soldered on. Can't upgrade the memory..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.