Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bollockser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2014
I cant get this 2010 mini to display through HDMI in computer mode rather than video mode. The picture looks terrible, how do I get it to treat this HDMI TV as a monitor rather than a TV? It's got VGA but I don't want to use that, so this display is also a computer monitor.

Bollockser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2014
WOW thank you for this. I will test it tonight
Does Mavericks or Yosemite solve this problem?

Dandu

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2009
Nope, the problem is the same : with many display, OS X think it's a TV and use a different color scheme (and it's a problem)

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
WOW thank you for this. I will test it tonight
Does Mavericks or Yosemite solve this problem?

Nope, the problem is the same : with many display, OS X think it's a TV and use a different color scheme (and it's a problem)

Thanks Dandu! I don't need this fix right now but it looks like an essential for my bookmarks library.

One comment-
This problem may be fixed by the newer versions of OS X on some computers according to this comment from the page that you linked.
"Update: I have heard that 10.8.3 has solved this problem for some people, so I rolled back my changes and installed the update. No change on my monitor. Nevertheless, it’d be a good idea to update OS X before trying this, since it may fix the issues with your particular hardware."

Bollockser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2014
Well I got the hack successfully loaded, however it only works properly at 1024x768, all the higher resolutions are still TV style rather than Computer style.

I don't know how to adjust the script to make it work on full resolution.

Bollockser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2014
QUESTION:

If I use the MINIDISPLAYPORT > HDMI, will it work normally?

Is it the Mac's HDMI port sending non-RGB data, or will the Minidisplay port also detect an HDMI monitor and likewise display in TV-mode?

Dandu

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2009
For the system, it's exactly the same, MiniDP to HDMI are "passive" adapter : the computer send an HDMI stream on the mini DisplayPort connector.

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
If you plane to display more than 1080p needs an UPDATED HDMO 2.0 HDMI cable! I suggest getting the RedMere - 18Gbps Ultra Slim Series High Performance HDMI Cable.

Here is a video.

YouTube: video

Every HDMI spec from the very first can support more than 1080P.
HDMI 1.3 spec from 2006 can support 1600P
HDMI spec 1.4 from 2009 can Support 2160P(4k) @30hz
HDMI 2.0 can support 4k @60Hz

The Maximum that the 2010 Mac Mini can support is 1200P. Any cable new or old can support 1200P, there is no need to buy a HDMI 2.0 cable for getting more than 1080P. Most older HDMI cables will even be able to push 4k as well no need to upgrade unless you need too.

Bollockser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2014
Well this is just maddening that I cannot get this Mac to display full screen on a widescreen, it will only display in computer mode at 1024x768, the higher resolutions all look like crap.

I have run the terminal hack but that didnt make the higher resolutions work.

Does anyone know of an app or plug-in or whatever that will allow me to use this monitor in full-screen?

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
Well this is just maddening that I cannot get this Mac to display full screen on a widescreen, it will only display in computer mode at 1024x768, the higher resolutions all look like crap.

Does anyone know of an app or plug-in or whatever that will allow me to use this monitor in full-screen?

Not sure if this will help but what do you mean by computer mode? What TV do you have? I know in the past with certain tv's I have had to setup the TV in a certain way to act like a monitor, is this what you mean by computer mode?

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004

Use this solution : https://gist.github.com/SalGnt/6184421/

It's a classic problem with Mac OS X

SwitchResX http://www.madrau.com/

Had this problem on my old 2010 Mac Mini with a TV set. SwitchResX fixed it.

Also I was running 16gbs of ram in my 2010 2.66mhz Mac Mini; you need at least two or four gigs (as I recall) for full graphics card utility. (Or is that the 2009 Mac Mini? Can't recall, I just remember how fast my 2010 Mini was and I miss it.)

Bollockser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2014
The monitor is a Toshiba manufactured in 2009. It's got HDMI and VGA ports.

On my mac mini 2009, it will display 1280x1024 in computer mode.
On my mac mini 2010, it will display 1024x768 in computer mode.

The higher resolutions like 1920x1080 are all in crappy looking TV mode.

I tried switchRes, didn't work :(

So the hell with this thing. I imagine, if I were to boot on Windows, the monitor would work properly :(

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
My 2010, 26" LG LCD tv set looks fine on my 2010 Mini via HDMI. On MiniDP-VGA it looked grainy with washed-out colors. It only required some tweaking with color settings (on the TV side) and sharpness. Looks fine at 1080p.

Dandu

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2009
The monitor is a Toshiba manufactured in 2009. It's got HDMI and VGA ports.

On my mac mini 2009, it will display 1280x1024 in computer mode.
On my mac mini 2010, it will display 1024x768 in computer mode.

The higher resolutions like 1920x1080 are all in crappy looking TV mode.

I tried switchRes, didn't work :(

So the hell with this thing. I imagine, if I were to boot on Windows, the monitor would work properly :(

With a TV, change the name of the source into the menu : on my Samsung, if i choice "PC" "DVI" or things like that, i have a better image with a PC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.