Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
They are very, very, very slow. Boot time is horrible. They take forever to do simple tasks and the screens are horrible. Non IPS screens. Plus, it's a high school, sometimes keys are missing or the computers don't turn on.

It's safe to say that plastic MacBooks are past their prime in this SSD/Retina time, but back in the day they were alright and at least they're still usable today (especially with an SSD upgrade).

iKnowMr.Jobs

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2010
Personally, I never understood why anyone bought these over the lowest tier Pro, which was only two hundred dollars more. I know more money is more money but what that extra $200 got you was more worth it in every conceivable way, especially as white unibody grew stale from the lack of updates similar to how the 13 non pro still is sold today with Ivy bridge processors.

Back in 2010, My one cousin was on the verge of buying white unibody. He isn't particularly tech savvy but the fact is, two hundred dollars more got you an aluminum build over a plastic and an SD card slot. Plus, it was a guarantee that the white rubber on the bottom would get dirty and break apart, just like it did on the previous generation.

MPclk2006

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2013
Texas
I *completely* forgot this even existed, and I actually almost bought one back in the day. Anyone still rocking one of these? It's actually kind of refreshing to see after all the aluminum year in, year out.

I had a 2009 macbook like your first picture, just got rid of it late last year and upgraded to a newer one....i kind of miss it but i kind of dont...

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
Personally, I never understood why anyone bought these over the lowest tier Pro, which was only two hundred dollars more. I know more money is more money but what that extra $200 got you was more worth it in every conceivable way
$200 seems steep for an SD slot, a 90g weight saving, and a few mm chiselled off the dimensions. It only becomes 'worth it' if you believe that an aluminium case is worth $190 more than a polycarbonate case.

You're right about those rubber arses, though. But if you speak to Apple very nicely they were still issuing free replacements here in the UK, three months ago.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
$200 seems steep for an SD slot, a 90g weight saving, and a few mm chiselled off the dimensions. It only becomes 'worth it' if you believe that an aluminium case is worth $190 more than a polycarbonate case.

You're right about those rubber arses, though. But if you speak to Apple very nicely they were still issuing free replacements here in the UK, three months ago.

I was talked out of the plastic guy too when I bought my last MBP. I can't say I regret the extra money I spent.

AppleTech22

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
US
Actually considered buying one of these for simple note taking at lectures, then syncing with an iMac where I would do most of my work. Ended up going with a 15" rMBP, but still thinking about finding one cheap just to mess around with!

tecnho

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2015
Remember the white unibody Macbook?

Typing from one right now, trading up and going from Legacy Macbook to Retina Macbook no airs no pros. I will miss that robotic "crunching" sound when it wakes up or thinks too hard though

LumbermanSVO

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Denton, TX
I have a mid-2009 2.26 that I use when traveling, I put two SSD's in it and maxed out the RAM. I bought it for $50 with a bad battery, $100-ish for a new battery and I was up and running again.

It may not be the fastest thing out there, but I wouldn't call it slow either. Mine is all scratched up from being in a rough work environment, but it keeps going and the screen is still bright enough to see in direct sunlight.

cycledance

Suspended
Oct 15, 2010
I have a mid-2009 2.26 that I use when traveling, I put two SSD's in it and maxed out the RAM. I bought it for $50 with a bad battery, $100-ish for a new battery and I was up and running again.

It may not be the fastest thing out there, but I wouldn't call it slow either. Mine is all scratched up from being in a rough work environment, but it keeps going and the screen is still bright enough to see in direct sunlight.

total steal at 50 and the specs are good enough to do most things. just turn off transparency.

did u raid the ssds?

ApolloBoy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
I still use one as my main computer, I got it about two years ago to retire my non-unibody white MacBook which was getting long in the tooth. Since then I've upgraded the RAM to 8 GB and swapped the hard drive for a 1 TB SSD, and it's still a great performer. Unfortunately the screen doesn't seem to work anymore after I recently redid the thermal compound (just a white screen so I'm guessing either the display cable or logic board's at fault), so I use it as a desktop computer now.

troubleonline

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
Yep I had white macbook as my first macbook. I don't think it was the unibody white though. I lost it when Hubby's bag was stolen on train in Paris. Had only had for about 9 months but hubby felt so guilty he took me out to buy the then new 1st gen (Auminium) Unibody 13' Macbook. Much as I loved the white macbook the aluminium looked so much better and has kept immaculate for the 5 years I have had it. Am not sure the white would still be looking so fresh - although I did have a lovely red leather shell case for it

Just ordered a gold rMB to replace the unibody. :)

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
I owned one of these about 4 years and ago and liked it quite a bit but I sold it because it had been sent to Apple 3 times because of the cracking around the hinges. That was my last plastic Apple laptop... all of mine (with exception of my iBook G4) cracked and it was annoying and quite ugly to look at.

polee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
I still use mine for iTunes, and periodic browsing. It was the first macbook which I bought, so it holds fond memories for me. Running on Snow Leopard and I have not changed my battery before. No swelling, nothing of that sort, but it gets warm when I am watching youtube. It weighs like a ton of bricks compared to my Macbook Air 11 which is my current favourite as it is light and gets the job done.

tecnho

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2015
I still use mine for iTunes, and periodic browsing. It was the first macbook which I bought, so it holds fond memories for me. Running on Snow Leopard and I have not changed my battery before. No swelling, nothing of that sort, but it gets warm when I am watching youtube. It weighs like a ton of bricks compared to my Macbook Air 11 which is my current favourite as it is light and gets the job done.

Impressive, how many battery cycles have you put on that thing since 2008?

polee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Impressive, how many battery cycles have you put on that thing since 2008?

60 only because I tend to use it connected to the mains.

Attachments

• IMG_0338.JPG
    IMG_0338.JPG
    422.4 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0339.JPG
    IMG_0339.JPG
    375.2 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
I still use my late-2009. Battery is still great, 250GB SSD, 8GB RAM. Disabling translucency in Yosemite it feels faster than the day one with its 2GB/250GB HDD.

boppin

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2008
Germany
I know this is an older thread ...

Today there is no MacBook! The product Apple calls or name "Macbook" is more an Air or the little brother of.

Once the Macbook like the iBook was regarded as an entry notebook model.

Some I am missing true MacBooks and MB Pros and also true desktop computers.

Do you remember the Performas or the classic Mac Pro?

Yesterday there was a true product line. Today it's wired.

Suspended
May 11, 2013
I remember thinking this was awesome, having been disappointed by the 13" metal MacBook becoming a 'Pro'! Though by that time I had already spent all my hard saved cash on the May 2009 White MacBook (so that I could also buy an iPhone 3G!) despite my cousin telling me about the cracking cases and heat issues. Still, holds a fond place in the heart as my first Mac.

Quite disappointed the white unibody was so short lived. It was really everything I ever wanted from the Pro lines in the model that suited my budget and taste - I miss the white.

Considered buying one when my Mid-2012 MBP died in February, but the Core 2 Duo which was pretty old for the time would be impossible on more modern macOS versions.

That's the thing about Apple products isn't it? They're phyiscally beautiful, even beyond the day where they're practically useless to get work done or use as a daily computer. We have a 2012 iPad Mini the same, working beautifully but stuck on outdated software. The iPhone 4 / 4S was iconically the same, physically built to last a million years.

Reactions: furettolo

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
This thread is from two and a half years ago, and people were talking about how the unibody MacBooks were an old, strange, long-forgotten artefact. I've actually still got two of them that I use all the time in 2017.

I'm a nightclub DJ and it's a very harsh environment for laptops. There's lots of carrying equipment back and forth. Then there's the smoke fluid, which can clog the ventilation grilles and condense inside the machine. People can get carried away dancing and knock a laptop over, or somebody requesting a song could spill a drink over the keyboard (or worse - throw up on the keyboard). There's no way I'm using one of my newer MacBook Pros in a nightclub, there's just too much risk.

So I buy these old white unibody MacBooks. You can get ex-business models really cheap on aBay. They don't win any speed awards, but if you put 8GB RAM and an SSD in them, they're powerful enough to run DJ software. And if one gets damaged, it's not a big deal. I'll just buy another cheap white MacBook and move the RAM and SSD across (if still working).

Here's a picture in case anyone cares. Trigger warning: so many messy, jumbled cables.

kAgGo7Z.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.