Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yakpilot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2015
Netherlands
I have just installed a 1TB Samsung 850Pro SSD in my iMac. After replacing the standard 1TB HD(OWC procedure) I booted up the system in safe mode and formatted the SSD in one partition of 1TB. After that I restored from a Time Machine copy the latest backup. Everything went smoothly until the moment it needs to reboot. After a while forced a power off reboot. It rebooted but up to the moment that it needs to show the desktop. There is no desktop visible.
Tried a Time Machine copy from another drive and the same happened. No desktop. What on earth is going wrong? I own a mid 2010 i5 iMAC with a 1TB HD originally devided in 2 partitions, one for OS X and one Bootcamp/Win7. The latter I am planning to restore after OSX by means of Winclone.
Hope somebody has the solution to get this sorted:

tyche

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
Do you have another monitor you can plug into the iMac and see if it gets anything on the second screen? Not sure if that helps much but it might show if the OS is booting up correctly.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
So, which OSX you are using now?

Do you mean that the screen itself is actually normal, you can still see the boot screen, choose boot partition, and go to safe mode, etc, just can't boot to normal desktop?

Did you try some simple trouble shooting step (e.g. boot into recovery mode and repair disk / permission) yet?

Did you try to make a clean install to that new SSD, and then boot from that SSD to recover from time machine?

Yakpilot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2015
Netherlands
What I did was replacing the standard HD with a Samsung 850Pro SSD 1TB.
After that I started up the system with a USB which I prepared before on the same system with a clean Yosemite 10.10.3. This will got me into a mode which gave me the option to use the disc utility, start up from the Yosemite USB or restore a Time Machine copy. I first used the disc utility to format the SSD into one partition. Then I choose to restore the last Time Machine copy which I made a couple of hours before. The Time Machine copy was on a USB disc connected to the MAC. Everything goes smoothly up to the moment that the system needs to restart. I waited 15 mins but nothing happened, it did not restart so I forced it to restart. The boom came, the Apple appeared, the bar appeared and after it filled up for about a third the screens goes black whereas it should show the standard desktop. I have done this twice from two independent Time Machine copies, both with the same result. Then I disconnected the Time Machine USB disk and tried to install a clean Yosemite copy from the other USB stiick with the Yosemite copy. Same result. Black screens. I have done this procedure 3 times already on a MacBook and it worked perfectly so what is going on here. I appreciated you help very much.

----------

One more thing: Yes, I ran the test facility in the disc utility and it says all OK. I can start up with the alt key pressed and I can make a choice from which disc to start. If I choose the standard disc it eventually results in the same thing, black screen. I did not test any other modes because i.m.h.o. they don't make sense when the OS is not starting at all.

----------

At the moment I have reinstalled the standard HD disk and the system runs smoothly again. So the hardware should be OK, right? Timing issue, setting here or there I have no clue??

Yakpilot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2015
Netherlands
In the mean time I have found out that it probably is something more of a software problem than a hardware problem. I have tried to put back a Time Machine copy which I made an hour before changing the HD. I have never had any problems with restoring an Apple iMac from the Time Machine copy except now. Everything seems to work/start up but the screen stays black after the Yosemite bar disappears. After doing this a couple of times I decided to restore from an older Time Machine copy. This worked, the iMac started up but the only thing I could not restore is the Outlook database which I don't like because it means that I have lost all my email. Have tried all start up options but no dice, nothing worked so far. Anybody have any idea...it must be a software bug or something in Time Machine??

Yakpilot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2015
Netherlands
Problem solved. It appeared to be a software problem in Yosemite caused by Apple and not solved by Apple. Thanks Apple. In the end solved with the help of a bunch of enthusiastic Apple fanatics. Thanks guys!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.