Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stav4187

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2014
Hi,
I am hoping someone may be able to help me - i have an old Macbook A1181 which has now got a display error, upon starting the macbook the display is fine for the first minute or so - then it starts developing a scrambled type of image where the screen is so unstable the image is distorted and scrambled - almost like interference..... I have connected it to my hdmi tv using mini dvi adapter and the image is stable on the tv albeit not great quality....

My question is it the screen that needs replacing or is it the logic board ???

I have attached a couple of images so you can see what i mean and any advice greatly appreciated....

Attachments

• IMG_0511.JPG
    IMG_0511.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_0512.JPG
    IMG_0512.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 161

stav4187

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2014
Thanks for the advice - there are A1181 1.83ghz logic boards on eBay - is it as easy as taking old one out and replacing with a new one ???
I can't afford a new MacBook so am sad now.

stav4187

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2014
HELP - I have just read an article regarding "reflowing" the gpu !!! Basically cooking the gpu to re set (flow) the solder correctly. There are lots of people that have had success doing this !!! Is it worth me giving it a go - what's the worst that could happen ?!?! I get a broken MacBook ....

No-Me

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
Rotterdam
So the GPU isn't needed for the output to the OP's TV?

Yes it is, but it's not 100% broken, that's why it works for a while or that's why it works with bad quality. It's a known problem with the old MacBooks and MacBook Pro's. I had exact the same problem with my old (non) retina MacBook Pro. Apple had a special program for it to replace the logic boards.

jido

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2010
I had display issues similar to this on a Thinkpad. It was the display cable, not the graphics card. I replaced it and it works perfectly fine now.

No-Me

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
Rotterdam
How would a broken display cable cause the issues on the screen connected through the external display connector? Those are separate connectors on the logic board.

----------

Thanks for the advice - there are A1181 1.83ghz logic boards on eBay - is it as easy as taking old one out and replacing with a new one ???

If it's the exact same as you have than it's should be as easy as that.

stav4187

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2014
Thanks again - are you able to tell me exactly how you cooked it in the oven - its worth a go.....

jido

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2010
How would a broken display cable cause the issues on the screen connected through the external display connector? Those are separate connectors on the logic board.

I didn't read that the external display image was scrambled. I read:

I have connected it to my hdmi tv using mini dvi adapter and the image is stable on the tv albeit not great quality....

stav4187

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2014
Well I have cooked my logic board tonight !!! I will put it all back together in the morning and we will see if it works......... #omg

stav4187

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2014
Dream !

Guys thanks for all the advice just thought I would let you know that cooking my logic board to reflow the solder has worked a dream.... The MacBook is alive and screen is perfect. I'm a happy chap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.