Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
A lightning fast phone to pair with my lighting cable.

I usually don't upgrade to the S models cause in my opinion there hasn't been any significant upgrades between the non S models and S models.

TWD98j

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2010
I have been anticipating the 6s features ever since the 6 was announced. I have been on the "S" cycle ever since the 3GS and will be getting the 6s this fall when my 5s contract expires.

As with previous "S" releases the body shape/external design has stayed the same, and I am expecting no difference with the 6s. I expect the form factor to be virtually identical to the 6/6+, which may seem unfortunate for some people. It is under the hood, however, where the upgrades will take place. On the 6s, I'm hoping for:

RAM increase - probably from the current 1GB to 2GB as evidenced by the iPad Air 2. Apple will then market the 6s as the "fastest most powerful iPhone ever" or something similar.

Camera upgrade - I think Apple will make improvements here once again. The iPhone camera has been 8MP since the 4S debuted in 2011. Part of me would like to see that increase, but I'm not so sure Apple will go there. If they do though, expect a pretty big jump in the camera.

Touch ID - This came out with the 5s originally and I would bet that Apple will tout an improved Touch ID system that will offer better/more accurate readings which could be useful to those who have greasy fingers. Currently, 5 is the most fingerprints that can be stored. I'm thinking that number may increase.

Force touch - By implementing this and including an API for developers, it will open new doors for app interface gestures and functionality. This could very well be one of the features that Apple uses to differentiate the 6s from the 6 lineup.

A9/M9 processors - This is a given that the next iPhone will house next generation processors. If Apple in fact goes to at least 2GB of RAM then maybe they will go to a quad core processor in the iPhone. Hopefully iOS 9 has been designed with the A9 in mind.

Things I wish we would get but won't get include:

More than 2GB RAM (not yet)

Sapphire display (not yet)

Flush rear camera

Headphone jack back to the TOP of the phone (I still don't understand why they moved it in the first place)

Sleep/wake button back to the TOP (Won't ever happen with the bigger phones I know)

Touch ID technology built into the display, rather than just the home button (this will likely be coming soon though - maybe iPhone 7?)

Low end model be 32GB for lineup to be 32/64/128

Overage memory for the operating system so that 32GB actually comes with 32GB of free space

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
UK
Anyone asking for sapphire can dream on, because it's never going to happen. Sapphire actually shatters more easily than glass. They say it's hard because it doesn't scratch, and it would scratch just as easily, because it's the coating that scratches, not the glass.
Not to mention that it would be expensive.

Allin44

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2014
Headphone jack back to the TOP of the phone (I still don't understand why they moved it in the first place)

I can understand why you might prefer it on top, but logistically speaking, it makes far more sense on the bottom. It's more comfortable when you're holding your phone in front of you to have the headphone cable coming from the bottom, the closest part of the phone to you, as opposed to the top where the cable has to loop down. Also, most people who put their phones in their pockets place them top down, so having the headphone jack on the bottom when you drop your phone in your pocket while listening to music is sensible. I don't really see any benefits of it being on top.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
I also wish it'd not have a protruding camera :/. And wireless charging would be a nice addition.

I can just imagine someone shouting 'Hey Siri' on the train, and everyones Siri suddenly activating :p. Happened to me during Apple's media event last week anyway, as my phone was plugged in at the time!

I can't even do that at night when I have everything plugged in on the bedside table. I wish we could give each device its own name. Hey Siri. Hey George. Hey Gomer. :)

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
Non protruding camera, but probably won't happen :(

I'm no expert here, but I have a feeling protruding camera lenses are going to be more common if people want to see better cameras in their phones. Lenses stick out.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'm no expert here, but I have a feeling protruding camera lenses are going to be more common if people want to see better cameras in their phones. Lenses stick out.
They have been somewhat more prevalent already in non-Apple phones/devices.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
UK
I'd rather talk about the 7.

Ok, talk about the iPhone 7. What are you thinking about for this? I actually have my own ideas which will come out sooner or later, but I don't really care what they put just as long as they don't call it the iPhone 7. Just my thoughts.

----------

Notifications LED, 16megapx camera, 2GB RAM, wireless charging

If it has a Notification LED, I'm not going to buy it. That simple. I won't be able to get rid of the nostalgia that my Blackberry Z10 (which I don't like by the way) gives me.

mcarling

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2009
Non protruding camera, but probably won't happen

I expect the camera will be upgraded from the iPhone 6 to the 6S. Whether that upgrade is a thinner camera that doesn't protrude or an upgrade to 12 megapixels or better light sensitivity, I cannot predict.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
UK
I expect the camera will be upgraded from the iPhone 6 to the 6S. Whether that upgrade is a thinner camera that doesn't protrude or an upgrade to 12 megapixels or better light sensitivity, I cannot predict.

I don't care if they do neither, but either of them would be nice. The protruding camera on my iPod touch is not a problem at all, so on a bigger device it would be even less of a problem. And a 12 or 13MP camera would be good for publicity, but I'm still struggling to find a problem with my 1.2MP photos on my iPad screen, so I don't really see the point.

noles1983

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Ok, talk about the iPhone 7. What are you thinking about for this? I actually have my own ideas which will come out sooner or later, but I don't really care what they put just as long as they don't call it the iPhone 7. Just my thoughts.

----------

If it has a Notification LED, I'm not going to buy it. That simple. I won't be able to get rid of the nostalgia that my Blackberry Z10 (which I don't like by the way) gives me.

you could just turn the feature off :rolleyes:

reverberlayed

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2014
There are probably only 2 things that Apple can do to persuade me to upgrade to the 6s.

1. Improve battery life. I think the battery life on my phone is fine, and given my daily usage, it typically lasts all day. However, I'd like the ability to not be concerned about battery life when I travel or use it heavily.

2. Implement a brand new feature like force touch. Force touch has the potential for a lot of added functionality that would be welcomed.

I don't think either of those will be included in the 6s and think it will likely be just incremental spec bumps in camera, processor, 2GB RAM, etc.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
As far as the LED notification goes.. I wonder if it would be beneficial to have an optional setting that allows the screen to "flash" upon notification. Similar to the way the screen flashes when a screenshot is taken. I realize this wouldn't be as effective as a dedicated LED, but I think it would help draw the attention of the user.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
As far as the LED notification goes.. I wonder if it would be beneficial to have an optional setting that allows the screen to "flash" upon notification. Similar to the way the screen flashes when a screenshot is taken. I realize this wouldn't be as effective as a dedicated LED, but I think it would help draw the attention of the user.
I think part of the idea is to have it so that it's not so "in your face" (basically a more discrete small LED that doesn't really jump out at you) and also so that it's repetitive so that you can notice there's something pending in case you were away from your device and just glance at it (perhaps from across the room or something like that). They do already have notifications with the flash, but they are there for slightly different reasons and have those two issues I describe above as far as using them for more typical LED notifications.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
I think part of the idea is to have it so that it's not so "in your face" (basically a more discrete small LED that doesn't really jump out at you) and also so that it's repetitive so that you can notice there's something pending in case you were away from your device and just glance at it (perhaps from across the room or something like that). They do already have notifications with the flash, but they are there for slightly different reasons and have those two issues I describe above as far as using them for more typical LED notifications.

Good points. Also, having a discreet LED would be much better on battery life than having the screen flash at repeated intervals.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Good points. Also, having a discreet LED would be much better on battery life than having the screen flash at repeated intervals.
Yes, definitely that as well (I even meant to include that aspect of it in my reply but somehow left it out as I was actually typing up).

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
UK
I think :apple: won't go for a dedicated LED. If they go for OLED, they might build it into the display, but they won't do any more than that. Just my thoughts.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
UK
Do NOT get a blackberry. They have awful battery life, A faulty operating system, faulty contacts, a very annoying super-bright LED which you can't get to stop blinking in three different colours if your battery is low (which happens a lot), about 3 apps availible which actually have a point, and they take ages to boot up.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Blackberry has a LED... Get a blackberry.... No blinky light on my iPhone.

Ah, so when iOS didn't have copy and paste the most appropriate thing was to just dump the ecosystem and go with another phone entirely rather than, you know, actually have Apple implement it. Sure I guess hoping for a nice useful feature that is optional to use is somehow hurtful to those who might not want to use it. I want to say that it somehow makes sense somewhere, but it just doesn't.

----------

Do NOT get a blackberry. They have awful battery life, A faulty operating system, faulty contacts, a very annoying super-bright LED which you can't get to stop blinking in three different colours if your battery is low (which happens a lot), about 3 apps availible which actually have a point, and they take ages to boot up.
Well, if the LED can't be controlled as far as its use, then that's not a good implementation of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.