Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
I am thinking about upgrading my SSD in my MBA, which is a 128gb (APPLE SSD TS128C) to either and OWC model or a Transcend Jet Drive.

I would like to get more than 128gb, which is easy. However, I am just wondering if it is really worth it? I know that I will not get the full speed benefits since my MBA is older, but is there ANY speed increase I will get or none at all.

I mean, I still have 27gb free but that is because I do not keep all my iTunes movies downloaded on the MBA, and keep other large files in the Cloud or on an external drive. I do keep my large iTunes music library on the MBA itself, and then obviously any apps I download.

I have read bad things about OWC drives, some complaints being that they use the SandForce Driver, and that many people have received drives that do not fit and have had to modify their Macs to get the OWC drives to fit. I am unwilling to do that, so it appears I have to go with the Transcend Jet Drive 500, 240gb version as that is all that is supported due to SATA II that my MBA uses.

One last thing, if any knows of any other companies that offer SSD's for Macs that are reliable, and high quality please let me know, especially if I could get more than 240gb of storage.

I appreciate everyones responses in advance. Thank you so much!

:apple:

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
I am thinking about upgrading my SSD in my MBA, which is a 128gb (APPLE SSD TS128C) to either and OWC model or a Transcend Jet Drive.

I would like to get more than 128gb, which is easy. However, I am just wondering if it is really worth it? I know that I will not get the full speed benefits since my MBA is older, but is there ANY speed increase I will get or none at all.

I mean, I still have 27gb free but that is because I do not keep all my iTunes movies downloaded on the MBA, and keep other large files in the Cloud or on an external drive. I do keep my large iTunes music library on the MBA itself, and then obviously any apps I download.

I have read bad things about OWC drives, some complaints being that they use the SandForce Driver, and that many people have received drives that do not fit and have had to modify their Macs to get the OWC drives to fit. I am unwilling to do that, so it appears I have to go with the Transcend Jet Drive 500, 240gb version as that is all that is supported due to SATA II that my MBA uses.

One last thing, if any knows of any other companies that offer SSD's for Macs that are reliable, and high quality please let me know, especially if I could get more than 240gb of storage.

I appreciate everyones responses in advance. Thank you so much!

Is your late 2010 a 13" or 11" one? Does it have a SD Card slot? How about getting a Transcend JetDrive Lite (128GB, SD card)? You could put your media library there freeing up SSD space. You're also free of eventual issues related to replacing the internal SSD.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Other than storage space, if you are otherwise happy with your MBA, I see no reason not to update it's storage with the Transcend SSD. They are not that expensive and you can use your current internal SSD as an external storage device. You are wise to avoid OWC IMHO.

Lou

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
I have the 11" MBA. No SD Card Slot.

As far as avoiding OWC, I read a huge thread on these forums regarding their lack of quality, the possibility of having to cut some of the plastic internal area to make the drive fit correctly, the use of SandForce which seems to have issues with OS X, and the fact that they censor their forums of negative ratings by removing them or not even posting them in the first place.

Transcend seems like the company to go with.

As far as my other question, was I right that I will not gain any performance increases because of the SATA connection I have, or will I gain a little bit of performance but obviously not the full amount?

I appreciate your previous answers, and look forward to hearing back from you. Thanks in advance!

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
You will gain a slight, but hardly noticeable IMO, improvement in speed on the 2010. Had you a SATA III 2011 then the speed improvement would be more dramatic. I put in a 480GB Transcend SSD into my 13" 2010 MBA - for the space not the speed. I now use the original 128 SSD for storing shows and movies.

Before you do this ask yourself how long you wan to keep this MBA. Would your $ toward your new SSD be better served putting into a savings account for a 13" rMBP?

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
You will gain a slight, but hardly noticeable IMO, improvement in speed on the 2010. Had you a SATA III 2011 then the speed improvement would be more dramatic. I put in a 480GB Transcend SSD into my 13" 2010 MBA - for the space not the speed. I now use the original 128 SSD for storing shows and movies.

Before you do this ask yourself how long you wan to keep this MBA. Would your $ toward your new SSD be better served putting into a savings account for a 13" rMBP?

According to Everymac, the Late-2010 Macbook Air (Core 2 Duo) has a SATA-III SSD.

So there will be a slight noticeable improvement (although it will be not so slight looking at numbers) when adding a high capacity SSD. I presume that his current 128GB SSD does something like 300-330MB/s. With a new 512GB unit I would expect something like 450-500MB/s. It would be a nearly 50% speed bump on I/O.

However, I wouldn't do the upgrade if the OP is thinking mainly on performance. It would be noticeable if a 200% speed bump was possible. This could reduce problems caused by memory swapping, supposing the OP has the 2GB model.

asoksevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
London, UK
According to Everymac, the Late-2010 Macbook Air (Core 2 Duo) has a SATA-III SSD.

So there will be a slight noticeable improvement (although it will be not so slight looking at numbers) when adding a high capacity SSD. I presume that his current 128GB SSD does something like 300-330MB/s. With a new 512GB unit I would expect something like 450-500MB/s. It would be a nearly 50% speed bump on I/O.

However, I wouldn't do the upgrade if the OP is thinking mainly on performance. It would be noticeable if a 200% speed bump was possible. This could reduce problems caused by memory swapping, supposing the OP has the 2GB model.

I think that´s wrong information... It´s SATA II on the 2010 MacBook Air and there won´t be any significant speed bump.

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California

Yup. Nope. SATA II.

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
Did you see the Everymac page? It usually doesn't lie...

----------

If this is true, then, yes... the best possible rate will be ~270MB/s.

Everymac is wrong then. I have the late 2010 MBA. It's negotiated link speed is 3 GB/s. It is SATA II. You can get up to 270 MB/s Read with a Transcend SSD as you can see from my before/ after 480GB SSD here...Will it make a difference in your personal experience? Hard to say.

Attachments

• DiskSpeedTest Transcend 500.png
    DiskSpeedTest Transcend 500.png
    738.6 KB · Views: 262
  • DiskSpeedTest II - Transcend 480 SSD.png
    DiskSpeedTest II - Transcend 480 SSD.png
    741.9 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:

asoksevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
London, UK
Stats from my 2010 MBA using Toshiba's (Apple´s original) SSD

attachment.php

A bump from 200 MB/s to 270MB/s, not bad, that´s 35% increase on read speeds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.