Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newamiga

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2001
I found another possible Rendevous or Zero Conf related product thought. Shawn King was saying on the Your Mac Life show a couple weeks back that he knew of a new product announcement coming from El Gato, makers of the Eye TV product. I own an Eye TV and while it is not as cool as my Replay TV it is still a cool product. Imagine if you will that you put a zero conf adapter as Apple described during their WWDC presentation on the subject, in the EyeTV product. Apple demoed a webcam via firewire auto detecting and streaming using airport and via zero-conf at WWDC. You could auto detect this stream of video from any machine on the lan, you could stream the video to anywhere including perhaps to an interface to an real television.. humm imagine El Gato making a real TV interface and allowing you to stream to it over say Airport or even wireless Firewire using MPEG-4 streaming.
I know El Gato is high on my list of must see exhibitors at MWSF, and I really hope that something like this proves to be true. On the down side of course is Steve Job's detest for TV.. so I doubt it would make a stage appearance with him during the keynote.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
Well, iChat already supports Rendezvous so maybe Apple will take advantage of that capability as well as the ability of some firewire webcams to use Rendezvous and add voice/video chat abilities. The icons already exist within iChat so hopefully the feature is coming soon. Right now webcams/video chat is a paid to set up and use but Apple has the technology to make is as simple as pluging in your firewire webcam.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.