Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
The late-2011 works with the early-2011 restore disks to get Snow Leopard back on it. I borrowed some from work to banish Lion off mine when I bought it.

You can also install 10.6 via TDM from an older Mac. Once it gets updated to 10.6.7 (I think) all the drivers are there to allow it to boot natively.

10.6.8 installed through Target Disk Mode does work just fine on a late 2011. You can tell this screenshot is from a late 2011 by the CPU speed.

Attachments

• SL-late 2011 MBP.png
    SL-late 2011 MBP.png
    36.3 KB · Views: 128

mikiotty

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2014
Rome, Italy
Damn, I miss my 2011 15". My perfect Mac ... if only the GPU hadn't been made of chocolate.

Can't you bring it to the store and have it fixed? There is a recall for those Macs, they'll fix the logic board for free.

The one I'm looking at now is a 2011 13" Macbook Pro with 4GB RAM for $480, but I'm going to offer $420. Good deal? It has one fairly small dent.

I'm also giving a little consideration to HP Probooks and Elitebooks but I'd rather avoid Windows if possible.

Do not, for whatever reason, buy a 13" Retina MacBook Pro earlier than the latest one. They are choppy in graphics, the hardware can't handle that display without being laggy, and mine (Late 2013) suffered from multiple GPU issues. The 2015 ones have a decent enough GPU.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
Can't you bring it to the store and have it fixed? There is a recall for those Macs, they'll fix the logic board for free.

They don't "fix" it, they replace it with the same kind of board which will fail again.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Do not, for whatever reason, buy a 13" Retina MacBook Pro earlier than the latest one. They are choppy in graphics, the hardware can't handle that display without being laggy, and mine (Late 2013) suffered from multiple GPU issues. The 2015 ones have a decent enough GPU.

Not that the OP is even considering a rMBP, but the Intel Iris 5100 integrated GPU found in late 2013 rMBPs is much better than the Intel HD Graphics 3000 found in the old late 2011 MBP. My late 2013 rMBP has been doing just fine since I got it in January 2014, and yes there is some lag in Mission Control, but it seems even owners of new 2015 13" rMBPs aren't escaping it.

mikiotty

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2014
Rome, Italy
They don't "fix" it, they replace it with the same kind of board which will fail again.

Yes, you are right.
But you'll at least give the machine another 2/3 years of life...

----------

Not that the OP is even considering a rMBP, but the Intel Iris 5100 integrated GPU found in late 2013 rMBPs is much better than the Intel HD Graphics 3000 found in the old late 2011 MBP. My late 2013 rMBP has been doing just fine since I got it in January 2014, and yes there is some lag in Mission Control, but it seems even owners of new 2015 13" rMBPs aren't escaping it.

I know but it's been suggested so I warned him :)
Yes the 5100 is way better than the 3000, but the 3000 only has to manage 1280x800 pixels. The rMBP has WAY more pixels and has to constantly scale every item on the UI...

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I know this is really out of consideration, but I'm loving the 15" early '08 I paid $90 for on the Marketplace here.

It has the "standard" 15" resolution of 1440x900, and the 8600M is no slouch(even though there are much better GPUs on the market now. The screen is LED backlit and is matte-IMO, the best combination short of the hi-res matte screen on the 15" Unibodies. Supposedly, the '08s have GPU issues also, although I'm crossing my fingers that I can get a few years of use out of it.

It's maxed at 6gb of RAM, and I put a 500gb hybrid drive in it. It's a 2.4ghz C2D, and is no slouch under Mavericks. I've been using it most of the day today(after cloning my 13" 2011 onto it), and it has actually perked up a bit through the day. I'm told this is normal with hybrid drives, as they take a little bit of time to learn your habits and what it should cache in the SSD portion of the drive.

Unfortunately, I'm stuck using(crummy) Office 2008, as I'm pretty sure my 2011 license is only good for one computer. The IT store at school won't sell me another copy(I haven't tried on Office 2011 specifically, but have bought enough other software to know that it's a one time deal), and I really don't want to pay $80 for it retail. I guess I've been spoiled by $10 Microsoft software :) (and sometimes even free if it's older software and the guy who I always deal with doesn't feel like ringing it up-the last time I was over there he put the 2008 ISO on a flash drive for me). I'll read the EULA on my Office 2011 disks, and if they do allow multiple installs(I think some will allow two or three installs) I'm definitely putting 2011 on this computer.

I'd actually not used 2008 on an Intel computer before today, and had hoped that it might not suck as badly as it does on a G4(and even a G5). Unfortunately, I was wrong. About the only thing it has going for it is the UI. 2011 ruined the UI with the "Ribbon"(although admittedly I can work pretty quickly with it now that I'm used to it) and is actually a(slightly) better piece of software than 2008. It's no 2004 or X, but with Rosetta support gone and my heavy reliance on XML, neither of those are options.

BTW, I also have SL installed on it, although I haven't done too much in it yet.

EDIT:

It looks like under the EULA of 2011 "Home and Student"(which is what I have, I think), I can install it on up to three computers that I own provided that I'm only using it on one at a time.

Since I'm the only one who uses my computers, and even when I use multiple computers I'm not running Office on them at the same time. It looks like I'm good to go on the '08 MBP. That means I can even install it on my iMac that's on the way if I decide to do so.

If I have the "Academic" edition(which I think might actually be what I have), if I read the EULA correctly, there's actually no limit to the number of installations although the same rule about only using one at a time applies.

My install media is at work(and in my old desk in the old lab, at that) so I'll have to find it tomorrow and see what I have.

It would be really great, too, if MS would come out with a new version of Office soon so that I can buy another copy!

Last edited:

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Last edited:

MonksMac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2005
DFW
I've owned an early 2011 13" MBP for almost 4 years and it's been a great machine. The only difference between it and the late 2011 models is the lack of USB 3.0.

Thankfully these models are immune from the graphics issues that plague other 2011 models because of their Intel HD integrated graphics.

With an SSD and the base 2.3 i5, my 13" runs Mavericks and Adobe CC just fine.

Bunn - Does your school allow you to download MS software? My university has some academic agreement with MS that allows us to download free copies of Windows 7/8 and Office 2011/2013 (on up to five machines) and we can access it from our online Outlook accounts. Perhaps yours is similar?

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Edit: Forgot to mention that it's Yosemite only, so you'll have to update from Mavericks if you want to use the new version.

I'll try it on my Yosemite Macbook. I'm holding out on Yosemite on my Macbook Pros for as long as I can :)

Bunn - Does your school allow you to download MS software? My university has some academic agreement with MS that allows us to download free copies of Windows 7/8 and Office 2011/2013 (on up to five machines) and we can access it from our online Outlook accounts. Perhaps yours is similar?

We have some free downloadable software with a valid account(such as Endnote) but MS products-as far as I know-are available on physical media only from the IT store.

As I said, they keep close track of it, and will not sell you more than one copy of a particular piece of MS software.

MonksMac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2005
DFW
We have some free downloadable software with a valid account(such as Endnote) but MS products-as far as I know-are available on physical media only from the IT store.

As I said, they keep close track of it, and will not sell you more than one copy of a particular piece of MS software.

That makes sense. I know every university has different licenses and agreements with them. We only gained the ability to download this software about a year ago when we upgraded every account to Outlook 365, so I figured it might be worth a shot to recommend.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
The one I'm looking at now is a 2011 13" Macbook Pro with 4GB RAM for $480, but I'm going to offer $420. Good deal? It has one fairly small dent.

I'm also giving a little consideration to HP Probooks and Elitebooks but I'd rather avoid Windows if possible.

I wouldn't sell my wife's 2011 13" for that so yea I think it's a pretty good deal.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I know this is really out of consideration, but I'm loving the 15" early '08 I paid $90 for on the Marketplace here.

It has the "standard" 15" resolution of 1440x900, and the 8600M is no slouch(even though there are much better GPUs on the market now. The screen is LED backlit and is matte-IMO, the best combination short of the hi-res matte screen on the 15" Unibodies. Supposedly, the '08s have GPU issues also, although I'm crossing my fingers that I can get a few years of use out of it.

I have the previous Santa Rosa model and am still on the original logic board with zero problems. Just install FanControl or smcFanControl and be aggressive with when it kicks in. I don't game/render for hours on end with mine and use a laptop cooler when doing anything potentially toasty, which does reduce temps by quite a few degrees. I went for the shiny screen. I find reflections much less annoying than overenthusiastic application of anti-glare, which ruined my prior MBP with the ATI X1600.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK

Apple replaced it with a new rMBP after three failed repairs due to the shoddy quality of the "refurbished" logic boards. That was nearly a year ago.

I've owned an early 2011 13" MBP for almost 4 years and it's been a great machine. The only difference between it and the late 2011 models is the lack of USB 3.0.

Incorrect. The mid-2012 model was the first to have USB 3.0. Late-2011 is USB 2.0

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
I've bought two retail copies of Snow Leopard in the past 3 weeks directly from Apple. One was SL Server and the other SL Client.

Both were 10.6.3. Assuming that Apple is only stocking the newest retail release, I'd guess that there are no 10.6.8 disks.

Of course, gray disks are a different story.

Apologies. I meant that the retail version would need updating to 10.6.8. It was 2am, my brain was a big fuggy! 10.6.3 was the last retail release.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA

It's maxed at 6gb of RAM, and I put a 500gb hybrid drive in it. It's a 2.4ghz C2D, and is no slouch under Mavericks. I've been using it most of the day today(after cloning my 13" 2011 onto it), and it has actually perked up a bit through the day. I'm told this is normal with hybrid drives, as they take a little bit of time to learn your habits and what it should cache in the SSD portion of the drive.

Unfortunately, I'm stuck using(crummy) Office 2008, as I'm pretty sure my 2011 license is only good for one computer. The IT store at school won't sell me another copy(I haven't tried on Office 2011 specifically, but have bought enough other software to know that it's a one time deal), and I really don't want to pay $80 for it retail. I guess I've been spoiled by $10 Microsoft software :) (and sometimes even free if it's older software and the guy who I always deal with doesn't feel like ringing it up-the last time I was over there he put the 2008 ISO on a flash drive for me). I'll read the EULA on my Office 2011 disks, and if they do allow multiple installs(I think some will allow two or three installs) I'm definitely putting 2011 on this computer.

I'd actually not used 2008 on an Intel computer before today, and had hoped that it might not suck as badly as it does on a G4(and even a G5). Unfortunately, I was wrong. About the only thing it has going for it is the UI. 2011 ruined the UI with the "Ribbon"(although admittedly I can work pretty quickly with it now that I'm used to it) and is actually a(slightly) better piece of software than 2008. It's no 2004 or X, but with Rosetta support gone and my heavy reliance on XML, neither of those are options.

BTW, I also have SL installed on it, although I haven't done too much in it yet.

EDIT:

It looks like under the EULA of 2011 "Home and Student"(which is what I have, I think), I can install it on up to three computers that I own provided that I'm only using it on one at a time.

Since I'm the only one who uses my computers, and even when I use multiple computers I'm not running Office on them at the same time. It looks like I'm good to go on the '08 MBP. That means I can even install it on my iMac that's on the way if I decide to do so.

If I have the "Academic" edition(which I think might actually be what I have), if I read the EULA correctly, there's actually no limit to the number of installations although the same rule about only using one at a time applies.

My install media is at work(and in my old desk in the old lab, at that) so I'll have to find it tomorrow and see what I have.

It would be really great, too, if MS would come out with a new version of Office soon so that I can buy another copy!

When you're someone like me, I tend to mess up stuff on my hard drives or experiment with different drives, which usually breaks stuff and I have to start all over. I have office 2010 home and student for windows, and I must have installed it like 8 times by now. After the 4 or 5th time, it said it couldn't register it and I had to call the registration hotline. I did, put in the code, and then they asked how many computers I was using it on, and I said 2 (my mom's laptop and my desktop), it then stored the info, and registered the product permanently.

Just figured this info would come in handy if you try to install it on multiple systems.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Not aware of one.

I think Altemose was referring to the early-2011 10.6.7 restore media having a later (i.e. customised) build than the normal OS X update. So if using retail Snow Leopard media you'd need 10.6.8.
No. 10.6.8 was the only fully working version on the late 2011s. If you used 10.6.7 off the restore disk there would be some issues with the keyboard and machine identification.

MonksMac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2005
DFW
Incorrect. The mid-2012 model was the first to have USB 3.0. Late-2011 is USB 2.0

Ah, my mistake. It's a testament to how little the Unibody MB/MBP design has changed since it was introduced back in 2008... ;)

Regardless - the OP's find seems to be a good deal, even with a small dent. Hardshell and sleeve cases appear to be very common among owners of this generation MBP's, and offer the dual benefit of preventing further dents and dings and hiding the one already present. :)

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
I'm typing this from my 13" 2011 MBP with integrated, I've upgraded the RAM and HDD to 6GB and a hybrid. If you put an SSD in yours, it will fly. Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.