Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Symphony No. 1 and Symphony No. 4 but also simply Low Symphony and Heroes Symphony.

For some reason I can only attach one cover image...

Ah, thanks for that; I don't seem to have any of the ones you mention. As for his work that is derived from David Bowie - how do you find that?

Symphony No 2 features on my playlists - as do 'Glassworks', 'The Hours', 'Dancepieces', 'Akhnaten' and 'Einstein On The Beach'; I am pretty sure that there are other bits and pieces scattered around my wider iTunes library.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Ah, thanks for that; I don't seem to have any of the ones you mention. As for his work that is derived from David Bowie - how do you find that?

Symphony No 2 features on my playlists - as do 'Glassworks', 'The Hours', 'Dancepieces', 'Akhnaten' and 'Einstein On The Beach'; I am pretty sure that there are other bits and pieces scattered around my wider iTunes library.

I can't claim to be so musically sophisticated that I pick up on all the influences from the albums, but there are some exceptionally lovely and haunting parallels. I love Philip Glass when I'm spending time in nature out of the city.

I've linked the first few tracks form Heroes Symphony below.

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
I can't claim to be so musically sophisticated that I pick up on all the influences from the albums, but there are some exceptionally lovely and haunting parallels. I love Philip Glass when I'm spending time in nature out of the city.

I've linked the first few tracks form Heroes Symphony below.

YouTube: video

YouTube: video

Thanks for posting the videos, nice music!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Nope, I must check it out.

Well, I genuinely think that a sort of quantum leap in the development of popular musical occurred in the mid to late 60s.

Contrast the complexity of the music produced by any of those groups from the mid/late 60s with the stuff they were producing earlier in the decade - some of which was very basic and extremely predictable.

What they were able to produce later, is utterly unrecognisable in terms of musical progression, and complexity from what had preceded it.

Another album from that era that I really like a lot is Arthur Lee's fantastic - rightly seen as seminal - 'Love Forever Changes'.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Well, I genuinely think that a sort of quantum leap in the development of popular musical occurred in the mid to late 60s.

Contrast the complexity of the music produced by any of those groups from the mid/late 60s with the stuff they were producing earlier in the decade - some of which was very basic and extremely predictable.

What they were able to produce later, is utterly unrecognisable in terms of musical progression, and complexity from what had preceded it.

Another album from that era that I really like a lot is Arthur Lee's fantastic - rightly seen as seminal - 'Love Forever Changes'.

Yeah, you're right on there. '65 through '69 produced some really innovative and fascinating stuff. Thanks for the recommendations!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yeah, you're right on there. '65 through '69 produced some really innovative and fascinating stuff. Thanks for the recommendations!

Well, when I first heard Arthur Lee's group (the band went by the name of 'Love') - and their best album - which really is outstanding - and is the one I just recommended - 'Love Forever Changes', I was absolutely blown away.

I could hardly believe that this complex, lavish, subtle, and exceptional album dated from 1967.

The adjective I used in my earlier post - 'seminal' - was partly prompted by your adjectival musings and selections on the beer thread, but also by the fact that a rock publication which my brother and I had consulted to see what the critics had said had used that very expression (we had to look it up in a dictionary - this was the early eighties) to describe this album. And we were both in agreement that it is a description which is richly merited.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Well, when I first heard Arthur Lee's group (the band went by the name of 'Love') - and their best album - which really is outstanding - and is the one I just recommended - 'Love Forever Changes', I was absolutely blown away.

I could hardly believe that this complex, lavish, subtle, and exceptional album dated from 1967.

The adjective I used in my earlier post - 'seminal' - was partly prompted by your adjectival musings and selections on the beer thread, but also by the fact that a rock publication which my brother and I had consulted to see what the critics had said had used that very expression (we had to look it up in a dictionary - this was the early eighties) to describe this album. And we were both in agreement that it is a description which is richly merited.

Seminal, yes, a good word for double entendres. :D

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
It has been awhile since I listened to this one.

beatles1WENN071106_468x402_zpsvj8hpzja.jpg

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Back when music was really music, these gents ruled the day. Now, there is so much cookie cutter, drum machine created songs, I can't listen to the new fangled noise. Thank God for growing up when I did.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
And leaping back yet still further in time, I will present to you an old gem, a true classic, (and thank you, Happybunny, for reminding me of it).

The song in question is the haunting "Where Do You Go To My Lovely?" and the singer/songwriter is Peter Sarstedt.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Yesterday, my 5 year old had oral surgery. Long story short of it, had bad enamel, was going to have caps put on and possibly 2 - 3 baby root canals. Turned out he had an underbite, which made pulling his front 4 teeth the easier option.

He went into this thinking that he was going in to "have his teeth fixed", and since it wasn't instant, he's shattered that his teeth aren't "fixed" yet (his adult teeth aren't going to come in for another 6 months to a year), and going into crying fits about not being able to eat or anything. So it's hard to be away at work while he's sore and missing his teeth.

Calming him down this morning, this one popped into my head. Started singing it to him this morning, and made his day. So thank you, PC, BabyFace, and Cyndi!

BL.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.