Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

It's been a full weekend for the first batch of Apple Watch pre-order customers to experience Apple's wrist-worn device for themselves. While some issues like the impact of the Watch on an iPhone's battery life remain in contention, many early adopters agree the wearable's ten available watch faces offer a deep amount of customization for Apple's most personal device yet.

All of the different watch face options can be a bit confusing, so we've put together a video showcasing not only the detailed differences between each face but the complications most of the faces include to allow users to display various bits of information.

Apple Watch faces range from heavily customizable (chronograph) to essentially no customization whatsoever (astronomy and solar), and over the weekend many new Apple Watch owners took to the MacRumors forums to share photos of their watches, including everything from the initial packaging to pictures of the wearable on their wrists with their preferred watch faces and home screen layouts.

While the initial set of watch faces and the various options allow for significant amounts of customizability, Apple hints in its Apple Watch User Guide that it may add more options in the future.
Apple Watch includes a variety of watch faces, any of which you can customize to suit you. Check frequently for software updates; the set of watch faces that follows might differ from what you see on your Apple Watch.
apple_watch_home_screens.jpg
Beyond watch faces, the home screen is another area where users can show some creativity with manipulation of the constellation of apps from within the Apple Watch iPhone companion app. Some users have created completely new shapes of their own design, while others have recreated famous logos, from Apple's to what appears to be The Legend of Zelda triforce.

Article Link: Apple Watch Faces Offer a Multitude of Options While Users Get Creative With Home Screens

valleian

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Had so much fun with this when I setting it up, I made a diamond pattern (each layer has a hierarchy of importance, all centered around the clock starting with the hexagon, then the triangle, then so on and so forth):

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 1,326

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
It's seems like Apple has kept a lot of the Watch's features close to its vest. Maybe that's part of wanting to under-promise and over-deliver. Considering the amount of customization (given a relatively limited set of parameters), better than anticipated battery life and perks like being to use many aspects of the Watch without an iPhone nearby, it looks like Apple has another hit product.

Last edited:

DavidTheExpert

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2012
Why is there no way to display seconds on any of the digital watch faces? Every one of the analogue watch faces has a seconds hand. Why no seconds for the digital faces?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Abdel Ibrahim, who runs the site watchaware.com, said on Twitter that some developers have found evidence of an API for complications. I'll bet it gets announced at WWDC.

Wayfarer

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
This is my favorite one I found by a forum user. 3rd party apps on the left and Apple apps on the right!

KClBF18.jpg

Now Apple needs to allow customized app placement for the iPhone/iPad as well.

Filling in from top/left to bottom/right is just ridiculous at this point

----------

This is my favorite one I found by a forum user. 3rd party apps on the left and Apple apps on the right!

I like this idea a lot. When I get my watch, I'll definitely try to create some sort of a functional app distinction similar to this.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
If Apple would actually send me my watch, I would totally waste a whole day playing around and custimizing this into something unique that just screams of ME. :D

Apple, PLEASE send me a watch soon. this 4-6 week anchor around my neck is killing me.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
If I have to open an app from the Home Screen I don't consider it particularly well suited to Apple Watch. I want my interactions to be primarily Glance based.

bcoffing

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2014
Why is there no way to display seconds on any of the digital watch faces? Every one of the analogue watch faces has a seconds hand. Why no seconds for the digital faces?

That is strange... Mickey tapping his foot doesn't quite cut it either :)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This is why I love the Apple culture so much. :D :apple:

And yet after all these years they don't allow for much in that respect in iOS.

----------

Now Apple needs to allow customized app placement for the iPhone/iPad as well.

Filling in from top/left to bottom/right is just ridiculous at this point

----------

I like this idea a lot. When I get my watch, I'll definitely try to create some sort of a functional app distinction similar to this.
Yup, they almost did the opposite here as far as allowing customization, while years and years later iOS has remained the same without anything even close to that.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA

The custom experience each app in the App Store offers, is worth more than customization of icons and lock screens. I had Android devices for many years, and there is just so much time wasted by everyone who has the talent to make great things for that platform, and the ones who do do the pretty cool stuff, always get something wrong in the user experience.

I love the Today Widgets so much in iOS. I wish Android developers had come up with the many different things Apple guys do. A lot of the stuff I use would have been great on a home or lock screen. But no, there is so much detail on making time, weather, and a lock button look better.

Even the Windows Phone guys seemed to understand this stuff better, and that's why I enjoyed it so much for the 6 months I used it before my 2-year contract was finally up.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The custom experience each app in the App Store offers, is worth more than customization of icons and lock screens. I had Android devices for many years, and there is just so much time wasted by everyone who has the talent to make great things for that platform, and the ones who do do the pretty cool stuff, always get something wrong in the user experience.

I love the Today Widgets so much in iOS. I wish Android developers had come up with the many different things Apple guys do. A lot of the stuff I use would have been great on a home or lock screen. But no, there is so much detail on making time, weather, and a lock button look better.

Even the Windows Phone guys seemed to understand this stuff better, and that's why I enjoyed it so much for the 6 months I used it before my 2-year contract was finally up.
Yet it seems that it's right there built in from the begging for the Apple Watch.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England

Yes; it seems nearly all of the effort went into designing the analogue screens, and the digital faces were something of an afterthought.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
I agree. In fact, the standard watch faces are nearly all the same to me. Utility and Simple are virtually the same, and look the same as Color in style. There are no Roman numeral faces (which is a surprise given Apple's lengths to be traditional with this thing) and all the digital watches are surprisingly dull.

I'm hoping for some updated faces soon followed by opening of a 3rd party watch store (hopefully we don't have to wait for gen 2 for that one)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

----------

Yup, they almost did the opposite here as far as allowing customization, while years and years later iOS has remained the same without anything even close to that.

Rome wasn't built in a day. Craig & Jony can't do it all at once. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Watch technologies make their way to iOS devices. If Jony has his way I'll bet future iPhone screens will be AMOLED. Not this year but maybe next year. And I'll bet we get an option for dark 'theme' similar to Watch or OS X. I also won't be surprised to see force touch technologies come to iPhone/iPad. I'd love it if I could force touch on my wifi or Bluetooth icon in control center to change things and not have to go to the settings app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.