Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Meh, give me a keyboard cover and a kickstand ANY day of the week. The ecosystem is so much richer on the windows side, heck I'm still amazed that I can run the FULL version of freaking PhotoShop on my SP3 with no compromises. I can dock my SP3 and have a FULL desktop, no compromises. The kickstand is a stroke of pure genius, it's so much better than a laptop hinge and something that puzzles me that it's not included in other tablets. Don't even get me started on the stylus.

It's a shame that Apple won't put OSx on its tablets, but of course that would tank it's 2 device for every consumer business model. Consumers have bought into the marketing that they need 2 devices. Other duh stuff that I don't get is not having a USB port, not having mouse support, no multi tasking/multi window, etc.

uid15

Suspended
Mar 9, 2015
Perfect opportunity for Apple to "catch-up" to the Surface by making the iPad pro run OS X. That would shake things up a bit, and make a really great super mobile computer — usable even in-flight with the person in front of you leaning back their seat. :)

Then it wouldn't be classified as an iPad, it would be some "MacBook" <insert_new_model_name> product.

They wouldn't confuse customers by association of the "iPad" brand with OS X. That's not Apple AT ALL, and besides - it has been clearly stated BY Apple's design teams that this won't happen, not one bit of it. Touch optimised iOS is optimised for glass and finger interaction, Desktop Mac OS X is optimised for mouse and keyboard - this ain't Windows 8, LOL.

People seem to repeatedly fall into the same, obvious trap of believing that Apple are designing products for their fringe, niche requirements. Apple design for everyman, not for the niche cases. If you want a MacBook without a screen, buy one and attach a digitiser, and saw off the keyboard. They're not "playing catch up" TO ANYONE - this is Apple, they exist in their own space, and if you want to enter that space, walk in and grab a product, but they're equally as happy to see you wander by and go somewhere else for your needs. They don't feel the need to rush to the latest bleeding edge fads - they allow the market to flush all these "innovations" through their system, wait a few years, and then take whatever stuck in the mainstream, make it 10x simpler and more beautiful and intuitive, and then sell THAT.

Ah, and they'll also retire dead tech once in a while, to much uproar:

~ FireWire

~ Optical

~ Final Cut Pro < X

People will scream and shout, just like babies do when going through this same teething period; no matter :)

I see from Nasa broadcasts that the world's still spinning, though - phew :p

Last edited:

ksuyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
I quite agree with someone who mentioned this. "The new Macbook is the iPad pro." It does totally make sense. 1 port, thinner, lighter than iPad Air 2, and full MacOS functions. So, no, I don't believe there is iPad Pro.

But I could be wrong. :p

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
If it to be released in the Fall, why would it come with last year's A8X processor? Especially if it's going to be the "Pro" model of iPads?

I understand this is all based on very vague rumors, but wouldn't it make a lot more sense to speculate that it come with an A9 or A9X chip?

You have too much common sense & understanding for this forum, please leave. :D

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I quite agree with someone who mentioned this. "The new Macbook is the iPad pro." It does totally make sense. 1 port, thinner, lighter than iPad Air 2, and full MacOS functions. So, no, I don't believe there is iPad Pro.

But I could be wrong. :p
If it's the iPad Pro, where is the touchscreen?:confused:

Will0827

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2008
Seeing the one port cutout got me a bit disinterested, but thinking about it now with the macbook having only one port it makes alot of sense. With the ipads and iphone you could use the usb connection adaptor to use some peripherals but had no way of charging the device while using said peripherals. Now with usb c a nice hub can be used to connect your external display, or storage and charge the device. I really hope that this ipad pro is actually released. I kind of dont mind that it probably wouldnt run osx. Maybe developers will start to make more powerfull apps for iOS. Although releasing two different apps maybe cumbersome as this is the area windows will have an advantage, one app for all vs having to have an iOS and OSX version of a product. Let's see what apple has up it's sleeve.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
I think the iPad pro will have moderate success because it's an apple product and loyalist and ignorant masses will buy it. But I don't see being a huge hit. iOS is holding iPad back. Apple should really considered making an iPad that runs OS X.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I think the iPad pro will have moderate success because it's an apple product and loyalist and ignorant masses will buy it. But I don't see being a huge hit. iOS is holding iPad back. Apple should really considered making an iPad that runs OS X.
You are assuming that the hypothetical iPad Pro will be nothing more than hardware.

There is quite a bit that Apple can do to tweak iOS to enhance an iPad Pro that doesn't require ditching iOS altogether and replacing it with OSX.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
You are assuming that the hypothetical iPad Pro will be nothing more than hardware.

There is quite a bit that Apple can do to tweak iOS to enhance an iPad Pro that doesn't require ditching iOS altogether and replacing it with OSX.

They can tweak iOS all they , it still doesn't take away the fact that iOS has limitations. A lot of companies and schools use custom programs. The school I work in for example runs a program that was specifically built for our school. A teacher can easily install the program on their laptop and they can complete task in school or at home. With iOS I wouldn't be able to just run any desktop program. I wouldn't be limited to what is in the App Store.

I think ios is fine for browsing, casual gaming and watching movies. But to get actual work done is a joke. Even office for iOs is limited.

Now I'm not saying no one ever gets any work done using iOS but if the iPad pro ran OS X that would be a huge benefit bs would get more people to buy it. Apple could make a touch screen friendly version of OS X , like MS did with windows 8

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
They can tweak iOS all they , it still doesn't take away the fact that iOS has limitations. A lot of companies and schools use custom programs. The school I work in for example runs a program that was specifically built for our school. A teacher can easily install the program on their laptop and they can complete task in school or at home. With iOS I wouldn't be able to just run any desktop program. I wouldn't be limited to what is in the App Store.

I think ios is fine for browsing, casual gaming and watching movies. But to get actual work done is a joke. Even office for iOs is limited.
You appear to have a narrow definition of what "actual work" is. There are many enterprise applications that are developed for the iPad that don't appear in the App Store. Those apps are internal to a particular company and are deployed by their IT depts. The same could be done for schools.

Now I'm not saying no one ever gets any work done using iOS but if the iPad pro ran OS X that would be a huge benefit bs would get more people to buy it. Apple could make a touch screen friendly version of OS X , like MS did with windows 8
The last thing I (and many others) want is for Apple to do to OSX what Microsoft did to Windows 8.

What some of us are looking for is NOT a touchscreen Macbook... which is essentially what those who want an iPad Pro running OSX are looking for.

thepixelpusher

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2015
Dimension C-137
I think the full OS X would be great on an iPad with touch and stylus features, but Apple probably doesn't see it that way and I'm not holding my breath on this.

I'm a graphic designer and would love it. I love the tablet format, but Apple doesn't have the iPad developed enough to compete with the Cintiq. The Microsoft Surface just might get to the point of directly competing with the Cintiq at some point. I think Apple should reconsider.

Like I said I'm not holding my breath for OS X on a tablet format. :(

The only answer these days for a tablet OS X is the Modbook Pro at $3,199.
http://www.modbook.com/modbookpro

A Surface Pro 3 with a similar chipset and a slightly smaller screen runs less than half that in price.

Last edited:

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
When using a physical keyboard, the mouse is superior and the most natural pointing device.

For content creation, a mouse offers greater control and accuracy than simply using a finger.

A keyboard doesn't make your finger unsuitable for pointing. A mouse is operating at one more level of indirection, so if the interface is designed for finger input, such as iOS, a finger is the most natural pointing device. It was there before we had computers.

That would add unnecessary expense and complexity to a non "pro" system designed primarily for content consumption.

I've been impressed with how 3rd parties have worked around the limitations of the iPad to provide some type of active stylus support. Very creative.

If Apple won't provide support for conventional active stylus...
At the very least, Apple should adopt one of those solution's APIs and make it system-wide to iOS (rather than specific to individual applications that employ those APIs)... that could allow the existing hardware to support these type of stylus.

Having the support in only part of their products would add unnecessary expense and complexities on the software side, because some software would now be unsupported on some devices.

Third parties who have incorporated this on iOS, such as 53, which also make their own active stylus, add software support in the app itself instead of relying on OS support. That's a poor solution for Apple to adopt, because it relies on some select 3rd party implementation in one particular app, quite fragile.

IMO the best solution is for improvement in the screen technology itself, adding pressure sensitivity and higher resolution means that regular "dumb" pens would work at a higher resolution. It would also bring benefits to other applications beyond using a pen.

SSDGUY

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2009
Then it wouldn't be classified as an iPad, it would be some "MacBook" <insert_new_model_name> product.

They wouldn't confuse customers by association of the "iPad" brand with OS X. That's not Apple AT ALL, and besides - it has been clearly stated BY Apple's design teams that this won't happen, not one bit of it. Touch optimised iOS is optimised for glass and finger interaction, Desktop Mac OS X is optimised for mouse and keyboard - this ain't Windows 8, LOL.

People seem to repeatedly fall into the same, obvious trap of believing that Apple are designing products for their fringe, niche requirements. Apple design for everyman, not for the niche cases. If you want a MacBook without a screen, buy one and attach a digitiser, and saw off the keyboard. They're not "playing catch up" TO ANYONE - this is Apple, they exist in their own space, and if you want to enter that space, walk in and grab a product, but they're equally as happy to see you wander by and go somewhere else for your needs. They don't feel the need to rush to the latest bleeding edge fads - they allow the market to flush all these "innovations" through their system, wait a few years, and then take whatever stuck in the mainstream, make it 10x simpler and more beautiful and intuitive, and then sell THAT.

Ah, and they'll also retire dead tech once in a while, to much uproar:

~ FireWire

~ Optical

~ Final Cut Pro < X

People will scream and shout, just like babies do when going through this same teething period; no matter :)

I see from Nasa broadcasts that the world's still spinning, though - phew :p

Uhh gee … thanks for the correction. WHAT was I thinking?:rolleyes:

LittleLuth

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2014
Apple, might as well use the chassis of rMacBook, with keyboard.

What are people's thoughts on this? Could we see a rMB hardware clone with an ARM processor (A9 or A9X) running iOS with touch capabilities? Or is the stylus, large-screen iPad form factor more likely (likely with a first party keyboard)? Probably, but I bet $$ to donuts there is an rMB chassis running iOS with an A9 or maybe even A8X processor somewhere in or around Cupertino, CA...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.