Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LancashireLass

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2015
Hi recently I have been spring cleaning my ITunes and this afternoon when I was synching my iPod the Other memory has literally gone through the roof and I have been desperately trying to lower the Other Memory. I have done everything from getting rid of photos, to losing my apps such as Instagram and Facebook, also I have attempted to delete some of the apps that have been placed on by Apple but they won't let me delete them, I have also deleted memory from the Internet as well. I have even gone as far as deleting loads of music thinking that they may be a corrupted file, but I have still had no luck.

I'm literally at my wits end, this Other Memory has taken up half of all my memory and I really don't know what else to do, so please if anyone out there has any suggestions then I would appreciate it.

Many Thanks
Jane

Mambain

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2014
The exact same thing happened to me last week on my iPhone 6 Plus 64GB. I got a notification that memory was almost full. I connected my iPhone to iTunes and 35GB were used for 'Other'. I had to restore my iPhone to factory settings to fix it. It wouldn't have been a problem if I hand't had 2 GB worth of photos synced from my personal computer. I didn't know any other methods to transfer those photos to my computers, but to Airdrop it to my iPad. But since 0kb of memory was left on my iPhone, Airdrop wasn't working very swiftly, so I had to sacrifice several hundred pics

LancashireLass

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2015
Hi thank you for getting back to me, I've started to reset the iPod now but I have had to do an update as well, hopefully that's not a bad thing. I will see how it gets on. It's so annoying because half of my memory has been eaten up by this Other, it makes me wonder if it is worth complaining to Apple and will it get me anywhere.

J xxxx

Ps also there is few apps that have been put on by Apple that I don't use is there any way of getting rid of them?

J xxxxx

BigfootMN

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2014
This same thing has happened before to others. It seems that, if you have not upgraded to the latest iOS version, Apple downloads it to your device for you. Then, when you do the install, the upgrade is performed more quickly, since the download is already made. I would check under Settings:General:Software Update and see if there is a new iOS version. I am on iOS 8.2 and it says 8.3 is DOWNLOADED.

eboakes

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2009
East Coast
Backup, Restore, Recover from Backup

I have had this a couple of times with my iPads and an iPhone 6. Though time consuming, fixing it is easy and causes no loss of photos or any other user data:

1. Connect to iTunes on your computer and back up the device
2. Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings
3. From iTunes, recover the device
4. When you then set the device up, select to restore it from the very backup that you just created for it. Note that if you have different iCloud and iTunes IDs, skip the step of entering them, set the device up, then separately enter these IDs under their respective Settings entries. Otherwise, the iOS device will use your iCloud ID as your iTunes ID, and when you go to fix it, you might get locked out of iTunes music auto-download and match for 90 days.

For my 128 GB iPads, this takes a few hours. I generally let the backup happen over night. Pretty stupid that I have to do this, but I've gotten used to it. Complex gadgets screwing up seems to just be part of life, these days...

Tankerspam

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2015
Try see if you can download regardless, never had this problem...

Try to sync with computer not cloud (in case just do) an factory reset then uploa info from computer, this I what has been sacrificed to updates, Apple money making stuff. It can also be a sign that you have too many apps open, my 2nd gen never had this problem, try a reset although it many not work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.