Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
I had my hesitations when I read the byline, but reading further into the story, and the video below, this is pretty sweet. Well done to all that put this together, and they sound really tight! Enjoy!

http://www.npr.org/event/music/3887...kids-play-a-led-zeppelin-medley-on-xylophones

Watch Middle School Kids Play A Led Zeppelin Medley ... On Xylophones
February 24, 2015
by Robin Hilton

Today marks the fortieth anniversary of Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti, a phenomenal double album that included, among other songs "Houses Of The Holy," "In The Light" and, of course, the monumental "Kashmir."

Tomorrow we'll have an interview up with Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page, who tells us all about how the album came together. But in the meantime, we can't think of a better way to mark the milestone than with this genuinely incredible performance of "Kashmir," along with a medley of "The Ocean" and "Immigrant Song," by the Louisville Leopard Percussionists, a group of about 60 seven to 12-year-olds from several different schools in Kentucky. The group, which must have the coolest band director on the planet, originally recorded the performance last fall, but Page himself recently posted it to his personal Facebook page, saying it's "too good not to share!"

We agree.

BL.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
I saw that yesterday, and I just smiled the entire time.

A couple of observations: Those kids played pretty much note-perfect. I don't know there are any musical prodigies in the group, but it certainly speaks volumes for the level of dedication those kids have shown to put in the hours of practice and study needed to perform at that level.

And one of the music teachers obviously "put them up" to learning a Led Zeppelin song. Granted "Kashmir" is one of the all time classic rock n' roll songs. But I doubt it was on too many ten-year-olds playlists before they learned it in class.

Lastly, it does my heart and soul a power of good to see kids of every race, boys and girls, playing music together like that. It gives me great hope for the future of our species.

Enroll your kid in percussion club today!

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Wow, when I was their age, I think I was still scratching, and sticking things up my nose.

I'm always struck at how much confidence American children of that age seem to have. They seem completely relaxed performing like that, I think if you had (say) a group of Irish children of the same age they'd be far more nervous in a big group and on camera ("don't mess this up! DON'T MESS UP!") Hell, that's what I'd be like now.

oooh look! a crayon! I wonder what that smells like!

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
A followup on this, since this has garnered some serious attention.

http://www.npr.org/2015/03/01/39003...s-love-led-zeppelin-and-jimmy-page-loves-them

Young Louisville Percussionists Love Led Zeppelin — And Jimmy Page Loves Them
NPR STAFF
March 01, 2015 5:19 PM ET

"Too good not to share," Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page wrote Feb. 20 on his Facebook page. "Have a rocking weekend!"

He was referring to this YouTube video of the Louisville Leopard Percussionists, an ensemble of 7 to 12-year-olds playing a medley of Zeppelin hits. That video, originally uploaded last November, has received more than 3 million views since Page shared it.

The Zeppelin medley was the brainchild of Diane Downs, a teacher who runs the Percussionists after school and on weekends.

Her young musicians play marimbas, vibes, timbales, congas, xylophones and, of course, drums. And they don't just perform rock music — they also play jazz, classical and pop.

The new-found attention for the small group is "pretty cool," Downs tells NPR.

"I want them to feel like rock stars. I want them to realize, 'Oh, this is why we work so hard in rehearsal.' I tell them that when you're presenting something to the public, you don't want it to be okay — you want it to be great," she says. "So hopefully they're going to carry that over into their lives once they grow up, too."

david-2-jonas-3000-80480e57ed8d9e8e3541a89346ec04fa557daae7-s1200.jpg

David Williams (in the leopard hat) and Jonas Gordon (at right) play their xylophones with the rest of Kentucky's Louisville Leopard Percussionists. Courtesy Tricia Williams

I want that Leopard hat. :D

BL.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
i was nervous puff daddy (as he was known then) would show up, walk over everything and ruin it

eko91

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2015
awww soo cute!

I wonder how long they had to practice for this! So amazing!! Good job to the band director and of course the students!! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.