Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stride

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2015
Hi,

I am planning to port 2 of lines from att to t-mobile. I currently have smartphones on att with $300+ ETF due.

As part of the ETF reimbursement plan, can I trade-in any non-smartphone to t-mobile and receive the full ETF ? I didn't find any verbiage in the tmobile ETF FAQ regarding trading any the same type of phone. But I read in some other forums that trading in a non-smartphone is only eligible for $150 ETF. Is that true ?

Has anybody who has switched to tmobile and traded in a non-smartphone confirm that they received a $300+ ETF ?

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Hi,

I am planning to port 2 of lines from att to t-mobile. I currently have smartphones on att with $300+ ETF due.

As part of the ETF reimbursement plan, can I trade-in any non-smartphone to t-mobile and receive the full ETF ? I didn't find any verbiage in the tmobile ETF FAQ regarding trading any the same type of phone. But I read in some other forums that trading in a non-smartphone is only eligible for $150 ETF. Is that true ?

Has anybody who has switched to tmobile and traded in a non-smartphone confirm that they received a $300+ ETF ?

It has to be on their trade in list. Check on their website for a list of eligible trade in devices.

http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-trade-in.html?icid=WMD_TM_ATBT_LTSV6PDRZC2822#tradein

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
Is that the only requirement ? Can it be a dumb phone even though I am asking for the smartphone ETF to be reimbursed to me ?

PS: I do see the devices I am planning to trade-in in the above list.
Yes you can. I did it on 8 lines, two of which I did in the store. They were dumb flip phones that didn't even turn on, in which case I didn't get the $1 bill credit for the trade, but fully qualified it for my ETF reimbursement submission. The other 6 lines I did in fact receive $6 credit on my bill for the trade because they were functioning dumb phones.

stride

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2015
Yes you can. I did it on 8 lines, two of which I did in the store. They were dumb flip phones that didn't even turn on, in which case I didn't get the $1 bill credit for the trade, but fully qualified it for my ETF reimbursement submission. The other 6 lines I did in fact receive $6 credit on my bill for the trade because they were functioning dumb phones.

Awesome. Thanks for that info. Appreciate your reply. If you dont mind, can you let me know how long ago was this ?

Also, your ETF was more than $150 correct ?

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
Awesome. Thanks for that info. Appreciate your reply. If you dont mind, can you let me know how long ago was this ?

Also, your ETF was more than $150 correct ?
The last one (two ETF from Verizon) was about a month ago. Total from the day I submitted the online submission to the day I received the prepaid card was 6 weeks. $700.

stride

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2015
Anybody else who can chime in with their experiences ? I just want to be doubly sure that sending dumb phones is enough for getting smartphone ETF to be reimbursed.

fre3way

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2014
Anybody else who can chime in with their experiences ? I just want to be doubly sure that sending dumb phones is enough for getting smartphone ETF to be reimbursed.

Do you have the unlimited data plan from AT&T right now?

bookwormsy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
Can confirm. Turn in ANY phone, but you do have to buy a phone from them. I turned in an old blackberry that was cracked and my old LG flip phone from 2005 and they took it. We ended up buying the cheapest phone they had and used our AT&T phones we had unlocked.

When you switch, switch the day before your new billing cycle starts. AT&T doesn't prorate when you cancel so they'd charge you for the full cycle if you switch even on day 1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.