Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yertle

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2010
Recently I did something (no idea what) that made my recent documents go away from the dock.

How do I get recent documents back in the dock?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Drag you Documents/Downloads* folder onto the Dock and right click on it to sort by date.

MRoogle will give you thousands of threads about this issue.

* there is no RECENT DOCUMENTS folder on Mac OS X, unless you created it and dragged it there yourself - look at post 6 (six) on how to do it via Terminal, if you want.

Also have a look at the following links to learn more about Mac OS X:

yertle

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2010
Thanks!

Seems like the folder must be dragged to the right-most side of the dock to get it to "take." I guess that's where "stacks" must live! Everything is peachy now.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
Drag you Documents/Downloads* folder onto the Dock and right click on it to sort by date.

MRoogle will give you thousands of threads about this issue.

* there is no RECENT DOCUMENTS folder on Mac OS X, unless you created it and dragged it there yourself

Wrong. In Terminal:

Code:
defaults write com.apple.dock persistent-others -array-add '{ "tile-data" = { "list-type" = 1; }; "tile-type" = "recents-tile"; }'; killall Dock

This will add a recents stack to your dock, which will contain 10 recent items. Right-click and select what you want the stack to contain. Options include:

1. Recent Applications
2. Recent Documents
3. Recent Servers
4. Recent Volumes
5. Favorite Items

You can do this as many times as you want and have all 5 stacks if you would like.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Wrong. In Terminal:

Code:
defaults write com.apple.dock persistent-others -array-add '{ "tile-data" = { "list-type" = 1; }; "tile-type" = "recents-tile"; }'; killall Dock

This will add a recents stack to your dock, which will contain 10 recent items. Right-click and select what you want the stack to contain. Options include:

1. Recent Applications
2. Recent Documents
3. Recent Servers
4. Recent Volumes
5. Favorite Items

You can do this as many times as you want and have all 5 stacks if you would like.

Thanks for the heads up, but Terminal is not as widely (or wildly) used as lets say the browser or chat software, so dabbling in Terminal is quite uncommon for John and Jane*. And there is also the Recent Items section in the Menu Br under the Apple.
And my statement still stands: There is no RECENT DOCUMENTS folder, a stack is something else.

* The ones, that post threads on how to get something back into the Dock or rename a file or wondering about how to add the menu to every frelling window.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
Thanks for the heads up, but Terminal is not as widely (or wildly) used as lets say the browser or chat software, so dabbling in Terminal is quite uncommon for John and Jane*. And there is also the Recent Items section in the Menu Br under the Apple.
And my statement still stands: There is no RECENT DOCUMENTS folder, a stack is something else.

* The ones, that post threads on how to get something back into the Dock or rename a file or wondering about how to add the menu to every frelling window.

It doesn't have to be widely used. When the command comes from a knowledge source, pasting it in is not a big deal. In fact, Terminal commands are often given here in response to question because they are the only way to get it done.

For those who do not want to use Terminal: Cocktail will add recents to the Dock. Onyx probably does as well.

A stack is a directory of items, this one is just populated by a plist rather than an actual directory. In addition the OP did not ask for a folder, they asked for their "recent documents."

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Recently I did something (no idea what) that made my recent documents go away from the dock.

If you drag anything from the Dock and release the mouse, an image of a puff of smoke appears, and the item vanishes forever. Well, at least until you put a new one in its place, but the old one is gone for good.

jbeezz

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2010
It doesn't have to be widely used. When the command comes from a knowledge source, pasting it in is not a big deal. In fact, Terminal commands are often given here in response to question because they are the only way to get it done.

For those who do not want to use Terminal: Cocktail will add recents to the Dock. Onyx probably does as well.

A stack is a directory of items, this one is just populated by a plist rather than an actual directory. In addition the OP did not ask for a folder, they asked for their "recent documents."

This is intelligible to anyone who does not know what a PLIST is or where to find TERMINAL.

If you could tell us where to find TERMINAL it would be helpful.

We just want to see the 10 documents in the DOCK again... is there no easy way to explain how to do this?

jbeezz

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2010

WHERE is Terminal?

jbeezz

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2010

I downloaded Cocktail and still have no idea how to get my document stack back.... can ANYONE help???? :eek:

jbeezz

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2010
It worked... THANK YOU!

Wrong. In Terminal:

Code:

1. Recent Applications
2. Recent Documents
3. Recent Servers
4. Recent Volumes
5. Favorite Items

Once I found Terminal this WORKED YEA! Thank you SO much. It's the only useful piece of information that I found to solve this problem. I am delighted. :) :) :) :apple:

jbeezz

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2010

Cocktail did not add recents to the DOCK. It was useless for anyone but advanced users.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
WHERE is Terminal?

Macintosh HD / Applications / Utilities / Terminal.

To find files, folders and applications on your Mac, use Spotlight to look for them. You can normally activate it via pressing Command and the Spacebar to activate the Spotlight input filed in the upper right corner of the screen, the icon representing the loupe.

spotlight_hero20090608.png

russkirk

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2012
Portland, OR
Restoring Recents folder to right side of dock

This still works, as of May 1, 2015 in OS X 10.10.4 public beta. Thanks again, caldrone!! :D:cool:
In Terminal:

Code:

1. Recent Applications
2. Recent Documents
3. Recent Servers
4. Recent Volumes
5. Favorite Items

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Applications only on the left side, stacks and documents only on the right.

Please take a closer look (screenshot above) at the options offered by Secrets.

Attached to this post: a screenshot of two 'Recent' stacks to the left of the divider. I don't normally have them to the left, but it is possible – at least with Mavericks.

This screenshot of the Dock, in context:
– but please note that the placement of stacks is independent from the theming.

Attachments

• to the left.png
    to the left.png
    200.3 KB · Views: 136
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.