Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
The microwave is, by design, flawed. I am seconding the convection oven suggestion so hard right now.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Interesting, I'd be interested in a microwave like that. However I wouldn't be willing to spend much more than I would for a normal microwave of the same wattage. I also wouldn't buy it until my current microwave kicks the bucket.

What would be more revolutionary to me and something I'd be willing to pay more for. Would be a microwave that cooks food evenly. This doesn't help that at all. Perhaps one that doesn't create crusty edges when reheating chili.

All it guarantees is the outside will be hot. The core of the food can still be cold. While everything is hot on the outside. The guarantee is more along the lines of hot and inferno.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
First of all, microwaves are outstanding. Would I rather cook something in the microwave for seven minutes or cook it in the convection oven for 45 minutes after allowing it to heat up for 5 min? Obviously the former. You ever cook veggies in a steamer pack in the microwave? The Ultimate in convenience. However I like the idea of not so much a thermal map, but simply a program that tells you when the food has reached a desired state determined by nfrared feedback. I don't see the map, the thermal map as being all that valuable as a display. I also think there could be issues with the outside temp versus the inside temp of something thick, where the thermal map would have to be interpreted.

viorelgn

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
Romania
Alternate modes of heating such as infrared and air jet are qualitatively different compared to microwave heating. Only a systematic study of the underlying principles that govern the combination of heating modes would provide the necessary knowledge base for a rational approach to the design of combination ovens. Physics-based computer models have been developed that combine the various modes of heating in a comprehensive manner. From this model, trends have been developed for the effects of various heating parameters in the development of new technology.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Maybe it's a decent microwave idea, but the guy has a poverty stove/oven. Therefore no credibility.

eko91

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2015
what the!!

Sounds awesome!! If anyone watched Disney Movie Smart House, this sorta reminds me of it! Did you guys sign the petition in the videos description box?

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Well, decent idea, but I haven't owned a microwave in years and don't miss it at all. On the other hand I actually cook food on a daily basis....not Hot Pockets.

Maybe it's a decent microwave idea, but the guy has a poverty stove/oven. Therefore no credibility.

I'm not sure of the connection between a "poverty" stove and credibility with respect to designing a microwave.

And I'm not sure of the point of making the invidious distinction of poverty versus---what?---non-poverty stoves is. It isn't clear to me what relevance one's ability to pay for an expensive stove (or one's ability to pay rent for an apartment furnished with an expensive stove) has on...anything?

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
I'm not sure of the connection between a "poverty" stove and credibility with respect to designing a microwave.

And I'm not sure of the point of making the invidious distinction of poverty versus---what?---non-poverty stoves is. It isn't clear to me what relevance one's ability to pay for an expensive stove (or one's ability to pay rent for an apartment furnished with an expensive stove) has on...anything?

Do you need to lie down?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.