Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArthurWellsley

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2011
London
One thing I'm liking about WOT are all of these bonus xp programs (or whatever they are called) that throws out any where from 25-100k xp. I've been playing for 1.5 years and I want to say this is something that was not around when I first started.

Regarding XVM I looked at it a while back but could not find adequate documentation on how to configure it. I wanted to see player stats and it's projection of win/loss. One less thing to miss?

Automatic configuration based on tick boxes, very easy to use;

http://www.odemmortis.com/index.php?site=files&file=98

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
I'm getting a bit fed up of this game. I've only seen the new map from 8.11 one single time, and this latest version has really dark lighting that makes tanks look like silhouettes from certain angles. Servers have slowed down - played last night and got a 300ms ping, which is barely playable.

Matchmaking keeps putting my tier 3 tanks in with tier 5s, which isn't a great experience.

I'm still doing okay, though. I have 2,200 battles, 5,000 rating, 53% wins, 40% survival, 1.8 kill/death ratio across all tanks.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
Been playing since closed Beta. While definitely the servers have been pretty rocky recently a 300ms ping is probably due to problems on your end. I have never experienced a ping like that (except from the beta days when we had to use the Russian servers). I never go above 90ms while on WiFi and usually sit around 60ms.

Don't use hitbox skins, if you are needing to improve your performance use XVM, simply provides you with more information. Hitbox skins are pretty pathetic, I have learnt all the weak spots - most are inherent to each class or nation.

I like the 9.0 update, I play on my Mac and it runs well (I disable motion blur as well as grass in sniper mode).

Yeh I still remember the day x2 XP for first win of the day was introduced. My jaw nearly hit the floor. I do miss the days of old school WoT, good old ruskies vs germans, no physics, getting stuck all the time but boy was it fun.

Also Havok physics and some multicore support was introduced with 9.0. The tracks of all the HD models have Havok physics support I believe and it looks great. I have a few models in HD like the M103 and T-54. Can't wait to see the others!

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm getting a bit fed up of this game. I've only seen the new map from 8.11 one single time, and this latest version has really dark lighting that makes tanks look like silhouettes from certain angles. Servers have slowed down - played last night and got a 300ms ping, which is barely playable.

Matchmaking keeps putting my tier 3 tanks in with tier 5s, which isn't a great experience.

I'm still doing okay, though. I have 2,200 battles, 5,000 rating, 53% wins, 40% survival, 1.8 kill/death ratio across all tanks.

I consider myself a duffer. Ten thousand battles and ( I think) an average win rate at 48%. I frequently make stupid mistakes like exposing myself to get a kill shot and frequently dying for that folly. Most frustrating is when PUG teams dissolve around me over and over. Now that I'm not using skins, I shoot for ports or hatches with good success. There are a few tanks that are actually better to shoot in the turret. I have a list of those. :)

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
I'm approaching 1,000 games in my FCM36 tank destroyer now. 57% wins in that, I think, and better than 3:1 kill ratio. There are so many tanks, I can't remember where the weakspots are. I try to destroy the tracks first, so I can kill them at my leisure.

Sometimes, though, tracking them is the best I can do - I've had matches with tier 6 vs tier 10, and that's just ridiculous. Even 3 vs 5 can be annoying. It's like being forced to play Call of Duty with a pistol against a bunch of people wearing kevlar vests and carring bazookas. I know you can still 'contribute' something but it's not much fun - the worst aspect of the game for me.

Haven't encountered any huge pings again recently, but everyone on the server was complaining about the 300ms one. Still think the new lighting engine is much too dark, and the sound is dreadful - surround doesn't seem to be supported, engines can barely be heard unless the camera is very close, and exploding tanks make a weedy 'pop' noise.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm approaching 1,000 games in my FCM36 tank destroyer now. 57% wins in that, I think, and better than 3:1 kill ratio. There are so many tanks, I can't remember where the weakspots are. I try to destroy the tracks first, so I can kill them at my leisure.

Sometimes, though, tracking them is the best I can do - I've had matches with tier 6 vs tier 10, and that's just ridiculous. Even 3 vs 5 can be annoying. It's like being forced to play Call of Duty with a pistol against a bunch of people wearing kevlar vests and carring bazookas. I know you can still 'contribute' something but it's not much fun - the worst aspect of the game for me.

Haven't encountered any huge pings again recently, but everyone on the server was complaining about the 300ms one. Still think the new lighting engine is much too dark, and the sound is dreadful - surround doesn't seem to be supported, engines can barely be heard unless the camera is very close, and exploding tanks make a weedy 'pop' noise.

I don't care if it is a scout, I don't believe a 6 should ever be playing with a 10, although usually there are a few tanks you can pen and you can perform scout duties. I fave no idea why it's not a 3 tier spread always. Another critique, if I have not all ready mentioned it, although I accept it as a means of organizing a game, the tier system introduces a major artificiality to the game. I recently signed up for the Armored Warfare beta and am looking forward to see how they do it. :)

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
Being a scout isn't what I play the game for. I've seen people do it really well and get huge assist points, but I'm good at tank destroyers so that's what I want to play. When I get matched against higher tier tanks I'm handicapped by the game, so it spoils my fun.

I'd love to get a tier 10 tank, so at least I know that if I constantly bounce shots off the enemy then it's because of my lack of skill rather than the enemy being too tough for my gun. It's a long way off, though. Such a grind.

Armored Warfare looks interesting. From a maker of RPGs - I wonder how that will work out.
Edit: I see it's built with CryEngine - if nothing else it's going to look so much better than WoT.

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
I finally uninstalled the game. I used to really like it but now it just makes me angry.

* The players are extremely unpleasant on the in-game chat - 'f u noob', 'idiot team', 'learn to play, retards', etc, etc...
* The matchmaking is terrible - today I saw a squad with tier 1 and tier 4, matched in a game of tier 7s.
* The graphics look much worse than before the last patch.
* At least 1 game in 3 has idle players or bots sitting at the base, shooting into the floor.
* The devs are always rebalancing (nerfing) something I liked.
* They've never fixed the performance - it still runs like a dog and the surround sound is broken (flicks between speakers, doesn't pan correctly)

And other reasons. I hit 1,000 games in the FCM36, though, so it's a good point to quit. Still have gold in my account, unfortunately. Maybe I'll return some day.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I finally uninstalled the game. I used to really like it but now it just makes me angry.

* The players are extremely unpleasant on the in-game chat - 'f u noob', 'idiot team', 'learn to play, retards', etc, etc...
* The matchmaking is terrible - today I saw a squad with tier 1 and tier 4, matched in a game of tier 7s.
* The graphics look much worse than before the last patch.
* At least 1 game in 3 has idle players or bots sitting at the base, shooting into the floor.
* The devs are always rebalancing (nerfing) something I liked.
* They've never fixed the performance - it still runs like a dog and the surround sound is broken (flicks between speakers, doesn't pan correctly)

And other reasons. I hit 1,000 games in the FCM36, though, so it's a good point to quit. Still have gold in my account, unfortunately. Maybe I'll return some day.

I'm not ready to quit, but I have applied for the Armored Warfare beta which should start this year. The T1+T4 platoon example was a failed platoon. You can't blame the match maker if the Tier 4 tank was a light tank, because the upper tank in the platoon was matched to a standard 4 tier (scout) spread. And I have been known to criticize my team with "idiot" and "noob" if they are doing obviously idiotic and/or noobish things. ;)

Like leaving a flank undefended or with an encounter battle in town, all heavies should report to the vicinity of the flag, not be running around the perimeter of the map, not playing in the field or in the pass. This is not a blanket rule, but based on specific maps of which their names elude me. I watched this the other day and despite encouragement, the match was lost by the time the 2 heavies finally got to where the battle was taking place.

For this map, in encounter mode with flag in town, the fight is definitely in town. To often tanks in the pass get bogged down while the battle is decided in town:
dc13O.jpg

Last edited:

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Played this game last night for the first time. Considering the focus it's a great game.

I just watched the anime "Girls und Panzer" on Crunchyroll. After watching it, you definitely feel like playing some "World of Tanks" :D.

Edit: Think of it as a cross between a girl's high school, the movie "The Bad News Bears" and competition between WWII tanks. They used 3DCGI modeling for parts of the tank battles and did a good job modeling the interior/operation and exterior of the different tank models. In one battle, a Japanese type 89B shot point blank into the rear of a Matilda and couldn't kill it :).

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I've heard very good things about this game and watched some video of tank battles. It does look like it would be fun. However, as you noted I would expect to have to pay money for a fully enjoyable experience. I've yet to see a f2p game I'd play for free because they always cut enough to get you to pay. I guess I cannot blame them. How can they stay in business if nobody pays to play? Anyway, it's nice you can give it a good test drive and get a good feel for if it is something you'd enjoy and so not mind paying for.

Does this have a native Mac version? It's been a while since I looked at it and I can't remember.

I was looking back over old posts...

I've come to realize most people once they are hooked, pay for something, either premium which can be by the month or in smaller incriments or to get premium tanks. Premium tanks for the most part are not any better than earned tanks, but some of them do have advantages, like the Super Pershing which has more armor than the regular Pershing. In most cases an advantage in one area, means a lesser stat in another area- such as more armor, but less powerful gun. What's makes them primarily different is the formula applied to them which makes them consistently earn more xp and silver (credits) in battles. And they can also be used to accelerate the experience gains of other tank crews that normally reside in your earned tanks, as long as they are trained in the same tank class and country. This is important because not only does it help crews train quicker, but assists in the purchase of your next earned tank. I've probably spent more money in this game than any subscription game I've ever played.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Fury Movie Spoilers

Any WoT players see Fury? Wondering what you thought? :)

It reduces tank warfare from what seems to be tons of strategy (in my favorite current game) to mostly brute strength. Drive across a field, get shot at, return fire. Or sit in ambush. Kill or be killed. The M4 Sherman did not appear to be nearly as maneuverable as in-game M4s which really means nothing. WoT has a lot of artificiality built into it. Including how much damage that can be taken before your tank goes boom.

The battlefield environments in WoT seem reasonable. I just don't see in real life quite so many opportunities to joust as you can in-game although I saw parallels. When they flank the Tiger, that seemed like a heck of a lot of work. 2 penetrations and the tank was dead. WoT takes more work. ;) I wonder what it feels like in a real tank when it's hit by AP or Heat, but does not penetrate? I wonder if in real life there were ever opportunities for a smaller faster tank to drive circles around a larger slower tank shooting it until it was dead?

Last edited:

QuantumLo0p

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2006
U.S.A.
I was looking back over old posts...

...And they can also be used to accelerate the experience gains of other tank crews that normally reside in your earned tanks, as long as they are trained in the same tank class and country. This is important because not only does it help crews train quicker, but assists in the purchase of your next earned tank. I've probably spent more money in this game than any subscription game I've ever played.

I have a Super Pershing and it makes money even when I lose a battle. When I win a battle and have good game the credits this thing makes is crazy. There are players who criticize people who buy premiums because they are jealous you can start out with a decent vehicle, not great, but decent and with a 100% crew. My main reason to buy a Super Pershing was to grind credits which is exactly what is does quite nicely.

As for crew training I think a buddy of mine is training a crew using his super pershing prem, fury prem and his Easy Eight because I think you can put crews into the premium vehicles without penalties...?

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I have the 360 version and love it. I mainly play as light tanks and the game is certainly fun (and upgrades are attainable) eveb if you don't pay any money. After a couple months playing I paid $60 for some gold but I did so to support the devs, not because I needed the gold to get ahead. If you make a game this fun, especially one that's free to play, you deserve to get money in put in the tip jar!

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I have a Super Pershing and it makes money even when I lose a battle. When I win a battle and have good game the credits this thing makes is crazy. There are players who criticize people who buy premiums because they are jealous you can start out with a decent vehicle, not great, but decent and with a 100% crew. My main reason to buy a Super Pershing was to grind credits which is exactly what is does quite nicely.

As for crew training I think a buddy of mine is training a crew using his super pershing prem, fury prem and his Easy Eight because I think you can put crews into the premium vehicles without penalties...?

Yes, you should be using another US medium tank crew in your Soper Pershing unless that is your only US Premium. Use the crew transfer function to make it quick and painless! There is no penalty and whatever crew you use will benefit from accelerated xp accrual that the Premium has. WarGaming has said that is a prime reason to go with a premium vehicle.

I have the 360 version and love it. I mainly play as light tanks and the game is certainly fun (and upgrades are attainable) eveb if you don't pay any money. After a couple months playing I paid $60 for some gold but I did so to support the devs, not because I needed the gold to get ahead. If you make a game this fun, especially one that's free to play, you deserve to get money in put in the tip jar!

You'll find unless you are a stellar tanker, that above L7 without premium it is a longer slog, but maybe you are the ace of the base. :)

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
You'll find unless you are a stellar tanker, that above L7 without premium it is a longer slog, but maybe you are the ace of the base. :)

On the 360 version it's only been in the past 2-3 months I think that light tanks above Tier 5 have been available (not totally sure as I haven't been able to play much recently). I've been rockin' the Chaffee for a while but it might be time to get back into that new-tank grind. I'll probably drop some cash to easy the pain, but like I said in my previous post, I think WarGaming had done a great job with WoT so I'm okay throwing money their way every now and then.

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
I'm playing the Blitz version and from what it seems, its a much easier to grind than the PC version. Got most of my tanks to Tier 7 (have about 7 lines or so) can't wait to get to Tier 8 on a few of them. I really want to try some of the Japanese and French tanks due to their autoloaders but they probably won't be in the game for while for balancing reasons. The British lines are quite unique with their high fire rate and low damage.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm playing the Blitz version and from what it seems, its a much easier to grind than the PC version. Got most of my tanks to Tier 7 (have about 7 lines or so) can't wait to get to Tier 8 on a few of them. I really want to try some of the Japanese and French tanks due to their autoloaders but they probably won't be in the game for while for balancing reasons. The British lines are quite unique with their high fire rate and low damage.

I would not be surprised if the console grind is shorter.

- Artillery will not be removed from the game

Source: http://ritastatusreport.blogspot.ca/2015/04/04042015-q.html

I like arty! I'm running a couple arty lines. The highest arty tier I own is one T8 German. I can't say it's happened but I've never seen arty being team killed. Regarding maps, they don't need to remove maps. They need to put more maps into circulation. Sometimes it seems like it's the same 7 maps over and over.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
WoT 9.7 Modpack Issues.
I've been using the Odemmortis.com mod pack, which includes XVM for some time without issues. Since the update and installing the latest version of ODM, Wot has been crashing to destkop. I've tried to troubleshoot this by uninstalling portions of the sub-mods included with this package and the crashese still happen. Any ideas?

I'm quite enamored with White Tank Corpses, directional damage incurred arrows, and the multi-line Tank carousel in the hanger. The problem with the tank carousel is that it can only be enabled as part of XVM. Any ideas? For now I'm running the game without the mod pack. Thanks!

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
WoT 9.7 Modpack Issues.
I've been using the Odemmortis.com mod pack, which includes XVM for some time without issues. Since the update and installing the latest version of ODM, Wot has been crashing to destkop. I've tried to troubleshoot this by uninstalling portions of the sub-mods included with this package and the crashese still happen. Any ideas?

I'm quite enamored with White Tank Corpses, directional damage incurred arrows, and the multi-line Tank carousel in the hanger. The problem with the tank carousel is that it can only be enabled as part of XVM. Any ideas? For now I'm running the game without the mod pack. Thanks!

The issue was resolved the day after I posted this. Turns out that after the 9.7 update, I knew I had to update Odem Mortis. When I ran the update, it told me I was out of date and directed me to their web site. Went there and downloaded what I thought was the update, but it was the same version I had. Nothing on their download pages tells you what version the download is compatible with. So. It was the old version that was crashing the game. I also discovered that Facebook and the OM page is the place to go to get a timely update when new versions are released. It does not say that on their download page.

I've been bad. ;) Purchasing both the AMX CDC and AMX 1357. Both of these are good tanks. The CDC is outstanding, fast, fast firing, and great gun depression. The 1357, is like the needler, with its auto loader, if you surprise someone you can pen, you can shoot them to pieces in short order.

post-3890280-0-80740500-1419367585.jpg
CDC

hqdefault.jpg

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Huntn’s* Worthy Tank List
*WoT hack. :)

Numbers 145/135= Penetration/Damage
RPM= rounds per minute
L= Light
M= Medium
H= Heavy
TD= Tank Destroyer
SPG= Artillery
DERP= low penetration, high damage gun.

Tier 3
*PZ.1C (German L)- Wreak havoc in this highly mobile, with fast firing autoloader.
*T7 Combat Car (Russian L)- Wreak havoc in this highly mobile, with fast firing autoloader, 50 rounds!

Tier 4
*Pz.Kpfw. II Luchs (German L)- Highly mobile, fast firing autoloader.
*Hetzer (German TD)- Brutal T4 64/350 DERP gun.

Tier 5
*KV-1 (Russian H)- Brutal DERP in T5 Battle, effective 120/160 @12 rpm. Unfortunately you don’t what kind of battle in advance. :p
*M4 Sherman- (US M)- Brutal T5 53/410 DERP gun.
*AMX ELC bis (French L)- Highly mobile, with a lethal T5 170/240 @5 rpm gun.
*Pz.Sfl. iVC (German TD)- Known as the Toaster, effective 194/240 @8 rpm.
*Grille (German SPG)- Fast firing for an arty 2.55 rpm and accurate.

Tier 6
*TOGII (British H)- Killer in Tier 6 match.
*T-150 (Russian H)- better than the KV85. Slightly better armor, plus 167/300 @ 6 rpm, vs KV-85 175/390 @ 3rpm.
*KV2 (Russian H)- Brutal derp, 110/700 for a T6.
*T-34-85 (Russian M)- macho medium with killer gun. 144/180, 10rpm.
*Cromwell (British M)- highly effective and mobile medium. 145/135 @15rpm.
*AMX 12t- (French L)Highly mobile, fast firing autoloader gun.
*SU-100 (Russian TD)- Killer TD at Tier 6 175/390 @4.7rpm.
*SU-100Y (Russian TD)- Even more of a killer 196/440 @4rpm although a slower reload than the SU-100.
*AT8 (British TD)- Highly armored, slow, with frontal armor of 203, hard for Tier 6 tanks to overcome unless they can flank you.
*FV304 (German SPG)- fast firing and mobile arty with high shell arc to get people behind rocks.

Tier 7
*T29 (US H)- One of be beast heavies when hull down with 279 turret armor. 198/320 @5rpm gun.
*IS2 (Russian H)- mobile and lethal. 175/390 @5 rpm.
*KV-13 (Russian M)- macho medium.
*M41Walker Bulldog (US L)- Highly mobile, fast firing autoloader gun, 175/150 every 4 sec, or every 2 sec with autoloader.
*AMX 13 75- French L)Highly mobile, fast firing autoloader, 144/135.
*T71 (US L)- Highly mobile, fast firing autoloader 175/150.
*SU-152 (Russian TD)- Awesome T7 DERP 135/700 gun.
*Lorraine 155 mle.50 (French SPG)- Sweet spot for arty, accurate with a 2 rpm.

Tier 8
*IS3 (Russian H)- Possibly the most effective T8 heavy, mobile with lethal 225/390 @5rpm gun.
*T32- Feared US Workhorse.
*KV-4 (Russian H)- A brute.
*T-34-2 (Chinese M)- Reminds me of a Type 59 which I don't have and can't buy.
*Rhm.-Borsig Waffentrager (German TD)- Killer Gun.

Premiums
*Lowe (German T8-H)- Heavy premium workhorse.
*T34 (U.S. T8-H)- Heavy premium workhorse.
*AMX Chasseur de chars- (French T8-M), mobile, fast firing, huge gun depression.
*Type59 (Chinese T8-M)- I lust for this tank, but it’s no longer for sale.
*E25- (German T8-TD0, mobile fast firing. 150/135 @20rpm.
*Ram II- (US T5-M), lethal fast firing gun. 2.3 second reload.
*AMX 13 57- (French T7-L), Absolutely lethal, highly mobile, extremely fast firing gun, 143/90 with 1 sec reload, 8 shells in magazine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.