Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
For this just to be a "recompile in Visual Studio" deal, they'd need to provide a complete suite of iOS APIs, libraries/frameworks and hardware abstraction.

I very much doubt they've done that; mostly because they haven't even done it for their OWN platforms yet. Hell, even .NET Core is mono-based currently, and porting that to Linux and OS X is a fraction of the work needed to provide substitute libraries (or translation) for the entire of iOS.

Yes, you can build a Windows 10 Universal application now, but it's not like you can just take an existing Windows 8.x app and recompile that and have it magically operate properly under Windows 10 as a universal app.

Can't imagine this being more than being able to re-use objective-C code that doesn't use the platform's native libraries etc.

There is a relatively small startup called "App Portable" which has done this. They have converted the majority of Core Foundation to work for android. I think they have everything except Core Data.
So you can recompile iOS apps for Android platforms.

I see no reason why Microsoft with their almost infinite amounts of resources could not do the same.

Also remember Apple has made Core Foundation open source, so porting isn't impossible.

Edit: I also think that Swift will also work with this. Swift compiles to native code using the same OBJ-C Core libraries.

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
Having downloaded it already for a quick look, this appears to be targeted at web developers, and IDEs such as Sublime Text, Webstorm, and Atom.

Y14LE5u.png

devsfan1830

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2011
VA
Agreed, the closer to Bare Metal, the better.

----------

I certainly hope so, the main thing would be to start making phones with intel cpus, or else we'll only be able to run arm apps on our phones in dektop mode.

Maybe we'll see some baytrail, or atom powered phones from Microsoft.

I think DX 12 expections need to be kept in check. DX 12 will not magically boost performance in existing DX 9-11 games. Games coded for those APIs are limited by those APIs. The performance gains in DX12 amount more to better performance for developers. They can do more with a DX12 based engine than on DX9-11 with the same hardware. Any API benchmarks are comparing between demos based on each API. So it shows performance gains between APIs. But If you took a single game on the same hardware, and ran one in Windows 8.1 and again in Windows 10, you would see little to no difference. Any minor variances would be attributable to the different OS'es. More so now since Windows 10 is still in preview and graphics drivers are alpha at best.

Pastormac1usa

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2012
NJ
Time For The Red Box?

Time to step it up Apple. The stage is yours at WWDC.
Remember in the Classic-->OS X transition we had Yellow Box for NextStep/Cocoa, Blue Box for OS 9/Carbon, and wasn't there a rumored Red Box for Windows compatibility (at least in NextStep)? Never publicly acknowledged, mind you, but I think it's quite time enough that Apple either acquire Parallels or work a new Rosetta framework for Win 10 compatability that's seamless and transparent. If Mr Nadella is being the anti-Ballmer, then Apple and MS are likely in the early stages of a new alliance contra Google. If it means pitching Pages, Numbers, etc for a universal binary of Office, that seems like a fair deal. Right now, Apple needs major league help w/ iCloud and yet to be seen if IBM will provide that help. Co-developing Office means getting the infrastructure right and MS looks like a good candidate. If RXC is right, IBM is on a lifeline and MS won't be the gorilla it was in the 90s.

Pilgrim1099

Suspended
Apr 30, 2008
From the Midwest to the Northeast
I think Apple is far ahead of MS in terms of innovation and product releases. MS is still far in the hole and playing catchup. They are definitely a step in the right direction however but they are no threat to Apple whatsoever.

Are you smoking crack? Have you been paying attention to the huge jump MS just made over Apple? If you *THINK* Apple is far ahead of MS, where IS their answer to the Microsoft Surface Pro? Where was that?

No, they had to bump up specs without releasing a Pro version of that.

MS just brought out HoloLens technology to the forefront. Where was Apple's answer to that? None. What MS is doing with HoloLens is sick stuff. Augmented and Virtual Reality technology IS the thing now.

But no. Apple had to go play with their new watches that are NOT life changing at all as Tim likes to emphasize. For instance, a DJay app on the watch?

Apple is NOT far ahead of MS. Not one bit. They got lazy/complacent and you know it. You forget that this is NOT the Steve Ballmer era anymore.

Tim IS the problem.

wilhoitm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Remember in the Classic-->OS X transition we had Yellow Box for NextStep/Cocoa, Blue Box for OS 9/Carbon, and wasn't there a rumored Red Box for Windows compatibility (at least in NextStep)? Never publicly acknowledged, mind you, but I think it's quite time enough that Apple either acquire Parallels or work a new Rosetta framework for Win 10 compatability that's seamless and transparent. If Mr Nadella is being the anti-Ballmer, then Apple and MS are likely in the early stages of a new alliance contra Google. If it means pitching Pages, Numbers, etc for a universal binary of Office, that seems like a fair deal. Right now, Apple needs major league help w/ iCloud and yet to be seen if IBM will provide that help. Co-developing Office means getting the infrastructure right and MS looks like a good candidate. If RXC is right, IBM is on a lifeline and MS won't be the gorilla it was in the 90s.

If I write one line of Objective - C code on Windows 10 I think it would make my head hurt and hurt really really bad! :p

Is the Microsoft Visual Studio IDE that uses Objective - C available yet?

Does it use UIKit for the GUI? :eek:

I don't really want to go on Microsoft's development site if you know what I mean! LOL! :rolleyes:

If I was a C# or F# developer I would be pissed! :( Thank God I am not! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.