Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
Okay, so I'm in the process of doing this, but how do I reinitalize the drive in Disk Utility? Is that simply the process of unmounting the Macintosh HD and then mounting it again?

Nope. I can't find a reinitalize button in the utility myself, but reformatting the drive should do the trick.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Okay, so I'm in the process of doing this, but how do I reinitalize the drive in Disk Utility? Is that simply the process of unmounting the Macintosh HD and then mounting it again?
No, unmounting is not what you need to do. Reinitalizing means deleting the partition and creating a new one.
On the left pane in Disk Utility, you will see the Physical drive above and the volume (partition) below that.
Select the drive, and then Partition on the right pane.
!! Re-partitioning the drive will erase all your data !! :eek: But in your case that is OK, so choose one partition and let DU do its work.
By default, DU uses the GUID format for Intel-based Macs, you can check that is "Options". Hope that helps, after using DU a few times, it will be much easier, it really isn't so hard at all. :cool:

Apple!Fre@k

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2006
"I don't get the feeling that my HDD is dying. Seems more like there is corruptions and that sort of thing in the software itself that needs to be sorted, right?"

My advice will be a little different than other posters here.

First, if you do not have a bootable backup clone drive, it's time to get one made, RIGHT NOW.

DON'T use Time Machine. Use CarbonCopyCloner instead.

Do you have an external drive capable of holding the ENTIRE CONTENTS of your internal hard drive?

If not, time to get one, RIGHT NOW.

I would suggest you spend $28 and get one of these gadgets:
http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Dock...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B003UI62AG
One of the best computer purchases you'll ever make. Did I say only $28?

Then, get a 1tb "bare" HDD from the vendor of your choice.

Once you have this stuff, put the new drive into the dock and connect it to your Mac.

Turn it on. You will probably get the "this disk is unreadable" alert because it's not yet initialized. Use Disk Utility to initialize the new drive (and partition if necessary).

Next, use CarbonCopyCloner to "clone" the contents of your old drive to the new, docked drive. Of course, with a large amount of data, it's going to take a while.

When that task is complete, DO A TEST BOOT to be sure that the new cloned drive is bootable:
- Restart
- As soon as you hear the startup sound, hold down the option key and KEEP HOLDING IT DOWN
- In a few moments, the startup manager will appear
- Click on the docked drive to select it, then hit return
- The Mac should boot from the docked drive

When you get to the finder, take a few moments to check around. Go to "about this mac" and be sure you're booted from the docked drive (will look the same as your internal). Make sure all your stuff is there and where you want it to be.

At this point, you can again try Disk Utility (from the docked drive) and "aim it" at the internal drive. Try repairing again. Any better?

Did all of the above and this time the Disk Utility says that it was able to repair Macintosh HD successfully, while I was booted from the Carbon Copy Cloned hard drive.

So is that the end of the story? Is my Macintosh HD definitely all good now and I shouldn't have any more problems and I can delete the Carbon Copy Cloned hard drive? Or should I still take the step of erasing the internal hard drive, re-partitioning it, and then copying the Carbon Copy Cloned hard drive over to my internal drive?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Did all of the above and this time the Disk Utility says that it was able to repair Macintosh HD successfully, while I was booted from the Carbon Copy Cloned hard drive.

So is that the end of the story? Is my Macintosh HD definitely all good now and I shouldn't have any more problems and I can delete the Carbon Copy Cloned hard drive? Or should I still take the step of erasing the internal hard drive, re-partitioning it, and then copying the Carbon Copy Cloned hard drive over to my internal drive?

If you copy the CCC back to the HD it could corrupt your OS again although unlikely, the faults where in the directory, now that it is repaired it seems to be OK, work on the machine for a couple of days and monitor Smart status once or twice a day.
If all is well, leave it that way.

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
I agree with JustPerry, it should be okay hopefully.

Id recommend setting CCC to update your external clone once a week though, its good backup practice and can be invaluble in the event of hard drive problems

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I agree with JustPerry, it should be okay hopefully.

Id recommend setting CCC to update your external clone once a week though, its good backup practice and can be invaluble in the event of hard drive problems

I would set it up with two schedules, once every week or so on the whole HD and once a day or shorter for the home folder.
You can setup CCC to have multiple schedules.
Depends all on personal preferences though.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"So is that the end of the story? Is my Macintosh HD definitely all good now and I shouldn't have any more problems and I can delete the Carbon Copy Cloned hard drive?"

OK -- if (when booted from the cloned drive) Disk Utility says the internal drive has been repaired, chances are it's going to be OK.

Suggestion -- boot from the cloned drive again, and use DU to "repair" the drive two or three more times. Even if it reports "OK" the first time, repeat this a couple times more.

If everything looks good, I suggest that you just leave the internal drive "as it is" for now.

BUT -- DON'T erase the cloned drive. Let this become your BACKUP. As you can see, it's far better to have around than a Time Machine backup. In a "moment of need" (as you have just had), the cloned backup saved your bacon. YOU COULDN'T DO THAT WITH A T.M. BACKUP (shouting intentional). Do you see the value of keeping that backup clone around?

Just use CCC to do an "incremental" backup every few days. An incremental backup fine tunes the clone so that only the changes you've made on the main drive are updated on the clone.

It will prove VERY useful in the future….

macmannm1

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2015
DiskWarrior Rules

Man, thanks tons for advice for disk warrior, after my seagate goflex 3tb crashed, would not mount anymore, no disk in finder, etc., i contacted a disk recovery firm, but before i heard back from them i read your posting. And i'm copying files right now from my dead hard drive. Now of course i've lost at least 135 files, but out 100,000k plus file no biggie. All my financial files, doggie pix, family pix, taxes, scannned images, all everything, man thanks so much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.