Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Christian008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2015
Hi all,

I've recently purchased an 13 inch Macbook Pro Retina 2015 with the new Intel Iris 6100 GPU chip. It's a common problem among the new rMBP models that UI transitions in Yosemite "stutter" / are choppy. E.g. Mission Control, Switching Spaces, etc.

The problem got better with the latest OS X 10.10.4 Beta 2 Update - so it seems like it is a Software/GPU Driver problem and Apple is working on it. However, the UI is still not perfectly smooth - as I was used to it on my old Macbook Pro from 2011.

My question to owners of older generation 13inch Retina MBP:
Is your Yosemite UI perfectly smooth?

From what I've heard every model had UI lag problems when it came out - and Apple had to work in optimizing GPU drivers first. If the older generation rMBPs don't lag than I know the Intel Iris 6100 in my new rMBP is powerful enough to drive the Retina Display and the UI lag is a Software problem. Otherwise I know its a Hardware Problem (i.e. Intel Iris 6100 not powerful enough to handle the high retina resolution) and I can send the device back to Apple.

prism

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2006
Hi all,

I've recently purchased an 13 inch Macbook Pro Retina 2015 with the new Intel Iris 6100 GPU chip. It's a common problem among the new rMBP models that UI transitions in Yosemite "stutter" / are choppy. E.g. Mission Control, Switching Spaces, etc.

The problem got better with the latest OS X 10.10.4 Beta 2 Update - so it seems like it is a Software/GPU Driver problem and Apple is working on it. However, the UI is still not perfectly smooth - as I was used to it on my old Macbook Pro from 2011.

From what I've heard every model had UI lag problems when it came out - and Apple had to work in optimizing GPU drivers first. If the older generation rMBPs don't lag than I know the Intel Iris 6100 in my new rMBP is powerful enough to drive the Retina Display and the UI lag is a Software problem. Otherwise I know its a Hardware Problem (i.e. Intel Iris 6100 not powerful enough to handle the high retina resolution) and I can send the device back to Apple.

Recently sold my late 2013 13" rMBP, had the same interface lags/jitteriness. The replacement early 2015 13" rMBP is no different. Only when I activate contrast do things improve substantially and remains that way.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Hi all,

It's smooth for the most part (late-2013 13" i7/16/512) and I only experience frame drops when viewing really large PDFs (that's just Preview being Preview) or working with several files in Photoshop and opening Mission Control.

tech324

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
This isn't exactly what you are looking for but I wanted to mention my comparison of UIs. I have a 2015 13inch MBP with Yosemite and a 2013 13inch Macbook Air with Mavericks. Swapping between the two I can tell my 2013 MBA UI is so much smoother and has no lag. This is bad because my 2013 MBA should not be smoother than my 2015 MBP. I am really hoping its a driver or yosemite issue and that Apple will fix it.

snowman1

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2010
I have reduced transparency turned on for my 13" rMBP mid-2014, and the UI lag isn't so bad. Mission control still has a couple frame drops here and there, but it definitely isn't as bad as it was with reduced transparency turned OFF. The notification center, for example, is perfectly smooth with reduced transprency on, but is super laggy otherwise. (just a note: I run my rMBP at 1680x1050 most of the time so this might be why I am experiencing more UI lag without the reduced transparency setting)

locksmack

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2012
2014 13" rMBP 2.6/8/256 here - I have the UI lag issue too. I increased contrast (which reduces transparency too) and it made it 90% better, but not perfect. My old 2011 MBA was much smoother.

I've found that if you do mission control after a long period of not using it, it lags - but if you do it not long after the last time, it is much smoother. Odd.

ranho

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2015
I've just registered to say that I own a Broadwell and my girlfriend a Haswell. I don't see any lag in either of them. I saw a few videos in another thread and they show awful lag, but I have none.

Don't know if its a widespread problem or that only people that have it write on this forum. Just to let people know that some of us don't have the problem.

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.