Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oxband

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
My MBP typically runs between 55-65 Celsius. Is this OK? I don't know ideal temperatures. I have SMC FanControl to boost the fan. Should I just keep it running constantly for the good of the drive?

GrindedDown

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2009
Las Vegas
Yeah that should be just fine. On my 2008 MBPc 15", I use to run a lot of programs and noticed it getting too hot as well. So, I started paying attention to when I would really start having issues and when to activate SMC fan control.

I didn't notice any slowdown in performance or issues until it hit right at 80c. I also noticed with SMC that even with both fans turned up to 6000 RPMs, the temp would still hover between 55 and 65 depending, which was just fine.

So yeah, you're fine. MBP are notorious for warming up a little bit and it's understandable as to why. You shouldn't be damaging your computer in the slightest either or increasing general wear at those temps.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
My MBP typically runs between 55-65 Celsius. Is this OK? I don't know ideal temperatures. I have SMC FanControl to boost the fan. Should I just keep it running constantly for the good of the drive?

Your temps are perfectly normal. You do not need any fan control app at all, the machine is perfectly capable of taking care of itself.

In fact, I suggest you delete any monitoring app from your machine, all it'll do is lead to OCD-ness with your machine that will take away from your enjoying it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.