Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beliblis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2011
Hi,

I've got a problem with my MacMini. Since a few days it doesn't properly recognise my external display (NEC 2690WUXi2) any more:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1878080/

So I'm considering using the MacMini's HDMI output as an alternative.

My display only has VGA and DVI-in. So before I go and buy a HDMI-to-DVI cable I've got a few important questions:
In terms of colour accuracy and calibration: will I be able to achieve the same consistent results with the HDMI-out as I with the Thunderbolt/Mini-DVI-out?(Adobe RGB, hardware-calibrated screen). Will the resolution be the same (1920x1200)?
Are there any other potential downsides, or is HDMI really just as good as DVI out?

Thanks for your help!

for this

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2014
In terms of colour accuracy and calibration: will I be able to achieve the same consistent results with the HDMI-out as I with the Thunderbolt/Mini-DVI-out?(Adobe RGB, hardware-calibrated screen)...

Does comparing between HDMI to DVI and direct DVI count?

I've used a monitor (DVI Cinema Display) with several Macs (with different GPUs) using direct DVI connections and a HDMI to DVI adapter. I've found the color on the digital monitor is the same, regardless of the type of connection and the computer it connects to. In digital, color data is just carried out without modification unlike analog such as VGA. I can just calibrate once and share the monitor profile across all systems that use that monitor. So I think HDMI should be fine for you.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.