Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heljar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2015
I've recently gotten an intern job at an advertising company. My boss wants to use a MacBook Pro as an on-site monitor when he's out shooting films with his Sony NEX-FS700 videocamera. I tried using the HDMI-port on the MacBook but soon found out it was an output and couldn't be used. I've searched some on the internet, but the only way to use the HDMI is to invest in expensive extra gear. The LCD-display on the camera is too small. We do have an extra monitor from Sony called CLM-V55 but it's a bit small too. What we really want is to take the MacBook Pro with us on shoots, hook it up to the camera one way or another and get a live view from the camera on the display on the MacBook. That way it's easier to check if the lighting is fine or if the focus on the camera is set correctly. What is the best way to achieve this? Do we need to invest in any extra cables/software/hardware? We do have Adobe Premiere available, any extra functions on this program we can use?
I thought that this would be easy enough, but I can't really find anything to help me.

Last edited:

RCAFBrat

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2013
Montreal, QC
I think you picked a fine place to ask your question.

I have no personal experience with it, but I believe something like Blackmagic Intensity Extreme would be perfect, assuming there is a suitable app for simply monitoring the video feed:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/intensity

I'm sure others in this forum can comment on its suitability / offer other solutions.

Cheers

boch82

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
Blackmagic also make the UltraStudio Mini Recorder. You can view the video steam in an NLE or the included Media Express software, or ScopeBox if you want something purpose-built for monitoring with scopes, focus assist, zebras, etc.

Everything really will depend on your workflow....

The main thing you need to determine is the software you want to use to monitor. We use Premiere for most of our post work. When there is a quick turn around we have a field producer log and preview all the footage through a live capture into prelude. The files move seamlessly to premiere.

Depending on how you move forward, if you dont care to capture the media, and only view it, you can pick up a HDMI to Thunderbolt box and use any software you would like. If you need time code and other tools for notes, you need to read up more. I like the matrox products personally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.