Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Hotmail Connector is actually an EAS client.
Ah, yes, forgot that. So long ago, 2010...

I don't consider it an EAS client - rather, a "patch" - since it's 32-bit only and me and my company have been 64-bit on Windows for, oh, 10-13 years... ;)

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Since MS recently also released a preview version for Office 2016 for Windows, I'm wondering if someone has compared it to the Office for Mac 2016 preview. I would especially interested to know in how far the versions have comparable feature sets.

So far, I got the impression that Office Mac 2016 is not even completely on par with Office 2013 for Windows, and since it seems that the upcoming Windows version got a couple of new features, I'd suspect that the new Mac version is still years behind.

yansun

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2010
Anyone else noticed that inserting tables with many columns and rows into a word document will slow it down considerably? I opened the same document in Word 2011 and there it is very very smooth.

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2010
canada
Just downloaded the preview on my MacBook Pro. I wonder what MS will charge for this full suite when they release the final version later in the year.

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
Just downloaded the preview on my MacBook Pro. I wonder what MS will charge for this full suite when they release the final version later in the year.

Well, you can get 5 Office 365 licences for about £1 per month each!

danielsutton

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2011
iWork is just a giant stick that Apple uses to smack Microsoft whenever they feel the version of Office available for iOS or OS X is less than it should be. Apple doesn't actually want to make productivity software - they just want to make sure that what their users can install is as good as what their users could get on any other OS. So when Microsoft slouches on iOS or OS X, Apple releases an update to iWork so that Microsoft feels the pain when people stop using Office. Apple maximizes that pain by offering iWork for cheap or free.

Without iWork, Microsoft would feel content to let OS X have a decade old version of Office with numerous features missing and a ridiculous price. Without iWork, Microsoft has no incentive to offer better.

You are right that Microsoft feels the heat when Apple releases a new version of iWork, and then improves Office afterward. However, I believe that instead of smacking Microsoft around and then waiting for Office to improve, Apple should (without trying to displace Office), improve its own suite (iWork) and make it as compatible with Office formats as possible. This way, Apple can make sure that they are not behind anyone in terms of featuresets. Also, Apple should really develop OS X Server into an enterprise product, adding iWork management features to the mix, so the suite can be suitably used in enterprise settings. Apple is no longer an oddball company, they are a mainstream technology behemoth, and they can act like one too :)

----------

It's easier to build something from the ground up, and recreate the best features, than frankenstein in with the old build and paste in a new UX and having it run inefficiently (e.g. MS Office 2016).

Same situation for Final Cut Pro X and Logic Pro X.

I agree. Patience runs thin, though :(

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I am a serious office 365 subscription user. My plan is the near top enterprise e3 plan.
I really think office 2011 for Mac lacks too many features compared with office 2013. Now, this version can finally do some decent job. And more important, this preview can finally open document stored in my office 365 account, without doing anything much.
Until now, except update issue, I didn't encounter any serious issue preventing me from using this preview. But word performance is still poor, especially when opening files with many tables/figures.
Since I will keep using subscription until the day I may not be able to use it, I don't mind how much Microsoft will charge on standalone product.

whbunn

macrumors member
May 29, 2009
I have many Excel spreadsheets that use web queries to get stock quotes, other external data. They do NOT work with Excel 2016. And you must still enable network query every time like in 2011. Very annoying.

Len Banks

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2015
I have been using the beta and it is a nice program EXCEPT it doesn't support/import older page layout files well and since they have not created a Publisher equivalent for the Mac we are now left even further out of the MS Office world.

elsa41

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2015
i wish microsoft improved OneNote for Mac, would like to see more functionality and features that are available on the PC version.
They have done this. i played with it last night and there are lots of features for OneNote:)

elsa41

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2015
Since MS recently also released a preview version for Office 2016 for Windows, I'm wondering if someone has compared it to the Office for Mac 2016 preview. I would especially interested to know in how far the versions have comparable feature sets.

So far, I got the impression that Office Mac 2016 is not even completely on par with Office 2013 for Windows, and since it seems that the upcoming Windows version got a couple of new features, I'd suspect that the new Mac version is still years behind.
This is not true. I played with the suite last night and it has all the features.

flipshot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2007
Hertfordshire, UK
This is not true. I played with the suite last night and it has all the features.

No it doesn't, there is no Office 365 Groups functionality that is in Outlook 2016 preview on Windows. Outlook doesn't connect to Outlook.com accounts like it can on Windows - even in 2013. Word can't open and edit PDF files. These are just a few of a very long list of features that are missing in the Mac office that are in the Windows office.

wgnoyes

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
So here's the question: do I have to uninstall Office 2011 before installing 2016, or can they co-exist?

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Simple way to check that: can you customise the ribbons in Office Mac 2016? If not, than it does not have all the features of Office 2013 for Windows.

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
I'm using Office 2008 and I only use Word and Excel. Don't have the need for the Powerpoint, Outlook, etc. Can you just download on the software you need or do you have to get the whole deal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.