Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

azntaiji

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2014
They did a great job with the teardown. Watch is definitely something I would never want to fix.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Neat.... Good work....

(FYI. I give u guys too much credit), I need to do something about that.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
Nice!

Now I know how to fix those skillet mishaps!
Apple%20Watch%20Frownie%20Face_zpsfayupv4b.jpg

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
Do people really try to fix these sort of things these days? Years ago people fixed their cars when they broke down, not much any more.
Teenagers around here know enough to put fuel in their cars but that's about it. They don't have a clue what's under the bonnet/hood.
Attempt to fix any of my Apple products, you have got to be joking!

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Do people really try to fix these sort of things these days? Years ago people fixed their cars when they broke down, not much any more.
Teenagers around here know enough to put fuel in their cars but that's about it. They don't have a clue what's under the bonnet/hood.
I replaced the battery in my 3GS and it got another year out of it...

That's when I made the switch between being on the S cycle and the X+1 cycle.

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
Still on the fence about the watch. Think I'll wait a while and see what the overall feedback is on MR. Will not buy one online so have plenty of time to mull my options waiting for the retail stores to get stock in. May even lose interest by then, has been known!

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
A sapphire screen Apple Watch fell from about 3 feet at the Apple Store here in Utah the other day and shattered like a wine glass. Scratch resistant, but far from shatter proof.

Oh, yeah, anecdote... Until I see the video and the measuring equipment I'm skeptical...

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
You are aware, that the saphire glass breaks more easily than the ion x glass? ;)

My watch is now 14 years old. The sapphire glass doesn't have a scratch, and I don't take that watch off for anything (except at night and in the shower). Don't try to spread fear, uncertainty and doubt (known as FUD).

A sapphire screen Apple Watch fell from about 3 feet at the Apple Store here in Utah the other day and shattered like a wine glass. Scratch resistant, but far from shatter proof.

Combined with the above, seems I must be a mental genius compared to some people.

Bot4Hire

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2015

I fix my car, my wife's car & my oldest kids car.
I fix everyone's computers & tablets.

YouTube is amazing. You can literally fix almost all home mishaps.

"They don't have a clue what's under the bonnet/hood.". But YouTube does.

It's actually fun.

kahkityoong

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Still on the fence about the watch. Think I'll wait a while and see what the overall feedback is on MR. Will not buy one online so have plenty of time to mull my options waiting for the retail stores to get stock in. May even lose interest by then, has been known!

Who cares which side of the fence you're on? Totally irrelevant to the topic thread.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
My watch is now 14 years old. The sapphire glass doesn't have a scratch, and I don't take that watch off for anything (except at night and in the shower). Don't try to spread fear, uncertainty and doubt (known as FUD).

Not sure what you see as FUD in that quote. It's a fact. Sapphire is more scratch resistant because of it's hardness. That hardness and it's crystalline structure is also the reason it's more shatter prone than Io- Gorilla Glass (I refuse to add another stupid made up Apple term to my lexicon). That's why Apple has been working on a new synthetic sapphire that maintains it hardness while improving it's shatter resistance and reflectance.

Sratch resistance and shatter resistance aren't synonymous.

Last edited:

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Am I the only one who thinks this product is ludicrous?

You'll think different™ once you wear one for a day.

----------

Actually, he's correct. Ion-X glass is more resilient in terms of impacts and bending. Sapphire is more durable in terms of scratch resistance.

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
Apple care > DIY.

4 years down the road may be another matter- but who won't upgrade at that point?

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
I fix my car, my wife's car & my oldest kids car.
I fix everyone's computers & tablets.

YouTube is amazing. You can literally fix almost all home mishaps.

"They don't have a clue what's under the bonnet/hood.". But YouTube does.

It's actually fun.

And satisfying to know that I saved an $800 device, or $200 at the mechanic to replace a water pump, or a damaged part.

----------

Combined with the above, seems I must be a mental genius compared to some people.

There may be a disjoint here.

The :apple:Watch sapphire is on the face and forms the whole front of the face of the watch and , where a lot of the other watches have the side of the watch holding the sapphire and provide protection, so that may be why your watch has lasted 14 years, and the ill fated :apple: watch in Utah shattered.

I guess I'm saying that you both can be correct on this one.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003

A Swatch Autoquartz of mine fell off a table with some added horizontal speed and something in its internals broke. Admittedly, these watches having moving parts inside, the flywheel-like automatic winding mechanism and the actual watch arms including the gears and motors moving them. But a lot of stuff breaks when you drop it on a hard surface.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany

Yes I can and do fix everything I own.

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
Wouldn't dare touch this stuff myself. Don't mind the hefty cost of getting things repaired, rather that then breaking something completely.

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
iFixit says it is easy to change the battery of the Apple Watch, I don't see the procedure anywhere near "easy"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.