Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benzy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
OK guys, I'm **** out of luck and this has got to be the weirdest thing I've ever encountered on an :apple: product.

Last night I caught in the thunderstorm, I was soaked and my iPhone 6 plus got considerably wet (not as bad as I thought thanks to the case).

When I got home I had it dried and everything seemed to work fine until I tried to ask Siri a question and she couldn't hear a thing I said.

Initially I thought there's water in the 2 microphones (1 near the earphone jack and 1 next to the camera lens) but after playing around with my iPhone for nearly an hour, I found the following:

• Voice message (in iMessage) and Siri can't hear me no matter how hard I yell at the microphones.
  • Voice memo app and video recording hear me just fine.
  • Making phone calls has no problems what so ever, people on the other side can hear me loud and clear.
  • Siri can hear me via the earpod microphone.

Now I'm really confused :confused:

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
You need to try dictation and see what happens. Just because everything sounds OK, doesn't mean it actually is, especially when you're talking down a phone and people are used to a little lack of clarity. I would listen to a voice memo with your earphones and see if it's a little muffled or not or you hear something other than your voice.

Benzy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
You need to try dictation and see what happens. I would listen to a voice memo with your earphones and see if it's a little muffled or not or you hear something other than your voice.

I have tried both dictation and video record, my voice is clearly as day, but when I talk to siri or try to send a voice message in iMessage, my phone cant hear me at all, zilch, nothing, nada

Last edited:

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
If resetting Siri by turning the feature off and on does not help then perhaps seek help from your most local  store via a Genius Bar Appointment.

Benzy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
If resetting Siri by turning the feature off and on does not help then perhaps seek help from your most local  store via a Genius Bar Appointment.

yeah already made an appointment since no one can help

:apple:, things just work...

1984world

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2008
Try checking the headphone port to make sure nothing is inside of it (lint, etc.). Sometimes things get into it, and if it got wet, can jam tighter. Be careful! After that, try getting a clean headphone set (use a safe cleaner to clean the metal portion that gets inserted inside the phone) and slowly put it in and out several times. With it in, reboot the phone. Then in and out a few times.

I had the same issue (though phone didn't get wet) and followed the above instructions I found on another forum, and it started working again.

Worth a try.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
yeah already made an appointment since no one can help

:apple:, things just work...

No One will be able to help you on a forum with water damage.
That's what happens when electronics get wet. They corrode and malfunction as you can see.
What kind of help do you expect to get online?
Get it repaired or replaced by Apple. Its not something that you can fix with software.

Benzy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
No One will be able to help you on a forum with water damage.
That's what happens when electronics get wet. They corrode and malfunction as you can see.
What kind of help do you expect to get online?
Get it repaired or replaced by Apple. Its not something that you can fix with software.

yeah but then why do the 2 microphones hear me loud and clear in everything BUT siri?

EllanaC

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2015
I find that if I blow on my earphones jack it should work again, if not speak to the guys at Apple.

a.guillermo

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2015
Yeah, water damage is one of those things that is really device specific. I would probably go to the store and have them take a look at it. I don't think that a physical thing would affect software. But I could be wrong. Hopefully you get this figured out!! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.