Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kasperhz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2015
Hi.
I'm soon going to install a multible speaker system where I can control each speaker in different rooms using Apple Airplay.

My question is: If I'm buying speakers that are all compatible with Apple Airplay, will I need to do anything else but connecting them to the same wireless network as my iMac - and will I be able to see the icon in the top of the screen letting me control multiple speakers without having an Airport Express?

I'm confused, and I don't seem to get any useful help when calling shops and supports as they all seem to be thinking business instead of support.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
Hi.
I'm soon going to install a multible speaker system where I can control each speaker in different rooms using Apple Airplay.

My question is: If I'm buying speakers that are all compatible with Apple Airplay, will I need to do anything else but connecting them to the same wireless network as my iMac - and will I be able to see the icon in the top of the screen letting me control multiple speakers without having an Airport Express?

I'm confused, and I don't seem to get any useful help when calling shops and supports as they all seem to be thinking business instead of support.

You are correct in your assumptions. As long as they are all connected to the same network you will be able to stream to multiple speakers. A caveat, you can stream to multiple speakers from iTunes running on a computer (Mac or Windows) but Apple TV and iOS devices can only stream to one AirPlay receiver at a time. And if you use the Remote App to control iTunes on the computer, you can also select multiple destinations as well as control playback.

kasperhz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2015
Thanks a lot. So, basically I will have to use Spotify to stream. Will I still be able to use the multispeaker-function them without any other equipment but my three Appe Airplay-compatible Speakers connected to the same internet connection?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
take a look at airfoil it lets you pick one program (or whole system audio) and stream it to multiple airplay devices at the same time.
Useful so the whole house doesn't hear your new mail sound on top of the music.

also be aware, there will be a slight delay (about 2 seconds), apple hides this by delaying the interface on your computer to match the remote audio. Your speakers will all be in sync with each other, but if you hit pause, it'll take 2 seconds to stop the music.

you will still need a streaming source running on your network (so your computer), unlike sonos which has a player built into the speakers/hub.

an airport express is not needed, it's just another option for an output.
any brand router will work, you don't need an airport of any kind.
as long as you have a network connection (wired or wireless) to the speakers you are good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.