Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

framal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2015
Dear All,

Running a macbook pro, Yosemite, connected to a ADSL router.
Can't connect to the internet through cat5 ethernet cable, cable length is 330 foot. However with a short cable, 3 foot, there's no problem connecting to the internet in the same setup.
Tips please....thanks in advance

Have already tried signing in with a static ip adress. Same problem, long cable no connection, short cables makes connection to the internet.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Dear All,

Running a macbook pro, Yosemite, connected to a ADSL router.
Can't connect to the internet through cat5 ethernet cable, cable length is 330 foot.

You need a shorter cable or a repeater or intermediary switch; 100m is the absolute maximum, and that isn't quite 330 feet. You'd need a perfect cable to get that sort of length to work.

framal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2015
And perfect equipment at the ends. A lot of switches and hubs degrade over time and the signal strength starts to go.

The strange thing is that a windows desktop has no problem connecting through the 330 foot long ethernet cable in the same setup.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
The strange thing is that a windows desktop has no problem connecting through the 330 foot long ethernet cable in the same setup.

That's just luck. Those manufacturing tolerances happen to allow it to work. I would bet you're getting nowhere close to full speed through that cable.

framal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2015
That's just luck. Those manufacturing tolerances happen to allow it to work. I would bet you're getting nowhere close to full speed through that cable.

So best thing to do would be to put a "repeater" at 50 meters?
I've tried before hooking up a second router behind the first router, this also not possible with a cable length of 100 meters, it is possible though with a 20 meter long cable.

framal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2015
Thanks for your advice.
I've put an extra router as a switch in between and cut the cable up in two lengths, now it works.:)

goldberg

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2015
330 foot ethernet cable, no connection

Are you using solid-core ethernet cable rather than stranded (patch) cable ?
Is the cable CAT5e or CAT6 rated ?

Not all ethernet cables are created equal. The cheaper sort have the conductor made from aluminium coated with copper, and do not perform as well as solid copper.

For this length of run it's advisable to use solid copper-core CAT5E or CAT6 for most of the run, with an RJ45 breakout (patch-panel or wall-mount box) at each end. Then, short (< 5 metre) CAT5E or CAT6 patch cables to connect to the equipment.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
It sounds as though you've solved your problem. But when you wrote "cut up" it made me wonder whether you've made the cable (attached the plugs) yourself?

If so, you might experiment with commercially-made cables. I say this because, a few years ago, I was running some timing equipment that required ethernet connections (to switches and then to Windows computers) and I was making long cables myself, using a standard crimper and plugs. I never had any problems with the shorter cables, but the longer ones didn't always work. I was told that with cables near the length limit, the wire length and spacing of the wires I crimped were critical -- and if not just right, the cable wouldn't work. At that point I started buying my very long cables instead of making them myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.