Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

njb2808

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2015
Hi,

I have a Mac Mini, early 2010, running Snow Leopard with all updates installed.
I have a strange problem which I haven't found exactly reproduced anywhere else, hence this post.
Generally, it runs well, but it sometimes gets into a cycle of doing the following: when I switch on in the morning, it stalls on the boot screen with the Apple logo and the wheel spinning - it just stays like this until I power it off by pressing and holding the power switch. When I start it again, it boots normally.
It has just started doing this again: I haven't added any new peripherals, or applied any updates. Onyx told me that the start-up disk needed repairing, so I ran Disk Repair and it reported it had corrected the fault. The same pattern showed itself again afterwards though. I've run the hardware test, which says everything is OK; I've tried unplugging all the peripherals and plugging them back in one by one - there is a flaw to this, though, which is that the fault always fixes itself on second boot, so not sure how useful this has been.
I only have Dropbox and ClamXav sentry in Login items.
Anyone have any ideas about this?
Thanks in anticipation

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Hi,

I have a Mac Mini, early 2010, running Snow Leopard with all updates installed.
I have a strange problem which I haven't found exactly reproduced anywhere else, hence this post.
Generally, it runs well, but it sometimes gets into a cycle of doing the following: when I switch on in the morning, it stalls on the boot screen with the Apple logo and the wheel spinning - it just stays like this until I power it off by pressing and holding the power switch. When I start it again, it boots normally.
It has just started doing this again: I haven't added any new peripherals, or applied any updates. Onyx told me that the start-up disk needed repairing, so I ran Disk Repair and it reported it had corrected the fault. The same pattern showed itself again afterwards though. I've run the hardware test, which says everything is OK; I've tried unplugging all the peripherals and plugging them back in one by one - there is a flaw to this, though, which is that the fault always fixes itself on second boot, so not sure how useful this has been.
I only have Dropbox and ClamXav sentry in Login items.
Anyone have any ideas about this?
Thanks in anticipation

Try repairing permissions on Disk Utility. I used to get beach balls when resuming from sleep after installing a SSD on my Mini.

njb2808

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2015
Thanks for the reply. I've tried that and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Could it be a symptom of bad blocks on the hard drive?

The spinning beach balls might indicate repeated attempts by the OS to access portions of the drive that are damaged.

My suggestion:
1. Clone the contents of the internal drive to an external drive.
2. Boot from the external clone.
3. Re-initialize and test the internal drive.
4. If it tests out ok, "RE-clone" the external drive back to the internal drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.