Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BobRichards

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
I want to use the NHL gamecenter app to stream games on my iphone, but the best version is android only.

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
I want to use the NHL gamecenter app to stream games on my iphone, but the best version is android only.

Go directly to jail. Do not pass "Go". Do not collect $200....

Maybe there should be a "common sense" test that people should have to pass before they are given the privilege to post here.

S-

theaero

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2008
There are many ways to run .exes in osx. Also, you can run android on an iPhone. So I don't see why an emulator for android apps is THAT farfetched.

Shaddow825

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2006
Yea, I would think someone would have to port the Dalvik Java VM over to the iphone as most (if not all) Android apps are just Java running inside that VM. The OS is open source and runs on the exact same ARM processors, I have always kinda wondered why there isnt a port of Dalvik to the iphone by now.

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
There are many ways to run .exes in osx. Also, you can run android on an iPhone. So I don't see why an emulator for android apps is THAT farfetched.
Let's all put our thinking caps on....

If he was running the Android OS on his iPhone, he would have just downloaded the app and not asked the question.

Just because Mac OS X can run a Virtual Machine does not me the processor in the iPhone can. At this point in time, an emulator for Android apps IS that far fetched.

S-

theaero

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2008
It wouldn't need to. It could be done "natively" so to speak, with out a VM. Many of the different iPhone hardware pieces have had their drivers reverse engineered and ported to the Android OS. There are also a few android phones that run similar or nearly identical processors as the iPhone iirc. I could see it happening if someone with the skill were to dedicate enough time to doing it.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
It's actually not too far fetched to create a WINE like environment for basic Android apps on iOS. We've already seen proof of concept demos of Android being compiled to run (albeit poorly) on older iPhone hardware. This would be a time consuming project that will probably never happen, but what is preventing such a project is not a technical restriction. Android is open source and the code was written for ARM processors nearly identical to the A4 and the iPhone 4 has enough RAM to load the required API's. Performance should be fine for most apps since the code would essentially run native on the CPU. Mind that is would probably on work with simple apps to don't interact with Android system features.
Now the problem... There just isn't much reason to spend the effort making this happen. Both platforms already support a highly similar apps application catalogs, with the edge already being in favor of iOS. The most useful Android only apps integrate tightly with the OS and would therefore be far more difficult to make work.
BTW - The reverse would be far more difficult. Since iOS is not an open source project, it would be far more difficult to get iOS apps running under Android and it would have legal issue to boot.

Ionicscythe

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2015
Let's all put our thinking caps on....

Just because Mac OS X can run a Virtual Machine does not me the processor in the iPhone can. At this point in time, an emulator for Android apps IS that far fetched.

S-
You didn't put your cap on m8 because dalvik is on iPad look up AlienDalvik2.0 for iPad, it's only for OEC so they advertise what you can't get no matter what like you can get it but it proves it's possible if someone who isn't a company asswipe does it and let's others have it

1984world

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2008
I think that this is a perfectly logical question. If Blackberry can instal Android apps, and if emulators can be used on iphone for various nintendo games, etc. it doesn't seem that far fetched. Just needs someone to be interested, smart enough, and lucky enough to find a way. There is always a way to do things differently.

highEQrabbit

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2015
Go directly to jail. Do not pass "Go". Do not collect $200....

Maybe there should be a "common sense" test that people should have to pass before they are given the privilege to post here.

S-

Ok, put it like this: I like to pride myself on my common sense and high IQ (though not my command of spelling thanks to dyslexia) but I came looking for a way to use an app avaliable only on android on my iPhone. An android emulator is not that far fetched in fact there is one in existence known as manymo but you need to pay a monthly fee to use it and I refuse. I'm hoping for a free option. As well as that, there are iOS emulators for android, why not the other way around? Please stop belittling people's intelligence for asking honest questions of curiousity. Few people are ITs and even those that are may have questions about that. Also, don't mention common sense as that's that the rain falls down and if you write a rough draft with pencil you won't make as many mistakes with the final. Not to mention the strange things that show up all the time in technology. Please do not be so judgemental...

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Ok, put it like this: I like to pride myself on my common sense and high IQ (though not my command of spelling thanks to dyslexia) but I came looking for a way to use an app avaliable only on android on my iPhone. An android emulator is not that far fetched in fact there is one in existence known as manymo but you need to pay a monthly fee to use it and I refuse. I'm hoping for a free option. As well as that, there are iOS emulators for android, why not the other way around? Please stop belittling people's intelligence for asking honest questions of curiousity. Few people are ITs and even those that are may have questions about that. Also, don't mention common sense as that's that the rain falls down and if you write a rough draft with pencil you won't make as many mistakes with the final. Not to mention the strange things that show up all the time in technology. Please do not be so judgemental...

In my opinion, I think iOS emulators isn't a reality because unlike android, which is open source, iOS is closed source

I'd imagine the amount of effort needed to develop an iOS emulator is much greater than developing an android emulator

1984world

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2008
It's interesting that there are new possibilities opening up with microsoft making it easier to convert/port android and ios apps over to windows apps. Who knows what will happen with some ingenuity?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.