Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donrsd

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2011
South Florida
Haven't been to a CVS since they declared NO APPLE PAY.
Walgreens is the same distance, and cleaner.

Thanks CVS. I will never return :)

JSB1540

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2015
I have a small healthcare office and my CC Processor updated the terminal as soon as apple pay came out. I have had it available for patients for months. I didn't realize it was there until one patient saw the wifi symbol and tried her iphone. I guess it happened when they put the chip terminal in.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I have a small healthcare office and my CC Processor updated the terminal as soon as apple pay came out. I have had it available for patients for months. I didn't realize it was there until one patient saw the wifi symbol and tried her iphone. I guess it happened when they put the chip terminal in.
Most new Chip & PIN terminals will include NFC, which enables Apple Pay. I've used it with my Apple Watch at a number of mom and pop stores alone thanks to this!

----------

That might be a while. From my understanding Walmart doesn't have NFC turned on at all in any country that they're operating in and their current management is very anti-payment card.

Walmart UK (Asda) has contact less on, but I'm not sure if it's off now! I know that all Walmart POS Systems are controlled here in the U.S. By home office in Bentonville, Ar, no matter if it's a store in China or Ireland. It's called the 'SMART System'....I worked at Walmart. If you were inclined you can check the inventory of a store across the pond.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
Walmart UK (Asda) has contact less on, but I'm not sure if it's off now! I know that all Walmart POS Systems are controlled here in the U.S. By home office in Bentonville, Ar, no matter if it's a store in China or Ireland. It's called the 'SMART System'....I worked at Walmart. If you were inclined you can check the inventory of a store across the pond.

Not sure how their non-Walmart named stores work, but I do remember hearing that their Mexican stores didn't have it turned on. /shrug

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I completely agree with you and for the longest time (well ever since Circuit City went out of business), I have been wondering when it would be BB's turn to go. However, I think that as the need for technology continues to grow the need for hardware (e.g., router, hard drive, phones, laptop etc...) as well as services, repairs and such will continue to grow as well.

With that said, one can argue that why are people still shop at BB when online stores such as Amazon are cheaper and almost just as convenient. I think the answer is that like everything else in life, not everyone is a wizard in what they need to accomplish, also not everyone has a friend that knows a thing or two about technology. For some people shopping for a computer or a router is as daunting as getting a car, and quite frankly probably even more confusing at times. At least with cars people can relate more easily, try explaining HP vs. CPU speed to an older person.

So giving that the need for hardware/service are still required, I think the market has now reached an equilibrium. With the demise of Circuit City, and Radio Shack, I think the customers are now redirect back to BB. So even thought they lost customer base to online retailers, they gained by out surviving other tech stores.

Lastly, have you seen the price they charge to "repair" computers? Most of the issues I bet they just ended up running a restore using the factory reset which takes about 10 minutes to do and just leave the computer running for the next hour or so. And frankly if it's really a hardware problem, BB would most likely have to send it back for repair anyways. I doubt they have much ability to replace a laptop's mother board or other similar fixes.

You made some good points. I think Best Buy stores serve an important function as a place to see new products, try, buy (for people not comfortable ordering online), get something repaired, etc. If BB went out of business, I think this need would be great enough that a online retailer like Amazon.com would step in and build stores themselves. Maybe not as many stores as Best Buy currently has, but enough to cover geographic areas efficiently. That's the reason we have Apple stores, as a place to showcase new products, allow the purchase of those products including impulse purchases, purchasing accessories, allow repairs, etc. For many people, buying clothes online is tricky and the same can be true for technology. On a side note, I've purchased two Sony 40" HDTVs from BB in the past two years, using my car to transport them. I tried to order one of them online twice and both times the box was damaged from shipping, first time with FedEx, second time with UPS.

Last edited:

Sbertsch78

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2014
MCX is so stupid

I have a tiny little hometown IGA in my village of 1600 people. Yes it is a Village, in Ohio. And even they now accept Apple Pay. Amazing stuff and so simple. MCX is lost and will never gain traction.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Not sure how their non-Walmart named stores work, but I do remember hearing that their Mexican stores didn't have it turned on. /shrug

It may not be named Walmart but it's still 100% Walmart. Next time you're in London, stop in. I have and you will see the handheld price scanners say Walmart right on them. The signs say Copyright 2014 Wal-Mart Stores on it. They call it "Walmart pay week" and the backend system says Walmart all over. It's the same thing, just different name on the front of the store.

cub850G2

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2014
NE
I have a tiny little hometown IGA in my village of 1600 people. Yes it is a Village, in Ohio. And even they now accept Apple Pay. Amazing stuff and so simple. MCX is lost and will never gain traction.
I've used Contactless in a town with 800 people, they had the VX520 so I had to walk over the to the card machine which was in the front of the store and instruct the cashier on how to run it, it of course worked and they thought it was very cool. :cool: I agree that MCX has no future as most of the small businesses will end up supporting Contactless like that, and we will never see MCX come to small businesses. Its a sinking ship now, just die already MCX! :)

mrcobra92

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2014
So the new ISC480's Best Buy has have no NFC anywhere on the terminal. Not on the top of the bottom left. Maybe will be an add on latter?

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
So the new ISC480's Best Buy has have no NFC anywhere on the terminal. Not on the top of the bottom left. Maybe will be an add on latter?

Contactless is built in on these terminals. They just have to enable it, and possibly just show the logo on the screen like the Verifone MX915s

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.