Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
I'm really surprised they made this material public data instead of having it as part of the MFi program. Typically, mechanical and materials data like this is passed via the MFi program for items such as case and accessory design.

Guess they wanted this out as fast as possible to avoid poor measured dimensions off the hundreds of high precision laser scans done on Apple Watches over the past two weeks for band design. Wonder how much tooling is changing right now over this.

Then again, this is a huge opportunity for silicone 3D printing. You can design any bands as you want, print it out and strap it on.

----------

Well, surprise, surprise, surprise. Not really, but much sooner than I was anticipating. Must really need the licensing revenue. ;)

My take is they are avoiding bad overseas reverse engineering of mechanical dimensions and bad materials selections.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
That means nothing unless a similar non Apple case in the same condition would have survived unscathed. Maybe its the environment you put it in that made it peel.

It means my case $50 is peeling,nothing more nothing less. And the"environment"of my pocket(LOL) hasn't caused problems for a succession of iPhones,so I'd kind of expect a piece of silicone to hold up as well,wouldn't you? anyway I'm not bothered much by it,just thought I'd add that to the passionate discussion of cheap cases.Do continue.

----------

I've had no issues with mine. Best :apple: case I've ever owned.

That's great!!

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
It means my case $50 is peeling,nothing more nothing less. And the"environment"of my pocket(LOL) hasn't caused problems for a succession of iPhones,so I'd kind of expect a piece of silicone to hold up as well,wouldn't you? anyway I'm not bothered much by it,just thought I'd add that to the passionate discussion of cheap cases.Do continue.

----------

That's great!!

That's what I'm saying. Unless you put that other case of silicone in your pocket during the same period, you don't know if it would have lasted. I somehow doubt Apple is skimping on their machines just to save 1 cent over the cheapest of Chinese knockoff. Maybe there was something in those pockets that caused the issue, or you simply had a lemon; there is no way to know either way. If everyone has the same experience as you; then, maybe I'd be all up on Apple to kick their supplier's ass.

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
One poster here mentioned that his company contacted a manufacturer in China to have something custom built for them, and they were quoted four different prices for four different quality levels. I'm sure that the some manufacturer in China is quite capable of building a charger that is rock solid and will work forever, another that kills you instantly, and two levels in between, all at different prices. As an end user, the problem is you don't know which one you are getting.

Well said, thanks for sharing.

NeutralGeek

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2015
I've had no issues with mine. Best :apple: case I've ever owned.

This. Still loving my still gorgeous iP6+ Apple silicon white case! Holding it while I am typing this ... bought it a day ot two after launch day - September last year.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Leave my :apple:watch alone !!.. Its mine,, all mine,,, and u can't change that :)

I can't believe Apple would go so low and even right down to what the band should be made off.... Hope these are only just guidelines, and not requirements

Far to strict.... Its a band for heavens sake, not the winter Olympics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.