Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boatboy24

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2011
1 Infinite Loop
It's simple, really. Just give me something that works like AirPlay that allows me to stream music to the stereo, video to the back seat screens, and (only if I want it) navigation on screen. The nav is really useless, IMHO though. Just let me use Maps, and stream the directions through the cars audio. Generally, if someone is telling me where I need to turn, I don't need to look at a map on giant screen in the dash. Designing a UI around this whole business is a waste of time, if you ask me.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
bummer, so I wasn't mislead.

Jailbreak has too many negatives to be an option. The rest of us will keep waiting for a properly supported solution.

Guess I miss what the negative is? It sucks if you install a bunch of junk but jailbreaking and installing Appradio Extension makes it no less stable than factory original. The addition of RoqyBT means I can connect to cheap $12 OBD-II Bluetooth devices rather than spending over $100 for one that works with the factory Bluetooth stack which is really cut down and limited.

Joey225

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2011
New Jersey
Test drove the 2014 Civic today, installed all the HondaLink apps aside from Navigation.

You don't switch between the apps, the system does it automatically. Once you plug in your phone you really don't need to worry about it at all, everything just runs and if the car needs to use a specific app it launches and switches automatically and seamlessly.

Honestly the system works very well and in my time using it (about an hour) I can say that it honestly doesn't deserve the backlash people are giving it here.

ahoover

macrumors member
May 11, 2004
Have a 2013 Honda Pilot 4WD Touring w/Nav. Honda will not succeed with the digital integration until they offer their services across all models and firmware retrofit/upgrades for earlier models. The iPhone 5/5S integration is fair at best. Simply adding the capability to push the voice command button on the streering wheel to launch Siri would be a huge improvement (presently works by manually pushing the Home button on the iPhone) or adding it to the hands free voice command like the iPod commands.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Test drove the 2014 Civic today, installed all the HondaLink apps aside from Navigation.

You don't switch between the apps, the system does it automatically. Once you plug in your phone you really don't need to worry about it at all, everything just runs and if the car needs to use a specific app it launches and switches automatically and seamlessly.

Honestly the system works very well and in my time using it (about an hour) I can say that it honestly doesn't deserve the backlash people are giving it here.

Does it use up carrier data ? That would be a $$ in the long run if not on unlimited using the navigation part.

Joey225

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2011
New Jersey
Does it use up carrier data ? That would be a $$ in the long run if not on unlimited using the navigation part.

It will use carrier data if you're streaming from Aha, or using the navigation, yes. But I can't imagine navigation using a ton of data, all I use is my phone's navigation anymore instead of my GPS unit and I've never had a data issue.

mpr99

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2015
I've bought the HRV and I tried a few app!The Hondalink is quite bad,does anyone one know if there one app that allow to use Waze and spotify or soundscloud.
I tried EC touch it works but you have to pay for use most of the app.
I like the Easycar app coz it look like the same app but contain waze,spotify and all the good app for free but it doesn't connect to the car video screen,does anyone know why?Is there any tweak we can do to the car to make it work?

bethgb

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2015
Seriously Flawed

I purchased the cable and the app and returned both. The cable is an awesome idea - but Honda's navigation app lacks basic functionality, such as giving more than one route so you can assess traffic and decide which way to go. Reviewers in the app store stated the last mile is wrong as often as it is right. I tested the app by putting in some challenging Boston destinations. The routes it provides were bizarre (like going down Mass Ave - a road with lights ever block or two) from the suburbs into the city.

When I was sold the car and the cable I was told I could use ANY GPS app on my phone. But this is not true. The screen turns off when you put the car in drive. But only Honda's navigation app will work and the app is a piece of ****. Don't buy the cable, don't buy the Nav app. Everything else on the phone will work through bluetooth.

SHAME ON HONDA for trying to pass off a seriously substandard piece of technology. Great idea. But the Honda GPS is so bad it is worthless. They should just enable the cable to work with any app. But I'm back to my phone on the dashboard.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
The whole problem with car in house maps and antiquated voice controls are out-of-date less than 1 year after the purchase of a new car! Cell phones surpassed those things back in 2008 and look decades ahead in those areas.

Honda just doesn't want to give up those ridiculous fees they charge for mapping updates! :mad:

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Wasn't Carplay supposed to fix all these issues and provide a user friendly, integrated experience?

Honda seems to be going around the block to visit their next door neighbor here. Why can't they just implement Carplay?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.