Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

al404

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2011
Novara, Italy
is not really a programming question but i guess here i can find somebody that can have an answer

i'm developing a web application based on mysql DB and a often need to share my tables with a non technical person that uses a MAC and need to analyze data inside tables

at this moment i just export as CVS as sharing file format

i was wondering is there is an easy way to share a DB like an access file for some software that can be for mac only

what i need to do is to export my tables to that DB and send it as standalone file

so exporting should be an easy and fast task

blackboxideas

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2012
Could you set up a mySQL database on a host they can access?

sequelpro is a pretty easy to look at / understand interface, they could install that and use the remote host you'd set up to view the data.

superscape

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
East Riding of Yorkshire, UK
Can't you just do a mysqldump and give the other user that?

https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/mysqldump.html

...or you can do the same thing through Sequel Pro as blackboxideas suggests. An alternative might be to just give the user read only access to your database if they just need to run a few queries to analyse what's there?

Also, if you go the Sequel Pro route, you can dump the data to CSV if you really must! ;-)

ahall52

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2013
Is your database currently accessible online or is it local on your development machine?

typonaut

macrumors member
May 7, 2014
Give them a MySQL dump, or if they can access your server let them have access with a client like Navicat.

ghellquist

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2011
Stockholm Sweden
SQlite ?

Possibly.
You could dump the database to SQLite. SQLite databases comes as a single file and is easy to transport to other machines. It is also built-in to Mac OS as well as IOS. (Started with sqlite3 command).
// Gunnar

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.