Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which of the following do you think is the best email service?

• iCloud (also includes Me.com and Mac.com)

Votes: 29 32.2%
  • Gmail

Votes: 26 28.9%
  • Outlook.com (also includes Hotmail.com and Live.com)

Votes: 17 18.9%
  • Yahoo

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • FastMail.com

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Custom Domain (for example, your own business domain or personal domain)

Votes: 8 8.9%
  • Other (specify the email service)

Votes: 5 5.6%

• Total voters

Hayakuro

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2014
Mine is pretty much a mess. I haven't found any that is the best at everything so I have everything parsed out right now.

Email - I use Outlook.com because I like the ActiveSync feature and the UI. It's also fast and responsive through the web UI (a complaint that is preventing me from using iCloud email exclusively).

Cloud Storage - I save my photos on OneDrive because it is pretty easy to view them. This is as stopgap until Apple releases the revised version of Photos. I then store all of my docs with Google Drive because I am a huge fan of the indexing. It makes it so much easier to find files.

Calendar and Contacts - I store these in iCloud because I like the UI and responsiveness. You still can't add a photo to your contacts, outside of syncing with Facebook or Google in Outlook. I thought this was 2015? :)

iCloud definitely supports contact images, and does so much better than Google Contacts in my experience.

Photography

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
I have been trying to find out the true amount of inbox storage space for Outlook.com, and have seen conflicting information. On their website, they claim that Outlook.com offers "virtually unlimited storage that gradually increases based on use." However, on the Microsoft answers forum, I have seen several responses from Microsoft employees indicating there is a 5gb limit for free Outlook.com accounts. Which is it? Anyone who has a free Outlook.com account have any detailed insight on this?

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
Icloud has the most elementary and useless UI I've seen. And the storage space is limited by your icloud space which is also stupid. Just my opinion.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I have been trying to find out the true amount of inbox storage space for Outlook.com, and have seen conflicting information. On their website, they claim that Outlook.com offers "virtually unlimited storage that gradually increases based on use." However, on the Microsoft answers forum, I have seen several responses from Microsoft employees indicating there is a 5gb limit for free Outlook.com accounts. Which is it? Anyone who has a free Outlook.com account have any detailed insight on this?
According to Microsoft the limit grows as you keep using the service. Presumably the initial 5GB is not a "hard limit", but just a soft quota that prevents a user from suddenly dumping large amounts of data into a new account, probably to prevent abuse by people who open new accounts for nefarious purposes (spammers etc.). I haven't hit 5GB yet though, so I have no direct experience.

Photography

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
Thank you for the insight into the space limits with Outlook.com. Anyone else here use Fastmail? If so, how do you like the service and how long have you been using them?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.