Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
all my Mac's have crt screens so no problem there with dimming or brighten up , i can even make the screen go old english white .... if i set the target white point to ...D50 ,makes a nice warm color
wiki : CIE Standard Illuminant D50, a lighting standard used in colorimetry, and also in graphic design as a white point

by the way i guess that might help the op , as even dimmed white pages are still white and shiny
if he can on the lcd's calibration, set the white point to d50, this dimmed pages would become a warm color .. you can store different calibration settings , and just switch between them if you need to

i use the d50 setting during night as its seems to be more comfy for the eyes, just try it out in nighttime it works brilliant , no more hurting eyes

Johnathan69

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2010
Screen Too Bright (even at dimmest default)

...in the dark.

Right now I'm in a dark room and it's really hurting my eyes because of the brightness. Is there an app or something that can make the screen get even dimmer/brighter?

There are quite a few good apps out there (for free):
Shades - like this one as it is a menubar app (but conflicts with f.lux)

F.lux - great for not just dimming but actually ADJUSTING the colour for nighttime viewing (I find that I still need to reduce the brightness also)
(http://stereopsis.com/flux/) The lighting might seem a little strange at first, but you will (should) notice a huge reduction in the strain on your eyes after trying it.

Black Light - just installed due to conflict Shades was having with F.lux
(http://michelf.com/projects/black-light/)
Other apps seem to work, although, with some "drop down" selectors with different softwares, the "drop downs" seem to appear above the 'dimmed filter' creating a sudden bright spot in the display -- Black Light seems to be good for that AND compatible with F.lux

Good luck,
Johnathan

Nago

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2010
Madrid, Spain
There are quite a few good apps out there (for free):
Shades - like this one as it is a menubar app (but conflicts with f.lux)

F.lux - great for not just dimming but actually ADJUSTING the colour for nighttime viewing (I find that I still need to reduce the brightness also)
(http://stereopsis.com/flux/) The lighting might seem a little strange at first, but you will (should) notice a huge reduction in the strain on your eyes after trying it.

Black Light - just installed due to conflict Shades was having with F.lux
(http://michelf.com/projects/black-light/)
Other apps seem to work, although, with some "drop down" selectors with different softwares, the "drop downs" seem to appear above the 'dimmed filter' creating a sudden bright spot in the display -- Black Light seems to be good for that AND compatible with F.lux

Good luck,
Johnathan

Thanks, this is what I do:

F.lux is ALWAYS running in the background. Love it.

I run SmartSaver at night. It doesn't cut it for me, that's why I'm looking for something else. It works kinda like adjustable-opacity grey layers on your screen.

EDIT: Black Light works great. Found a substitute for SmartSaver, thx!

Aechtech1

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2011
screen toobright even at lowest brightness

my ipd is really bright and when lower the brightness it stell the same:mad::(:apple:

lopkiol

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2013
...in the dark.

Right now I'm in a dark room and it's really hurting my eyes because of the brightness. Is there an app or something that can make the screen get even dimmer/brighter?

I'm totally with you. It looks like Apple has put a lower bound to the brightness of their screens. What is even worse is that it has never explained why.
There is absolutely no way to use a MacBook in total darkness without having your eyes hurt.
All the apps around use silly tricks on the gamma that change invariably the contrast of your display.

digitalhen

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
I'm totally with you. It looks like Apple has put a lower bound to the brightness of their screens. What is even worse is that it has never explained why.
There is absolutely no way to use a MacBook in total darkness without having your eyes hurt.
All the apps around use silly tricks on the gamma that change invariably the contrast of your display.

(Brought back a 3-year-old thread from the dead, but still...)

Sure there is: http://www.charcoaldesign.co.uk/shades

It works really well

idtolhah

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2015
This steps resolve my problem. In white point option, I choose "9300"

Guessing that your computer is running Snow Leopard. Apple upgraded the gamma to 2.2, making the display brighter. You can try calibrating your display to move it back to the old gamma (1.8). To do this, follow these steps:

1. Launch System Preferences
2. Click Displays and then click Color at the top
3. Select Color LCD and then hit Calibrate...
4. Follow the steps, making sure you select 1.8 as the gamma.

This steps resolve my problem. In white point option, I choose "9300". Thanks

noura

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2018
...in the dark.

I've struggled with this as well, download "Brightness slider" app, its free and works like a charm, don't fall for the expensive ones! good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.