Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
Yes, I think.

I purchase an USBC cable with a USBA male end on it to attempt to plug it into my USB Hub.

What happened was this:

The USB Hub has a 5 V output and the 12" rMB recognized the power coming from it and began to charge. How fast is anyone's guess because I didn't wait to find out if it would fully charge.

What I did find out is a USBC adapter from the rMB is required to plug it into any external USB hub device.

Yeah, I had seen it confirmed in some commercial reviews that the iPad charger does indeed charge the Macbook, although at an of course reduced rate.

What is really interesting to me now is if I can go one step further and use this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261870590062 and use a male USB-A to male USB-A from the iPad charger to the hub to charge the MB. That would be pretty slick for me, even if it only provided enough power to charge very slowly.

mafaky

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
Yeah, I had seen it confirmed in some commercial reviews that the iPad charger does indeed charge the Macbook, although at an of course reduced rate.

What is really interesting to me now is if I can go one step further and use this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261870590062 and use a male USB-A to male USB-A from the iPad charger to the hub to charge the MB. That would be pretty slick for me, even if it only provided enough power to charge very slowly.

Mmmm, I really doubt this unless Apple has designed in a very special battery (say an advanced iPad battery) that has a terminal voltage like 4.5-5Vdc to power all the new retina MacBook circuitry...:eek:

The standard voltage output of an iPad Charger (either the old 10watt or the current 12watt models) is a stabilised 5Vdc. So if the new retina MacBook can be charged at a 5vdc voltage, then yes the iPad charger will work but the charging period will take much longer bcz. iPad charger's max output current is limited to a theoretical 2.4 Ampere (for the 12watt model...).

The USBA type male plug (at one end of the charging cable) can withstand voltages much more than the USB standard of 5 volts. So technically there's no limitation at that side. Also the new USBC standard can work out much higher voltages and current ratings (as said...).

But I highly doubt that a low terminal voltage battery setup is used in the new retina MacBook. Looks to me pretty much technically unworkable...:cool:

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
Mmmm, I really doubt this unless Apple has designed in a very special battery (say an advanced iPad battery) that has a terminal voltage like 4.5-5Vdc to power all the new retina MacBook circuitry...:eek:

The standard voltage output of an iPad Charger (either the old 10watt or the current 12watt models) is a stabilised 5Vdc. So if the new retina MacBook can be charged at a 5vdc voltage, then yes the iPad charger will work but the charging period will take much longer bcz. iPad charger's max output current is limited to a theoretical 2.4 Ampere (for the 12watt model...).

The USBA type male plug (at one end of the charging cable) can withstand voltages much more than the USB standard of 5 volts. So technically there's no limitation at that side. Also the new USBC standard can work out much higher voltages and current ratings (as said...).

But I highly doubt that a low terminal voltage battery setup is used in the new retina MacBook. Looks to me pretty much technically unworkable...:cool:

Yeah, I get all that. Like I said, it has already been confirmed that it does indeed charge the MB. So I am quietly optimistic that this actually will work.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
I purchased this (it's $2.60) from eBay and it arrived and works great. USB-C to 2 USB-A port adapter. Good deal for those of you that don't want to spend the money for the Apple one. I have an external HD connected now and it works perfectly fine. http://www.ebay.com/itm/321803058743

mpainesyd

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Just went to test running the rMB from a power-bank and realised it has a USB3 female socket and there is no cable to connect it and the rMB. I would need:
a) a female USB-C to male USB3 connector to use the rMB power cord (it has male USB-c connection to the power supply) or
b) a male USB3 to male USB-c cord.

As it happens I have a male USB-C to female USB3 connector on order. I will have to see if I can figure out how to use this.

Apple power cable: male USB-c --- male USB-c
Satechi power bank: female USB3
Adapter male USB3 --- male USB-c
or male USB3 --- female USB-c >> Apple power cord
or male USB3 --- male USB3 >>> Apple female USB3 to male USB-c adapter

Here is one possibility:
http://www.banggood.com/USB-Type-C-...B-3_0-Male-Type-A-For-Data-Sync-p-984381.html

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.