Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hdub32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2015
I'm planning on getting a 4k monitor and running it at 1080p pixel doubled (retina).

If I'm running at this resolution, is 60hz still necessary? Would there still be mouse lag at 30hz?

Any help would be appreciated

bootz

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2014
30 hz is unusable for productivity for long periods of time, regardless of the resolution.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Agreed. So first have a Mac that is ready for 4K @ 60, then purchase the monitor. If not, upgrade the Mac before getting the monitor.

You might want to wait until WWDC next month to see what Apple says about when they will move to the Skylake series of processors and chipsets. Those will introduce TB3 which will support 5k over a single cable. That sets the stage for having a updated Thunderbolt Display doing 5k over TB3 with the new Skylake based Macs. It could also mean that Macs that can do 4k today at 60 could also do 4K at 60 via TB2 towards the new Apple Display. So Apple would have a market for such a monitor.

I would love to replace my Thunderbolt display with one doing 4K via TB2.

Hdub32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2015
I just ordered the Acer B276HK 27in 4k monitor. Does 60hz so I'll see how it performs on my 2015 13in rMBP

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.