Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobsebnz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2014
Installing Windows 8.1 on bootcamp in Yosemite in MacbookPro 2009 mid

How do i install windows 8.1 or the latest in bootcamp in a Macbook pro 15 inch 2.53 ghz 2009 mid ? i tried installing parallels, but the system is damn slow due to graphics driven programmes running. My cd drive got some issues and wont accept any cds. So I have gotta rely upon the experts in macrumours:cool::cool: to find a solution to boot OS from usb.

So I followed

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1680652/

I have followed this process and successfully completed 15 percent of the process, so far so good

Now i reached the stage where its asking for partion ... hope no more surprises to the next stages.

What I could see is that bootcamp let me create bootable version of only windows 7, 64 bit version !!!

If everything goes well and if i see windows 7 installed, will i ever be able to upgrade to windows 8.1 in bootcamp ?

Or is it restricted only upto Windows 7 for older MBPs on bootcamp ?

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Installing Windows 8.1 on bootcamp in Yosemite in MacbookPro 2009 mid

How do i install windows 8.1 or the latest in bootcamp in a Macbook pro 15 inch 2.53 ghz 2009 mid ? i tried installing parallels, but the system is damn slow due to graphics driven programmes running. My cd drive got some issues and wont accept any cds. So I have gotta rely upon the experts in macrumours:cool::cool: to find a solution to boot OS from usb.

So I followed

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1680652/

I have followed this process and successfully completed 15 percent of the process, so far so good

Now i reached the stage where its asking for partion ... hope no more surprises to the next stages.

What I could see is that bootcamp let me create bootable version of only windows 7, 64 bit version !!!

If everything goes well and if i see windows 7 installed, will i ever be able to upgrade to windows 8.1 in bootcamp ?

Or is it restricted only upto Windows 7 for older MBPs on bootcamp ?
Anything older than 2010 MBPs (2009 and earlier) will only support Windows 7 and not 8.

That said, you can just create a bootable Windows USB installer and also create a FAT32 partition (using Disk Utility). Then, boot from the Windows USB installer, format the FAT32 partition from there and then install Windows to there.

bobsebnz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2014
Thanks indeed for your swift response, highly appreciate it

Thats sad we couldnt update anything anything beyond win 7.

Meanwhile I ve got stucked at boot stage after partitioning the drive.

while booting up Windows 7 from the partition drive I get a black screen with an error message : "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key". Pressing the keys on my keyboard does nothing. So i ve gotta forced to do a hard shutdown. I tried different ISO but i am getting the same error again.
Can someone help me in solving this issue.

I am using a 16 gb sandisk sd card on a usb adapter. Is this give any different effect than using a proper usb ? Its already formatted with fat32 and installed with bootable Win 7 version using bootcamp.

One more thing i noticed is that even though i had 55 gb free space left on the disk, boot camp limits to partitioning only upto 36gb ? Is it some kind of software glitch ?

I had created bootcamp partion previously in early versions of OSX and did let me partition beyond 36gb, i reckon it was 45 gb. The only difference from then is I have replaced the current sata drive with a solid satate drive.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
Thanks indeed for your swift response, highly appreciate it

Thats sad we couldnt update anything anything beyond win 7.

Meanwhile I ve got stucked at boot stage after partitioning the drive.

while booting up Windows 7 from the partition drive I get a black screen with an error message : "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key". Pressing the keys on my keyboard does nothing. So i ve gotta forced to do a hard shutdown. I tried different ISO but i am getting the same error again.
Can someone help me in solving this issue.

I am using a 16 gb sandisk sd card on a usb adapter. Is this give any different effect than using a proper usb ? Its already formatted with fat32 and installed with bootable Win 7 version using bootcamp.

One more thing i noticed is that even though i had 55 gb free space left on the disk, boot camp limits to partitioning only upto 36gb ? Is it some kind of software glitch ?

I had created bootcamp partion previously in early versions of OSX and did let me partition beyond 36gb, i reckon it was 45 gb. The only difference from then is I have replaced the current sata drive with a solid satate drive.
The SD card shouldn't be a factor.

How about this, if you have another Windows environment, download ISO to USB on it. Then put the ISO in that Windows environment as well. Then use ISO to USB to create a bootable USB stick out of the ISO.

Then when starting up the Mac, hold down the Option key and then stick the USB stick in. Then select the Windows USB stick to boot from.

bobsebnz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2014
Thanks a ton for the help, it worked perfectly

I had few issues down the line in formatting the partitioned drive, but somehow it got solved as well. So now its working perfectly.

I must say this forum is always been my best resort in solving all my issues on mac. Thanks a lot my friend, much appreciated with ur help

Currently I ve got left with only less than 5gb free space in bootcamp drive. Is thr any way I can resize hard disk space beyond 36gb ? I couldnt do this while partitioned the drive, as mouse selector didnt didnt let me select anything beyond 36 gb, bit strange though ? any solution for this ?

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
Thanks a ton for the help, it worked perfectly

I had few issues down the line in formatting the partitioned drive, but somehow it got solved as well. So now its working perfectly.

I must say this forum is always been my best resort in solving all my issues on mac. Thanks a lot my friend, much appreciated with ur help

Currently I ve got left with only less than 5gb free space in bootcamp drive. Is thr any way I can resize hard disk space beyond 36gb ? I couldnt do this while partitioned the drive, as mouse selector didnt didnt let me select anything beyond 36 gb, bit strange though ? any solution for this ?

Nope, you can't.

You can only resize the drive by deleting the Boot Camp partition and merging it back into a single partition, then create a larger partition and reinstall Windows.

Although you have 55GB free, I think Disk Utility won't let you partition more than 36GB to leave enough space for random usage in the OS X side. You need to get a bigger hard drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.