Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Can't even download the iPhoto update now.

As long as iPhoto is available in the "purchased" section of the App Store, deleting the existing copy and redownloading from there will get the most recent, Yosemite compatible, version. In any case, we're off topic here.

abn0038

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012
Still not seeing the 8.0.6 update

in the app store, that may be a good thing, has it been pulled by :apple:?

iMac 21.5 Mid 2011

And as if by magic… it appears.

still may not install it.

Last edited:

bluski9

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2012
not showing up in app store

currently running safari 7.1.3 in mavericks but when do the software update check, app store does not show that safari needs updating..

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
in the app store, that may be a good thing, has it been pulled by :apple:?

iMac 21.5 Mid 2011

And as if by magic… it appears.

still may not install it.
• 8.0.6 is definitely improved over all of 8.0.x, but, not yet complete.

Last edited:

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States

So, some months ago, I was about to do a clean install of Yosemite and was trying to avoid installing Flash. I tested how much CPU Flash uses on my Mac, Safari used the least CPU power (fastest), Google Chrome (using it's Flash emulator or whatever) used a lot more CPU (I think it was like 20-30% more). I don't have Chrome, I hate google, so deleted it when I found Safari to be better, (also hate Flash, but, only way to watch some video still), but, anyone know, has Google made improvements to Chrome's speed/CPU usage recently? Maybe I should try it again?
I have done another test, Safari, Firefox, Chrome, all while playing the exact same flash video (via Hulu). Safari wins, as it still uses less CPU load than the rest. Firefox is a close second, but, since Chrome uses emulation or offline flash processing, it uses much more CPU load than the others still, so Chrome goes back in the Trash can. (I wish all the web would put Flash in the trash.). If Hulu would change free accounts to HTML5 or enable free accounts on ATV or iOS I might be able to dump flash. (Hulu+ customers get ATV & iOS, but, also still get commercials & ads, so I won't pay.)

The odd thing is, my CPU temp was hovering around 90º-92ºC before testing (it must shut down around 95ºC), and the really odd thing is that all of these were running the CPU around 85º-90ºC w/fan at full speed. I would think more CPU load would mean hotter CPU, so, that's confusing. But, I do have to say, Firefox and Chrome has more "jiggles" with the video than Safari.

So, Safari is still first pick for browsing and video.

(screenshots were taken while watching the same exact episode on hulu at full screen on second monitor, while doing nothing else.)

Attachments

• Screen Shot Google Chrome and flash.jpg
    Screen Shot Google Chrome and flash.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 112
  • Screen Shot Firefox and flash.jpg
    Screen Shot Firefox and flash.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 89
  • Screen Shot Safari and flash.jpg
    Screen Shot Safari and flash.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 95

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Same here, though I've been using Firefox for a couple of months now. Occasionally, I'll open Safari (most often by mistake lately) but it will just hang and not opening anything unless I reboot. Then it begins to hang shortly after. It's pretty useless.

Then there is something obviously wrong with your computer - it's too old or you have installed some software that is causing it trouble or there is a OS problem. Perhaps this patch fixes it. Maybe it affects a certain subset of users. Who knows what it could be.

It is simply not normal behaviour. And it doesn't seem to be affecting a large amount of people.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I wish Lion was still getting Safari updates, as there are a heap of Macs which are capable of running 10.8, 10.9 and 10.10, but Apple couldn't be bothered writing a graphics driver for them, thus stranding them on Lion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.