Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaelsaxon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
I'm trying to transfer several large files to my Drobo 5D and they consistently get stuck at 10-12 GB and then just sit there with no progress until I cancel the transfer.

It happens if I bulk transfer or if I try one at a time. I've tried rebooting. The Drobo works fine otherwise and I've not had this problem in the past.

I've tried searching for this online and in the Drobo forums but haven't found anything that helps.

Any ideas? As it stands, I can't get these large files from my desktop to the Drobo, where I want them to live! Thanks.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
have you tried:

different ports

different cables (this one is not to skip over as this got me out of something similar)

trying this with a different mac

latest dashboard and drobo firmware (see support site for latest release which is march 2015 from memory)

michaelsaxon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
Thank you for the suggestions.

I tried the other Thunderbolt port-- no change.

I don't have another Thunderbolt cable to try out, but I'll see if I can get one.

No other Mac available.

I didn't have the latest firmware (thanks!) and I updated to 3.2.0-- no change.

A 17.6 GB file, for instance, the first time got to 11.9 GB and then stopped. The next time 12.14GB then stopped. Different large files do the same thing. This is maddening.

michaelsaxon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
I've just tried another Thunderbolt cable, OEM from Apple and nothing.

Files won't go at all now. Everything reads fine off of the Drobo. The Drobo itself mounts as three different drives on my desktop:

Drobo, 4.4 TB, 4.4 TB free;

Drobo, 4.4 TB, 4.4 TB free;

and The Saxon Drobo (my name), 4.4 TB, 28.48 GB Free

According to the Drobo dashboard, I have loads of space left (several terabytes) and I have no problems.

I don't know what to do, but my workflows are beginning to shut down and I'm running out of non-Drobo drive space.

Any ideas?

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Just sounds like errors in the transfer, perhaps a defective Drobo controller or internal circuit.... or drive. Their "Data-Aware Tiering technology" may be storing ~16GB in flash while waiting for the drive, and when the drive doesn't show up... it stalls. I dunno, just guessing, I don't have a Drobo, been using OWC and LaCie stuff. A drive can fail in ways that cause mysterious symptoms.

Did you try to reseat the drives or move them from slot to slot? Perhaps a lock or permission thing on the drive itself.

Have you tried disk repair things? Can you reformat the drive? Did you try both TB and USB (the 5D includes a USB port right?)

Last edited:

michaelsaxon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
Yeah, I'll next try USB 3.0. I have a trouble ticket in with Drobo as well.

I've not yet rebuilt the array or swapped drives, though I did go from one-drive to two-drive redundancy and that did some rebuilding on its own.

Thanks.

michaelsaxon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
The problem remains when using USB.

I'll wait to hear back from Drobo, but all signs point to rebuilding the array.

michaelsaxon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
Well, my Drobo is out of the warranty period, so I'm getting stiff armed by Drobo.

I'll just try to find the space to save all of my existing stuff on other HDs and then rebuild the array.

Also, this is my last Drobo purchase, after owning three.

michaelsaxon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
Rebuilding the array appears to have worked. Case closed. Thanks to those who offered advice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.